when/how to reintroduce dairy with intolerance?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi y'all... 

Just wondering if anyone has experience with reintroducing a baby sensitive to dairy? 

not sure how much info to put so ill share the (hopefully not too long) story. 

I began drinking raw milk (alot of it) while pregnant after reading weston price, sally fallon, etc.  I got a nasty kidney infection a week before delivery and was forced to do a round of pretty heavy antibiotics (arrghh!!). I drank lots of kefir immediately afterwards and up till delivery, hoping to replace good flora.. 

Baby has been breastfed and pretty healthy, never too difficult, but had lots of gas, spitting up, and was a little fussy for the first few months, along with some occasional diaper rash and persistent but not too serious cradle cap. 

When we started solids, (around 5-6 mos) she began having lots more diaper rashes. I tried eliminating different foods, testing to see if it was a certain thing. Fruit seemed to make things worse, so I limited that. I've followed WAPF recommendations with feeding, so no cereals, lots of egg yolk, liver, bone broth, steamed veggies with butter, a little fruit and small amounts of kefir (starting kefir at 7 1/2 mos). She began getting more and more constipated, (bm every 3 days, hard and making her cry every time) and diaper rashes got worse. She also would pull at/scratch her ears a lot (no signs of infection though, we checked) and randomly spit up still (even at 9 months) I would exclusively BF for a while to see if it was the food, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Finally after going camping for a week with no raw milk, she stopped spitting up at all, then when I returned home, starved for raw milk I drank a whole quart at once, and after the next BF she vomitted a lot. a light bulb went on in my head, so I tested this for a few days, no dairy, then would drink a glass of milk and it always make her spit up. Soooooo...... (sorry this is so long!) 

We've been off dairy now for a couple weeks, and the constipation, spitting up, ear pulling, diaper rashes, are all pretty much gone. Shes been drinking more bone broth which I've been adding the Natren bifidum to. (just realized this has whey and milk in it!)

What I'm wondering is if anyone who has experience with this sort of thing--did your baby recover? How long being off dairy did it take? How did you reintroduce? Any other thoughts? 

I would really like for her to eventually be able to drink raw milk herself. Shes 10 1/2 months now, and I was hoping to start her at 1 yr, but will wait I guess till she (hopefully) recovers. I just dont know how long to wait. sorry this is so lengthy!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. 

#2 of 4 Old 05-02-2013, 06:43 AM

Some drs will tell you to wait 6 months before reintroducing (personally I have two kids who are 8 and 12 years old who are still intolerant to milk, so....). If you do reintroduce in 6 months, do what you did before and do one "dose" and then wait for symptoms. In the meantime, you may want to go to a regular allergist and test to see if there's an actual allergy to milk. That would change the timeline since you'd want to wait until there's no actual allergy reaction before trying it (and usually they'd want you to reintroduce in a controlled setting).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#3 of 4 Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks kjbrown..

I guess I will try reintroducing gently in about 6 months. I was so hoping it wouldn't take that long! *sigh* Anyone out there that didn't take that long? smile.gif Someone told me "just wean her!" But needless to say, I think that's the worst thing I could do! I plan to continue BF until she's around 2 or, y'know, just "see what happens"...

I am pretty addicted to dairy, (especially raw milk--how can anyone resist the sweet creaminess??) so maybe it'll be good for me too.

That's interesting about getting her allergy tested. I will look into that.

#4 of 4 Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 AM

When I went off it to keep my kids company, I found out I was intolerant too (it's been 5 years). Being "addicted" to a food can be a sign of intolerance. Unfortunately.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page