How long until dairy leaves your system? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been allergic to dairy since birth and I suspect my 32 month old is too. I also suspect he has had reflux since birth. I have GERD and it showed up 6 months post partum. He is having so much trouble sleeping and gaining weight, his appetite sucks. My question is, how long does it take to get dairy out of your system? It seems to have done the trick for my GERD, I haven't needed an antacid in 3 days and that is a MIRACLE for me...but my son seems to be getting worse if not better. I gave him half of a digestive enzyme last night and he had the worst night of sleep ever, I don't understand :(

#2 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

It varies from person to person. Some say 6 weeks for it to totally be out but I haven't ever seen any scientific documentation on that. With my DS I saw results within 3 days.  Are you consuming diary? Is the child still nursing?

#3 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have you looked at other allergens? I was sure with my dd that it was dairy, but in fact, it was gluten. I tried taking out dairy and she didn't get better, it was not until I took out gluten that she improved. I also have a dairy sensitivity and thought it must be dairy. Ds has both gluten and dairy. It takes 3 days to for it to grt

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#4 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks ladies, I actually spent a few hours last night researching gluten and celiac. I have a history of digestive issues in my family but none of them were ever tested for Celiac and I have never been either. I know I am allergic to dairy though and I know my mom and grandparents are lactose intolerant.  It is day 14 and being off dairy is helping me somewhat but not my son, he hasn't really improved at all. He snores at night and possibly sleep apnea, reflux, tummy aches and yeast issues. He also sometimes has that celiac belly look, he is underweight and skinny except for his belly. His stools are still not very solid and although he doesn't have constipation or diarrhea, his stools are not normal imo. I also often see undigested food in his stools but thought it might be common for toddlers. We haven't had insurance in a year and now my husband is being laid off in July so I dunno where to go from here other than remove gluten and see how it goes. Does gluten usually take as long to get out of the system? I think if he had dairy issues that being off it for 2 weeks would help him, as it has helped me. I jsut worry about cutting too much out because he is skinny and picky as it is : /

#5 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

So you aren't allergic, you are intolerant?

If you suspect Celiac disease you really should do the testing before going off gluten. You MUST be consuming gluten to get accurate results. It is very hard to go back ON gluten once off it and you need to be on it for a while to test. If your child will be in school and you need accommodations you must have an official diagnosis.  

I would think through things very carefully before removing it.

#6 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 05:38 PM

I am confused. It sounds as though you have just recently elimnated dairy. Is that right?

As for your son, what is he eating? The same as you, or has he been given other foods? Are you positive no one else in the house is giving him dairy? Is he pooping daily? That belly can be caused by not pooping. That's not necessarily a bad sign. It does deserve notice, to see if there's other signs of problems.

How severe is your dairy allergy at this point in your life?
#7 of 8 Old 05-07-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

My family has a history of lactose intolerance but I am actually allergic or so the tests say. We won't have insurance for at least another 3 months so I don't see any tests in our near future. My dairy allergy basically makes my skin break out and I feel itchy and irritable but if I take Zyrtec everyday, those symptoms basically disappear. When I was pregnant I could eat all the dairy I wanted and I felt fine but 6 months post partum I started having digestive issues and I was Vit D deficient. I am not sure if my gastritis and GERD are from dairy or not it's just a guess. My son poops at least once a day if not 3 times and he eats what I eat, I still nurse him too. I am home all day with him so I know no one else has given him dairy in 2 weeks.

#8 of 8 Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 AM

There seems to be a lot going on, so it will take time to address it all.

Antacids, especially calcium carbonate, wreck havoc with stomach acid levels, causing GERD. Use antacids with caution, although avoiding them is preferable. So I'm glad to hear that the removal of dairy has stopped your need of antacids.

Vitamin D can be gotten from sushine, so spend time outside in the sun daily.

About your son's issues. You can keep a diary or log of what he eats, and his symptoms, and test him by removing things from his diet. This may cause problems when he's school age, as another poster said. I homeschooled my son, so I have no experience with getting services from schools. Gluten is in oats in small amounts, so there is a difference between wheat allergy and gluten allergy. Also, some people who are allergic to modern wheat can tolerate kamut or spelt, which are older wheats. All of this adds to the wheat/gluten confusion. Corn and soy are other common allergens, so if you see no improvement by removing wheat or gluten, you may want to try those. There are lots of sites about food allergies/intolerances. It might be worth your while to do a bit of reading there. Just take a step back if it makes you feel overwhelmed, though.

I hope you are looking for hidden dairy in things. Whey, lactose, and casein are dairy. I feel like I'm forgetting something.

I wish you well on this journey. Let us know how it goes.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page