Constant chest and nose congestion in a 9 month old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-31-2013, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has been suffering from constant chest and nose congestion since about december....it is now about to be APRIL!  We got hit by a cold in December and well he just sounds all sorts of stuffed up and crackly.  I'm chalking this up to allergies.  We don't have insurance so we can't really  go to a doctor.  The only major changes I can think of that triggered this is teething and/or switching to formula. 

Any advice on cause or symptom relief would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 10 Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

It would be the formula necessarily.  I would think possible environmental allergies or ongoing colds and so on. It's been a rough year for colds. Is he in daycare? They pass around everything there too. 

#3 of 10 Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

I feel so guilty about the formula thing. We exclusively breastfed up til 6 months and then I started working graveyard and dad wasn't getting any sleep cuz he constantly wanted to nurse. Now at the daycare the formula is included so we utilize that. He nurses every few days or so and I'm sure if I took some fenugreek I could increase my production but I'm just so busy and tired!! I hardly get any rest and I have a 2 year old and a 9 month old. My life is just a little too crazy for me so I had to cut something out. Ahhhh! I'm so burned out!
#4 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Ohmy gosh! I just reread this.  It ISN'T the formula necessarily is what I was meaning to say. I am so so sorry. 

What you are describing doesn't sound food related to me. As i said, I would look at environmental first.  I would never come here to put down your choice of how to feed your kid! I don't want to cause Mommy guilt, we all have enough of that!!!  I am so sorry.

#5 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 04:33 PM

You could try eliminating dairy from your diet and use a dairy free formula and see if anything changes. Certizine seems to be the pediatric antihistamine of choice. I believe it's 1/2 tsp per day. My son now 8 gets a runny nose when he has dairy. We are constantly swapping histamines and have even done a course of Prednisone.
After 6 months I think formula supplementation is more in the category of solids BTW.
#6 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM

My daughter has reactive airway disease due to her getting RSV at two weeks.  She wheezed her first year.  I started cod liver oil with her at a year in within two days she stopped wheezing.  It was certainly a miracle!  Omega-3's are really important when it comes to lung health.  If you wanted to go the cod liver oil route I'm sure your LO would take it off the spoon, my kids never had any problem with it.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#7 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great feedback. I read a few articles on the affect of soy on boys so we are steering clear of soy formula. As far as environment goes, we love in El Paso - windy desert! I'm pretty sure the atmosphere here is 50/50 air/dirt. I'm sure that's got a lot to do with it plus the dairy. We try to stick to a vegan diet but clearly I've had to make a few sacrifices. Is there an equivalent to cod liver oil? I'd be interested to try it out!
#8 of 10 Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 PM

I was vegan during my daughter's pregnancy and first year, and I really do think it contributed to the wheezing.  I tired using an algae-derived DHA oil, but it just wasn't enough.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#9 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 04:32 PM

Going out on a limb here but it could very well be aspiration into the airways or reflux. Basically what happens is the baby swallows and the airway is a bit floppy and milk will drip into the lungs.This happens either during swallowing or during the spit up process afterwards. You don't always see the spit up happening, it doesn't necessarily go all the way into the mouth.

I have many babies come into my unit who have this. They sound stuffed up, sometimes their voices sound wet, they sometimes cough or choke during or after feeds. See if the stuffiness is related to feeding times. Sometimes babies need to have their formula/expressed milk thickened until they outgrow this. It mimics a cold or allergies but it can be more dangerous. You can do a simple swallow test at the hospital to see if this is happening or not. It's non-invasive and safe.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 10 Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

So far I've cut back on formula, supplementing with real food which he loves and chalked it up to the wind. It gets really bad when it's windy, which is practically 90% of the time here. When it's calm, he is fine. He is doing much much better now! Thanks for all the advice!

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page