15 MO Daughter Severe Anemic, with Allergies and Unknown Diagnosis and FTT - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is currently 15 months old, She was Exclusively Breast Fed till 12 months.

Current Condition:- Severely anemic, Lethargic, had 3 3lood transfusion but still losing hemoglobin.

History:

9 Month Lab Bloodwork - Hemoglobin 11.9
12 Month in Finger Prick test - Hemoglobin 11.2

Until her 13th month, she was very active, hard to hold down at one place. Able  and wanting to climb stairs on her own unassisted. Playful all day.

After her 13 months and 2 weeks, her activity level started diminishing. At first she stopped climbing stairs and running around, then she stopped walking and finally she would not move from her place were she sat. Her feet started appearing swollen in mornings and that progressed to legs and she was pale all over. Her stool was dark greenish and we noticed black slimy blotch in one of her diapers. 

We got her blood work done and her Hemoglobin was 5.1 So we went to ER and Hospital.

During course of next 5 days her blood report was diminishing and she got blood transfusion

Day 1 at Hospital
Hem - 5.1
WBC - High ( Abnormal )
Iron - Low
Stool - Blood Occult Positive 

Day 2 at Hospital
Hem - 4.6
WBC - High ( Abnormal )
Iron - Low

Day 3 at Hospital
Hem - 3.6
WBC - High ( Abnormal )
Iron - Low

Day 4 at Hospital - She got Blood transfusion 3 times and that got her Hemoglobin to 10.3

Day 5 at Hospital - Hemoglobin 10.6

Day 8 at Hospital

Endoscopy - Upper - Clean
Colonoscopy - Lower - Clean

Day 9 at Hospital
Meckels Diverticulum Test - Negative 

Day 15 At Hospital - Hemoglobin 9.7

Almond IGE - High ( Allergic to Almonds )

We were discharged from hospital without diagnosis with follow up GI visit, Hematologist Visits and Allergist visits.
She is on Nut Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free diet.
She is on Iron supplements, eats regular food, and 8 - 10 oz of Coconut Milk fortified with Neocate
 She has not gone through any Mid-GI scopy as doctors advise that she is too young for any Mid-GI procedure.

It has been 1 1/2 months now - She is 15 months old now, she is still underweight 18.5 lb, not growing in height - 29.75 inch tall

We're at a loss, none of the doctors have any definitive answers to this.

You would be godsend if anybody would have any clue to what could be happening to her, or any leads or suggestions,

Thanks,
Concerned Dad and Mom
#2 of 3 Old 07-12-2013, 12:56 AM

What GI tests were done? Did they scope her at all? I'm not sure what a mid-GI is? But my son had endoscopy younger than her (to rule out Eosinophilic disorders, biopsy for celiac, a number of things).

My initial thoughts in reading were Eosinophilic disease or celiac. Either of those could cause those symptoms. I'm sure there are other things too, but you need a very good pediatric GI in my opinion.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 3 Old 08-04-2013, 09:38 PM

What was her diet like before you took her to the doctor and what were you feeding her the most?  What kinds of foods had you introduced right before her decline?  I would say at the very least you need to get her off gluten ASAP, if only to make it easier on her digestion and you really should take her off the top 8 allergens altogether.  Celiac would be my first thought here.  Was her stool tested for pathogens at all?  Or did they just look at her insides and throw up their hands?  irked.gif  Dark green stool can be C. Difficile.  Also, why is she on coconut milk when she's avoiding tree nuts?  I know there's some debate as to whether or not coconut should be included in a tree nut avoidance, but I wouldn't fool with it in an acute situation.  Are you still breastfeeding?  I would pull the supplements and just breastfeed her, but that's me, especially if she was fine until you started introducing solids (unless that's not what you meant by exclusively BF until 12 months).  If she was fine on BM only, I would maybe even pull all foods out of her diet and just BF her until she reaches baseline again and very carefully trial solids with her.

MadameXCupcake likes this.

<>< Alison

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page