Claritin for a seven month old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!

my lo has been congested, sneezy, coughing etc for at least a month now. The doc thinks its allergies and suggested Claritin, 1/2t every other day for the next six weeks. He said that if it is allergies she can't get well and this would be why she has had repeated ear infections, bronchiolitis, and sinus infections. 

I am not big on giving meds at all, unless they are really, truly needed and there are no other options. He said a holistic method wouldn't work here bc we don't know what she is allergic to and they don't have any holistic options that are proven to work. 

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Anybody have a similar situation? I'm nervous about doing Claritin in my lo! My first thought is to always challenge the doc and his suggestions. I have a hard time trusting docs :/

thank you!

t

#2 of 3 Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Go with your gut. My little one has seemed to have allergies since she was born and the doctor has given us lots of drug-free options.

Humidifier in her room

Air purifier in her room

Take in her in the shower with us to use the steam to help loosen things up

Use a bulb syringe along with saline solution to clear her nasal passages. I really like our Nose Frieda better than a bulb.

In addition, I will put breastmilk in her nose or eyes when they are looking goopy. 

If she is having ear infections that could be indicative of a dairy allergy. If she is breastfed you could remove it from your diet for a minimum of two weeks and see what that does for her. 

Wishgarden Herbs, Herbs for Kids, and Hyland's are all brands I like for my children. I think Wishgarden is the one that makes a little kit for ear infections that includes an oral tincture and an oil that goes directly in the ear. 

#3 of 3 Old 03-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Claritin for a baby? I'm not a doctor, but I can't imagine she would have had time to develop allergies as I believe the child has to pass through one season to develop the allergies. Honestly, please don't take this the wrong way, but I'd either look for another pediatrician or at least find yourself a good pediatric allergist who will help you figure out what's bothering your little one.

Chronic ear infections and the other issues you mention are often connected with developing food allergies through breast milk, which is much more common than you'd believe. If you find a good allergist, they can help you eliminate certain foods from your diet safely and then slowly reintroduce each one, one at a time to try to determine which foods your baby is reacting to. Cow's milk is often to blame for ear infections specifically.

I hope this is helpful!

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page