Lactose Free Pumpkin Pie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I love pumpkin, and love pumpkin pie.  But, I want it WITHOUT milk. 

So, here's how I make my pumpkin pie.

one can of pumpkin

two roasted pumpkins

2 eggs

1pt. of melted Rice Dream

a tiny pinch of sea salt

spices like powdered ginger, clove and cinnamon (your choice)

Basically, I'm replacing one can of pumpkin to roasted pumpkins, and evaporated milk to melted Rice Dream.

First, I cut the acorn pumpkins in a half and brush-on the melted coconut oil on the cut surface.  With seeds still attached, I put the pumpkins on the baking sheet, with the cut surface down.  (I prefer to use with my clay pot with a lid.  I think the pumpkins comes out evenly roasted, sweet, and fluffy.)   Roast them in a oven for 30min., or so.  When done, and cooled, dig out the seeds with spoon.  Then, dig out the meaty part of the pumpkin, and smash a little.  If you like more (chunky) texture of the pumpkin in the pie, don't cream it.  Add a can of pumpkin, melted Rice Dream, eggs and spices, and mix all.  Pour the mixture in a pie crust, and bake.

This recipe is not very sweet, but full of pumpkin flavor.  Add sugar to your liking, if you wish.

#2 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

What a good idea using melted Rice Dream instead of milk!

We have a pumpkin pie that gets a thumbs up.  We don't use much (soy) milk at all, just enough to make it a bit creamy, and it is baked in a chocolate cookie pie shell.  I've yet to perfect the shell recipe since going wheat-free.  I used to use Newman's Own alphabet cookies (dairy-free), but when I make chocolate cookies without wheat, the shell comes out too greasy.  So, this Thanksgiving I patted the dough straight into the pie pan and baked it for 15 minutes.  Everyone seemed to like it, and it was certainly sturdy.  (I cannot eat oats, so I have no way of taste-testing this pie)

DD has been tolerating eggs.  Previous years I baked this pie with gelatin added.  Good, but no so much loved.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Gluten-free Pie Crust:  I make this, but each time is slightly different than the previous due to the timing, temp., and the flour blend I use.

Basically, I make my pie flour with Tapioca flour, Rice flour, Potato flour in 2:3:3 ratio.  This blend can be substituted or added with almond flour or other nut flour etc.  I mix the powered material first, and mix them well together; so, add the pinch of salt and baking soda into this blend as well.  Cut cold butter stick into small cubes, and make a ball of dough with this flour blend.  You have to do this rather quickly, but a little at a time.  I do this in a chilled bowl with a silcon spatula, so my hands won't melt the butter and the dough won't stick to the hands.  When blended, I wrap the dough in the plastic wrap, and keep it in the ref. for over night.  Next day, or after the dough has been chilled for 4hr. or so, I slap that dough onto the pie dish and quickly spread with my fingers into a shape of a pie dish.  You can not use rolling pin, since it will crumble (without gluten).  Then, bake. 

#4 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM

The recipes sound yummy. Multiple food issues would prevent me from using them without further modifications. One question, though, why replace the dairy in the filling, but keep it in the crust?
#5 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

You can use shortening or coconut oil, if you'd like, but chill the shortening before you use it.  I use butter, because we have no problem with it.

#6 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the help!
#7 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

People who want to avoid the eggs, may already do this, but here's a substitute for egg:

Mill flax seeds in coffee grinder or professional blender, such as Vita Mix. 

When it is finely grounded, add warm water by table sp. at a time until you get the slimy consistency of an egg white.

Good luck,

Greencat

#8 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Sorry.
#9 of 9 Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 AM

Sorry. Wet hands triggered multiple posts.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page