Wise mamas, diagnose DS3. 14 months, sudden appearance of eczema, congestion. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-15-2013, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS3 came down with what I thought was a cold in early May.  6 weeks later, I'm still needing to clear his nose multiple times daily, we're struggling to nurse well, and then... bam: last week, enter the eczema.

DS1, now 6, was dairy/treenut/egg/wheat allergic and salicylate sensitive right out of the gate.  Now he is still dairy/treenut, and the salicylates continue to be but a minor problem.

DS2 reacts to detergents.

We're going to begin eliminating dairy tomorrow and for the next 3 weeks.  Then eggs, then soy, then gluten.  (Mama does better off gluten anyway, and I was way reactive to wheat during DS3's pregnancy with indigestion.  Hmm?)

But I am wondering if this is more likely a seasonal allergy.  It appeared with our spring here in western alpine Montana, and has worsened as the pollen counts have risen.  He also appears to have no GI issues with any food, though dairy does constipate him.  (Really, it's just cheese, which he LOVES.)

So, I know what my plan is, but wanted to feel a sense of community as I go down the rabbit hole of elimination diet land.  Bleh.  Bye-bye ice cream!

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#2 of 4 Old 06-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Seasonal allergies were my first guess.  I'm not so sure I would embark on an elimination diet necessarily, but with your family history, I might be suspicious about food as well.  But speaking as one who knows the situation from one post, I would bet on environmental allergies.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 4 Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I think you're on the right track w/the elimination plan. If the intestines are irritated by food they can't put as much effort toward fighting off the irritating pollens thus seasonal allergies arise when the pollen levels go through the roof. And it makes sense that all this started when he got a cold...immune system already weakened. The primary location of immune defense happens in the intestines...

And I'm sure you know you can buy or make delicious dairy free ice cream-rice, almond, coconut...no need to suffer from lack of cold creamy desserts in the summertime!! 

Also underactive thyroid & allergies can be linked together...something to read up on if you haven't already.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#4 of 4 Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand birch allergies can cause an awful lot of problems

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page