gut healing, allergies or both? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I'm new here and starting to be overwhelmed....

I have a 2 year old who was intolerant to wheat, soy and dairy through breastmilk. He seemingly grew out of it but is now doing better off of gluten as he is having his first solid bowel movements ever. 

My daughter is now 5 months old. Since i knew what I was getting into, I went off of wheat, soy, dairy, caffeine, cocoa, alcohol refined sugar and now eggs quickly when I saw her showing similar symptoms (foul smelling gas, pooping 1 time a week, eczema, not sleeping). She's shown moderate improvement but nothing amazing. Her gas is still there, she still rarely poops although it's not watery anymore now it's thick and the right color for breastfeeing. Her eczema cleared up when I went off of eggs. She's still not sleeping. 

I take many supplements for gut healing and many probiotics for both her and I. I still however haven't seen great improvement. Lately she is having a very hard time nursing and just seemingly disinterested. She sucks for 30 seconds and then screams if I want to put her back on. She isn't showing any hunger signs though. She dropped down to the 30th percentile for weight from the 85% at 2 months. I'm now truly concerned for her in terms of weight gain, and general health and well being. I"m concerned that we are going down a scary path and she is now beginning to be vaccinated and solids will start around 6 months. 

I don't know if what I'm dealing with is allergies, intolerances or something much bigger and I don't know how to find out. I'm told that allergy testing for babies at this age is unreliable. Most pediatricians that I've encountered think I'm crazy and know very little about breastfeeding, let alone gut healing. 

I really am in desperate need of some direction or advice. 

THanks so much

Amanda

#2 of 3 Old 04-25-2013, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Bumping up for more attention!

Have you posted this in the Breastfeeding Challenges forum as well?  You may get some answers there from other breastfeeding moms.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 3 Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we are hesitant to give advice in this over the Internet because the drop in weight sounds significant. I gather your experience with pd have not been too good but please don't be put off. Ask around friends and neighbours for recommendations, just keep asking. We went through nine doctors to get a handle on my son's eczema.

Most doctors will not know anything about gut healing, so don't even mention it. Just look for one who is knowledgeable about breastfeeding (or at least pro breastfeeding), as well as allergies/ eczema. Given the situation you described, I will put basic weight and health status over eczema first and the doctr likely will too. You may want to look for a knowledgeable LC as well to make sure it is not a breastfeeding issue. (eg teething, oral thrush etc)

Reactions can be to anything, it is so frustrating and disheartening to realise that. At one point when I felt overwhelmed, I had to tell myself that that was all I could do at that point in time and that was my best, i just couldn't do anymore. With two young kids and a house to keep,it is a lot to handle. Many of us have been there, so hugs to you! While you are still figuring things out, try to grab any help you can get to tide you over this period. For me I sent my elder one to school even though he had vision issues and could not read at all. So I chose a play based school and told the teachers to just let him be.

It may be helpful to speak to older relatives about family health history. I was surprised to find out that many of ds2's allergies were shared by other members of the extended family (though he was the only one who had all of them). It made me feel so much better too. My cousins and aunts have been helpful in sharing what worked for their kids and also what to avoid in treatment.

So in summary, I will say get to a supportive pd or LC as quickly as you can to make sure baby is fundamentally ok. Grab any help you can get for the kids and house. Speak to mum/relatives and see if that turn up anything.

By the way, you mention that she was "still not sleeping" despite improvement to the bowels. I gather this is from birth? If so, have you tried an environental approach, removing possible environmental allergens in the bedroom? My son reacts to dustmite and that kept him from sleeping from birth. A general approach is to wash the sheets/ covers/ soft toys at 60 degrees Celsius, wet wipe/ steam clean/vacuum surfaces. Do the same for the clothes. You don't have to go all out, just start with the bedroom and two sets of clothes and see if she sleeps better.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page