Very,very long "can you diagnose this?" thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I do not post or read very much on this board anymore, just so busy!  But I am hoping someone here might have some insight.  My DD just turned 4, she has always been "sickly" - never anything truly awful, knock on wood - reflux as an infant, allergies (mainly eggs, soy and dairy all of which I thought she had outgrown) , constant ear infections, now throat infections as she gets older, lots and lots of high fevers, catches everything that passes within a 100 mile radius etc.

About a week into school this year August 10th or so - she was diagnosed with Tonsilitis.  We did 10 days of antibiotics and while the infection clearly went away she was never quite herself since then. Mostly she was tired and had constant high fevers.  In June and July she was close to giving up nap but she desperately needed a daily nap suddenly and was still going to bed at a very reasonable hour.  After 7 visits back to the pedi over the next 8 weeks and demanding a slew of bloodwork she was diagnosed with Mono, though the infection had cleared at this point.  She seemed to be rebounding but within 8 days she caught a stomach bug (or so I thought at the time), then another bout of strep.  She is still always more tired than I think most 4 year olds are.  Even if she isn't sleepy-tired she is kind of lay on the couch tired.  Within the past month she has had 3 bouts of waking up between 3-5 am and has between 2-4 hours of dry heaving.  No vomit, no bile, no bowel movements (lose or otherwise).  She just dry heaves, cries, spits (almost like she is foaming at the mouth).  It is clearly very painful and exhausting but after a few hours of sleep she is completely fine again (albeit tired of course).  The one complaint that started back over the summer that did not get better after the mono diagnosis has been lower leg pain.  She has a hard time pin pointing and describing it and I try not to put words in to her mouth, I am not sure if it is joint pain.  It has since spread to her arms second most often and once or twice her neck, hip or hands.  I initially thought growing pains but this is clearly more than that.  She cannot sit on her legs without complaining of pain or walk/run for long periods of time.  She does a gymnastics class once a week and so far hasn't had any pain associated with that.  She has fought a constant battle with redness and irritation in her vulva and sometimes on her bottom.  She's taken meds and creams for both vaginitis and yeast and something just keeps coming back.  She has been potty trained for over 2.5 years.  Other possibly related/maybe not symptoms are that she is always cold lately and in the last week I have noticed a couple of little red bumps on her body.  They go away after a day or 2 and then she gets another couple/few somewhere else.  They aren't hives and I don't think bug bites.  She has also started having red eyes/runny nose again like when we were dealing with her allergies a few years ago.

SO, do you think she never outgrew the allergies but they have just changed how they present themselves (when she was an infant it was runny, mucusy stools all day long.  As a toddler I thought she outgrew it because that wasn't happening then realized that it was now a runny nose instead).  Could allergies be causing so much inflammation that her joints hurt?  We have an appt on Wednesday and I am going to ask to rerun her Igg allergy tests we did a few years ago but I don't know what else to ask for or where to go?  I don't know if all of this is related but SOMETHING is going on and getting worse!

Prior to the dry heaving I was thinking perhaps fibromyalgia, now with the newer symptoms it got me started thinking about her allergies. 

Any thoughts and suggestion would be very much appreciated.  Any questions welcome.

#2 of 9 Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Nightshades are often associated with joint inflamation. There is some debate about this, but you may want to try eliminating them for a while. Here's a link with more info about nightshades.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEcQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whfoods.com%2Fgenpage.php%3Ftname%3Dgeorge%26dbid%3D62&ei=oOHPUOCBMMfiqAHdsoCADg&usg=AFQjCNEcj92uQR9jPB4xUWTcCmPk8jYNEg

It'll be interesting to see the test results.

As for the illnesses, I cannot tolerate dairy. When I was in kindergarten, I had lots of colds and fell down a lot. Finally, my tonsils were removed. I got sick and fell less often, but it didn't address the core of the problem (dairy). I then began vomiting. Later I had diarrhea. It wasn't until college that I made the connection between my problems and dairy. So, your child may have a problem with a food, and these symptoms could be how it's expressed. I hope you get your answers through the test. If not, a food-symptom diary and elimination diet may help.

Good luck.
#3 of 9 Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

So many possibilities!

As someone who suffers from tiredness from allergies, and having a daughter who has severe allergies, who added more by around 4yo, I would say that allergies are possible.  My daughter also had tiredness and some other symptoms you described, but she was rarely sick.  I had experience with leg aches that eased in intensity and frequency once I eliminated some allergens.

Having said that, I still have to say it is only one possibility, worth investigating.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 9 Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Ginger tea can help with the dry heaving, by the way.
#5 of 9 Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I would try a thyroid work up. Many of the things you are talking about would fit.

Good luck.

#6 of 9 Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses.  We are starting from square one by re doing her allergy tests.  Getting blood out of a 4 year old who knows what is coming because she remembers having it done 2 months ago is no fun but I really hope it brings us some answers.  And truth be told I would much rather this is a manageable food intolerance than just about any other possibility I can come up with!  Will keep you posted.

#7 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 08:47 AM

If you have some in the area, consider seening a naturopath. My son had a cough and a stutter that started with a cold, then it would go away, come back again after a couple months, go away again...for almost a year. Regular ped wanted to do albuterol again (with crappy side effects again) and I said no. We tried a homeopath for the first time, took the remedy...nothing happened right away, then he got quite bad for a week (his behavior was atrocious) and then eventually I noticed that I wasn't noticing the stutter...or the cough...so I am hoping this homeopathic remedy was what kicked it!

Anyway, the point is to look into something you haven't tried yet, you may find an answer or at least relief.

#8 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update everyone who took the time to respond to my original post.  My doctor agreed to rerun her allergy tests but ran the ige instead of the igg so it was pretty much useless.  Since taking the egg back out of her diet she has stopped having the vomiting/dry heaving and there has been no sign of spots on her body.  I have reintroduced a small amount of egg and she seems to do OK with that, just no scrambled eggs for breakfast every weekend morning!

The joint pain was diagnosed by a rheumatologist as bening hyper mobility - what we called double jointed in our youth.  She over extends her joints for much of the day causing the pain in the evenings especially after a day of activity.  There isn't much to do besides pain meds, baths and making sure she doesn't dislocate anything but she should outgrow it and I am just so happy it is nothing serious.

I think that the mono literally took months to completely be out of her system because she is no longer tired like she was even for months after the mono was "gone".

Thanks again for your responses!

#9 of 9 Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny2032 View Post

I just wanted to update everyone who took the time to respond to my original post.  My doctor agreed to rerun her allergy tests but ran the ige instead of the igg so it was pretty much useless.  Since taking the egg back out of her diet she has stopped having the vomiting/dry heaving and there has been no sign of spots on her body.  I have reintroduced a small amount of egg and she seems to do OK with that, just no scrambled eggs for breakfast every weekend morning!

The joint pain was diagnosed by a rheumatologist as bening hyper mobility - what we called double jointed in our youth.  She over extends her joints for much of the day causing the pain in the evenings especially after a day of activity.  There isn't much to do besides pain meds, baths and making sure she doesn't dislocate anything but she should outgrow it and I am just so happy it is nothing serious.

I think that the mono literally took months to completely be out of her system because she is no longer tired like she was even for months after the mono was "gone".

Thanks again for your responses!

So glad things are better! joy.gif

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page