What to feed an allergic child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to feed my 18 month old healthy, but feel so limited. She loves meat and fish and soup. She also loves freeze dried apples and peaches (pricey though!), rice crackers and rice. She used to like broccoli but not so much anymore. I can kinda smash them into meat and feed her that way. I can also kinda get her to eat carrots and sweet potatoes if they are blended or in soup and super soft. She used to love beans and now not so much. I'd like to stay away from too many grains because they tend to plug her up.

Is that enough variety for a toddler? She still doesn't have molars, perhaps she isn't ready for food. She started eating solids pretty late because we delayed them since she is allergic to a bunch of stuff. I still nurse her... Probably 80%-85%nursing and 15%-20%solids at this point.

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#2 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It  sounds fine to me. How is she eating now with her allergies? Does she have any of her molars yet?

#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What foods is she allergic to?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 5 Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

She's allergic (gets reactions from) seeds, nuts, dairy, goats milk, avacados, bananas and I think mangos if she has too many. Positively tested (SPT) but haven't challenged yet: strawberries, shellfish, chocolate, eggs

I generally keep her gluten free even though she doesn't react to it. Mostly for health reasons and keeping her gut as "clean" as possible. Same goes with grains.

She eats mostly meats and soups I prepare, peas, broccoli, asparagus, carrots. Usually steamed or grilled. Freeze dried apples and peaches she loves.

She has about half her molars in.

I'm at a loss for "snack" and on the go type foods. Seems like everything she eats requires some prep work. She doesn't like any fruit. I think it's the texture. I think the nursing to solids ratio is about the same still except on days I work. Sometimes I can't ump enough milk and would like for her to eat more when I'm gone. Just don't know what else to leave for her.

h20homebirth.gif    femalesling.GIF-     familybed2.gif   -Yep... thats me redface.gif

#5 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 AM

HI -

At the bottom of this blog post about elimination diets I have listed a bunch of great allergy bloggers you may want to take a look at - all have great recipes that should help you out.

http://itchylittleworld.com/2013/01/08/our-eczema-trials-elimination-diet-how-you-can-do-it-too/

Jennifer

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page