trying to figure this out for 5 month old DD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

As the title says I have a 5 (almost 6 months old) baby and her Dad had multiple allergies as a child.

She has no eczema, not fussy (other than at nursing time) and sleeps OK. She has mucusy stools and refuses to nurse most of the time. She only nurses lying down while drowsy. This has been going on for almost 4 months now. She is gaining weight although she is leaner than my older two were at her age.  I`ve never had a baby who refuses to nurse this much. I`ve been thinking about switching to formula (especially after a bad day or two) but I figure if her refusal to nurse is due to sensitivities she will do terrible on most formulas.

I`ve been off all obvious dairy for two months and soy for the most part. I admit I haven`t been reading labels though. It`s almost impossible to avoid all soy since we live in Japan and practically everything has soy in it.

Does this sound like food sensitivities to you? Since there is no eczema and she a happy baby otherwise would the problem lie somewhere else?

I am very desperate about this. I can`t imagine going through this refusal stage for at least another 6 months. My goal is to breastfeed her at least till she is one but I`m already going crazy.

Any input is appreciated.

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
#2 of 10 Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

All I can say is that it won't hurt to try, but figuring out the particular food may be hard.  If it is going to work though, you have to eliminate ALL traces of the food.  It's hard to do, but if she is getting a protein that she is intolerant to, it's going to give her a reaction period.  Doesn't matter if it's a little or a lot.  The mucus is a definite red flag that her gut is inflamed though, so I would think that there is something bothering her for sure. 

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#3 of 10 Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 AM

Can you not have her tested for allergies?  My ds had blood and green mucous in his diaper as well as eczema.  He had an IgE blood test at 5 months that identified several food allergies.  After I removed all those from my diet, the symptoms disappeared.  Really, I think testing is so much easier than a food diary.  I know that IgE tests won't pick up delayed reactions, but why not get as many definite answers as possible.  I hope you can figure it out soon!  It sounds like if you can't get testing (or if it doesn't help), then you are either going to have to be super strict with your diet- like just a few foods for several days and then slowly add things in one at a time and wait for a reaction- or switch your dd to formula/table food so it is easy to know exactly what she is getting.

#4 of 10 Old 01-10-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnberries View Post

Can you not have her tested for allergies?  My ds had blood and green mucous in his diaper as well as eczema.  He had an IgE blood test at 5 months that identified several food allergies.  After I removed all those from my diet, the symptoms disappeared.  Really, I think testing is so much easier than a food diary.  I know that IgE tests won't pick up delayed reactions, but why not get as many definite answers as possible.  I hope you can figure it out soon!  It sounds like if you can't get testing (or if it doesn't help), then you are either going to have to be super strict with your diet- like just a few foods for several days and then slowly add things in one at a time and wait for a reaction- or switch your dd to formula/table food so it is easy to know exactly what she is getting.

This isn't necessary, and with suspected food allergies will likely make the problem worse. 

How are things looking, OP?

#5 of 10 Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post

This isn't necessary, and with suspected food allergies will likely make the problem worse. 

How are things looking, OP?

How could allergy testing make it worse?  It helped us a ton.

#6 of 10 Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

If you look, she bolded the statement that would make it worse. 

If you are set on BFing and you suspect foods I would start a detailed food log.  I would also talk to your Dr about silent reflux.

#7 of 10 Old 01-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I didn't mean the allergy testing - that could definitely help OP, I was referring to the switching to formula - it has many of the major allergens in it, and I have seen babies fail to thrive even on the predigested formula (I donated milk to one), and OP's baby is still much too young to be relying solely on table foods.  Having BTDT, I can understand wanting to make that change to make things easier, but I truly believe, at least in our situation, that it would have made things worse...and many times that break is enough to decrease supply and if LO was reacting to formula negatively, then OP would be stuck, and that would be even more of a nightmare. 

I wasn't intending to be snarky toward you, just in a hurry. 

#8 of 10 Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM

My ds did half Neutramigen formula and half breastmilk until he was 2 years old.  I did keep a food diary.  And he did have testing.  They tested for the top 8 or so things + a couple of things I suspected.  I just thought my perspective/experience might be helpful. I have been dealing with food allergies (immediate and delayed reactions+ some environmentals) for 6 years and it started when he was an infant too.  Our course has worked well for us up to now.

#9 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

How did I not notice all the posts on my own thread??duh.gif

Thank you everyone for your replies. DD is now 9 months old but we still struggle. To my shame I never ended up eliminating all dairy.

We did the allergy testing at 7 months. They tested for a wide variety of major allergens. All came back negative. I cautiously added back dairy/soy into my diet.

She still has low weight gain and the occasional mucus in her poo. She loves solids but I have been very cautious with what I give her. She mostly eats rice with veggies and chicken. She also loves bananas and apples.

I still think she has a food sensitivity. Just can`t put my finger on it. help.gif

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
#10 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 06:23 AM

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

I'm wondering if this could be the issue?

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page