Respiratory Support - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know that this is particularly allergy/vaccine/etc. based in nature, but I didn't really know where to post this. And, it has to do with supporting the immune system, specifically the lungs/respiratory system. My middle DD, who is 3, seems to get much more phlegm, mucous, coughing etc. w/ every cold she has. My oldest DD, who is 5, is much less prone to cough, has less of a runny nose, less times she needs her nose blown, etc.

There is just more congestion in her chest, she will cough more, longer, etc. My eldest never went through this, even when she was 2 or 3, so it's not JUST age related, though that may indeed play a part in it. My 3 year old is excellent at getting her nose blown, actually better than the 5 year old, so it's also not related to more nasal congestion, that I can figure anyway.

I have seen other forum members mention taking certain herbs/supplements/etc. in order to bolster, not just the immune system, but specifically the lungs/chest of them or their children, and I wanted to post this in several places to get the widest response.

Advice regarding this kind of supplemental/diet/practical support would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time!

#2 of 3 Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I wanted to bump it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a recommendation to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 3 Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I think you are talking about there being extra mucous WHEN SHE IS SICK... right?  Not just in general being phlegm-y or mucous-y?

Black elderberry syrup (you can buy it or make it at home) is pretty well regarded for respiratory system support both in a preventative and a reactive nature.  Beyond that, I only know of the reactive stuff.

Reactively, you can increase elderberry syrup dosing.  If it gets into the chest, there's a product by Ridgecrest Herbals called "Clear Lungs" that will dry the lungs and it has children's dosing although I don't remember just how young it goes. But it's pretty powerful Chinese medicine and last time I came down with pneumonia I was sure I could never catch it in time to try to prevent using antibiotics but this stuff seriously kept me off of them.  It won't heal the underlying issue, but it will dry the lungs.  I also use two Young Living oils:  R.C. (a blend) that I use when my 4yo hits this time of year and produces about a month of post nasal drip (cause known, but unable to remove--long story).  It's good for respiratory support (allergies, colds, respiratory congestion, flu).  If I am battle respiratory ILLNESS, I will us it with another blend called Raven that is stronger (helping with viral infection and relieving symptoms of asthma, pneumonia, etc.  I couldn't get my hands on any last bout of pneumonia  :/ ).

Now, if you think there's a bigger problem afoot, things to consider include food intolerances.  Excessive mucous CAN be a sign of food intolerance or allergy although it might happen more frequently than just while she's sick.  Dairy is a huge culprit on that front, but not the only possibility. And the coincidence rate of reaction with dairy and soy is 80-85% so it's good to remove both simultaneously for 2 weeks and then re-introduce one of them by way of a "challenge" and then wait to see the results before adding the other.  Ultimately, you don't want to remove anything from the diet that doesn't HAVE to be removed--so you need to isolate the reactions.

The other thing is that some immune deficiencies can cause this--specifically IgA deficiency.  When IgA deficiency is strong, you'd have much bigger problems (it would even require wearing a MedAlert bracelet).  But when it's mild, it can make someone prone to respiratory illness or exacerbate illness.

Not sure if any of that helps you!!!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page