2 year old and runny/soft BM, other issues, would wheat free help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-01-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I have never really dealt with food allergies before, but the more I read about it the more I suspect something might be going on. We are already dairy free as DD1 is definitely lactose intolerant. However, my 2 year old never really has a solid BM. She eats really well and a variety of good foods but she almost always has very soft and at times mucousy BM. She occasionally will also break out in a horrendous diaper rash. She also has had a consistently runny nose and congestion and she even has some eye discharge last week. None of this has ever been very serious though except for the really bad diaper rash. It doesn't slow her down, she is normally a pretty happy, energetic and normal 2 yo with the exception of the BM.

I have had allergies in the past but it was always attributed to pollen and mold. I do have chronic acne which nothing seems to help short of Accutane (NEVER going on that stuff again).

DH definitely always has digestive issues of some sort. Lactose seems to be the only thing that bothers DD1 still.

One thing I am considering is going gluten or wheat free.There is just so much conflicting information out there. Some say wheat and gluten free is great and other sources say unless you are celiac it's a waste of time. I am interested in hearing other's experiences with wheat and gluten free, and if anyone had any benefits from it even if they were not celiac or gluten intolerant.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#2 of 2 Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

My daughter is allergic to wheat, but not gluten.  I think a simple wheat elimination is a better first step than going gluten-free, if for no other reason that it is easier.  Especially if there are no symptoms that are screaming "Celiac!!"  My dd's digestion is normal now, and she has no other symptoms of gluten intolerance.  (That's handy, because wheat is the only cereal grain I can eat.)

Remember that allergies in general can be genetic, but not necessarily specific allergies. You can have a genetic predisposition to celiac.  Lactose intolerance?  I don't know the facts, but most people on my side of the family has some level of lactose sensitivity or intolerance.  I think lactose sensitivity in adults is pretty common, though.

I would be generally unconcerned with soft stools (mindful, attentive, but not concerned), but the diaper rash was one of the big symptoms that let us know something else in dd's diet at the time was not good.  She would even have hives on her bum once in a while.

It is possible your daughter has some lactose sneaking into her diet?  Just a thought.  Whey is a sneaky ingredient in many foods.

Good luck.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page