FPIES? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-31-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone here have any experience with FPIES? My youngest daughter (7 mo old) was just diagnosed after vomiting reactions to both rice and avocado. Her stooling has always been a bit off (infrequent stooling as a newborn, later followed by greenish poop, sometimes with mucus, and lately very liquidy yellow stools that soak into diapers). She's had occasional ccult blood noted in samples too although it has eased up. I can't tell if her gut is on the path to healing or not and don't want to reintroduce solids until I'm confident it is.

Has anyone else been through this? And what did you do to help heal? Would love advice or suggestions.

PS- we are both already on probiotics (Therbiotic Complete) and I am on an elim diet with mixed results at best.

#2 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There isn't anything you can do for FPIES except not feed them the trigger foods. Her body is going to have to figure things out. Probiotics are great for other things but it isn't doing to do anything for FPIES. They usually outgrow FPIES by school age.  There are several web sites out there for parents of FPIES kiddos and National organizations as well.

#3 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Really? I kind of find that surprising. Seems to me that if someone has multiple triggers (and cross-reactions, etc) the state of a gut's leakiness is probably at least related. Which explains why some folks are successful in using GAPS to heal after FPIES (although some aren't).

I do belong to other orgs, btw, but the bottom line seems to be no one knows much about this and it's all a guessing game. So I guess I need to get used to that!

#4 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Unfortunately you are correct on that!  I went through 6 allergists and several GI Dr's before someone mentioned FPIES to me (I had already assumed that's what it was at that point).  

I'm not a fan of saying any diet helps allergies/FPIES/sensitivities.  I fully believe in leaky gut and yes, things getting through that shouldn't but have not seen any real documentation that there is a cause/effect between the diet and healing. Though some would suggest elimination diets (which is a dietary alteration) does aid in the elimination of these issues over time. 

#5 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 06:36 PM

My son had the green weird poops and severe vomiting after rice cereal. We never offered him anymore food until after one (more like 14 -15 months). He still has never had rice again. He seems to have grown out of the digestive issues. He was not ready for solids I realized which is why we never tried anything else again. I never did elimination diets or anything and now he has normal poops and eats everything (but rice)

#6 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLQ1011 View Post

My son had the green weird poops and severe vomiting after rice cereal. We never offered him anymore food until after one (more like 14 -15 months). He still has never had rice again. He seems to have grown out of the digestive issues. He was not ready for solids I realized which is why we never tried anything else again. I never did elimination diets or anything and now he has normal poops and eats everything (but rice)

LLQ1011, do you mean he had weird green poops only after rice cereal, or in general? Curious. Also, was it hard to get him to take solids after age one (did he have texture issues etc?) My allergist is concerned about that but I can't tell how worried to be. I don't want to rush food reintroduction on that basis alone.

#7 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 01:15 AM

he was not interested. My pediatrician explained that a lot of the signs people think babies are showing are really not signs at all. SO once I figured out my baby I realized he was not interested in food at all. He  also told me food before one is just for fun and if it was not "Fun" then to wait until after. We tried a little at one but it was not until 14 or 15 months he really started to decide he liked food. He always had green poops always. They were yellow for like 3 days and then green after with mucous and sometimes blood from pooping more frequently than normal. The rice cereal thing really hurt his want for food anyway because her would vomit for hours afterwards and have to go to the er from turning blue because he could not catch his breath between vomiting. After that he was just content to nurse. I got a lot of pressure even after the hours and hours of throwing up the few times it happened. I just stood my ground. I figured unless these people want to come take him to the er and clean up his vomit then they do not get a say on when he is ready for food. I also read a study recently that babies with allergies and food intolerances tend to eat solids later which made total sense for him and we have never had an issue with any other food.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page