Allergy to Beets - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I added 1 raw beet to my juicing mixture, and within minutes I felt very strange (like when you take Niacin), and then my face became very hot, and within minutes I was vomiting.  After vomiting several times, I started drinking ginger water and that seemed to calm it down, and then I took two benedryl.  My face was very red, and I got red blotches all over my face, and it was very swollen.  24 hours later the swelling is down, but I still have blotches all over my face, and I just feel strange.  Drinking a lot of water, and continued with the Benedryl. Urine was red until 24 hours later.  This was very scary, because I have eaten beets at salad bars before, and I have no other food allergies that I know of.

#2 of 3 Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Oh wow, that is scary!

#3 of 3 Old 05-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I'm thinking it was the fact that the beet was raw.  Were the salad bar beets canned?  That means they were cooked and possibly less reactive. 

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page