Why is my son always sick? Allergies - Mothering Forums
Allergies > Why is my son always sick? Allergies
WaM2012's Avatar WaM2012 10:54 AM 11-27-2012

My son was home with me since birth, he started daycare in August 2012, at 17mths. He is now 20 months and seems to be constantly sick! Either ear infection, bad cough along with runny nose, a high fever, virus... seems like it's always something. When he was an infant he had severe eczema, he's broken out since then after eating eggs, taking amoxicillian, augmentin (both antibiotics), then just other random times. He's been doing that since he was about 4 or 5 months old. I've taken him to the dr almost every time because daycare won't let him back any sooner if I don't. I've taken him to get tested for allergies but he has very tiny veins and they roll, so they haven't been able to get much blood if any at ALL!! I stopped the testing because I felt bad watching him go through so much pain and it's not like it was hurting him too bad... But now he's got a green thick snotty runny nose, a cough and a lot of congestion. And now recently his eyes have so much gunk in them through the night that he has a hard time opening them in the morning, I have to take a warm wash cloth and wipe the stuff off for him. His father and I are divorced and I noticed a pattern of him getting sick every time he came back from his fathers house. He was with me for 3 weeks and didn't get sick once, then he goes with his dad for the weekend, come back sick! I recently took him to another dr to get a second opinion and she acted just like the peditrician (since birth) has acted, like it's just his immunity building up. But I'm starting to think maybe he's got allergies. I'm taking him to an allergist today, hopefully will get some answers from that.

I really want to know if him getting this sick is normal for kids starting in daycare, and switching back and forth from my house to his dads house... or if there is something wrong with his immunity...

Has anyone else had issues like this with their kids??

Seeking answers/advice.

scsigrl's Avatar scsigrl 11:18 AM 11-27-2012

SOunds pretty typical of a kid going into daycare to me. The same has happened with mine when they started.  One had allergies and one doesn't.  

All in all, nothing screams allergy to me.  It sure does stink though! I know. Hang in there and hugs!

Tags: Allergies
Up