Switched kid to gluten-free, now he's burping a lot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are trying our 6.5yo on a gluten free diet to see if it helps with his frequent stomach ache, low appetite, and unusually high thirst. He's been gluten-free for a few weeks now. We haven't noticed a huge change with any of his symptoms so far. Meanwhile, he has been burping constantly. I wonder if it's behavioral thing...he says he can't help it, but maybe he's gulping air and doesn't realize? He will do a series of small burps, like 15 in a row. He is not autistic but is borderline SPD and does have a tendency towards stim behaviors. (Pulled out his hair as a toddler, skin picking, etc.) But I'm wondering if something about his new diet is causing the belching? Maybe his body is detoxing? He is not eating a ton of the bread substitute type stuff as he doesn't like most of it. He is eating more protein than before, and probably more fruit. Any ideas?

Oh, and he has been dairy-free since he was a baby.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 PM

In my experience, it sounds like yeast die-off. You could try culturelle kids' packets. Nothing better for yeast issues, IMO. Plus, it really helps get the gut flora in balance. We had this too when first going GF.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#3 of 3 Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Please support my petition for the Girl Scouts to sell a gluten free and allergen free cookie  http://www.change.org/petitions/encourage-the-girl-scouts-to-sell-an-allergen-free-cookie

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page