A bunch of symptoms--anyone had similar issues? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm placing this under the allergies thread, because allergies have been a constant in my life. I was born prematurely, and experienced several environmental allergies, for which I was treated by shots from about 7-16. I was also diagnosed with asthma, but rarely use an inhaler. I have also had eczema flare-ups.

As a child, until recently, I was on antibiotics constantly, and could count on bronchitis at least once a year and prednisone shots for it up until a few years ago. I haven't been very sick in about a year-and-a-half after receiving a new treatment plan.

I have, however, had other problems, and friends and family have suggested maybe allergies, specifically food allergies, are at the root. I have never been tested for food allergies, however, and my allergist said that testing is sometimes unreliable, and he wouldn't recommend it for the expense.

So...here is what I've had over the past few years: weight gain and fluctuation of 100+ lbs (formerly no issues with weight); gallbladder out, blood clot related to gallbladder surgery, persistent stomach pain, alternate between constipation/diarrhea, diagnosed with high blood pressure, anxiety attacks, and GERD, and my OB thinks my symptoms either match PCOS or endometriosis, but doesn't see the need for treatment beyond weight loss, because I can't go on a mini pill with former blood clot issues.

What I'd like to do is lose weight or remain at a stable point, get off bp meds, get off GERD meds, reduce allergy treatments...

My sister is convinced this is all related to gluten intolerance, and my mother thinks it's my vegetarian diet. My doctor's think it's my weight, coupled with a complicated first pregnancy.

What do you guys think? Have you had similar symptoms? Thank you for any and all theories/responses. I kind of feel like I'm never going to find the right course of treatment/answer/etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot; I hope you can find the treatment that works for you. It looks like your post might have been missed, so I wanted to bump it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have experiences to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 10-05-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Have you been to the endocrinologist?  I would look at hormones. Another thing I would have looked at is Celiac. 

It isn't a "true" food allergy. Those manifest in very fast, specific ways.  You would know if it was an allergy. It *could* possibly be an intolerance but there isn't reliable scientifically tested methods to test that. It would be a detailed food log of what you eat vs. signs and symptoms.  

Also, I agree 1000% with your allergist. Testing in the absence of a pronounced and fairly immediate reaction leads to many false positives! Testing is only about 50% accurate (at best!)

Old 10-06-2013, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

It sounds like you have more than one thing going on.  Your weight fluctuation and "PCOS" dx lead me to thinking you are more likely suffering from hyperinsulinism.  It's often the cause of a PCOS diagnosis where there are no cysts.  At minimum, it runs with it if not misdiagnosed as it.

As for the eczema, GERD and allergies--that sounds like you might be reacting to something and only because of the eczema would I try ruling out dairy & soy first.  It could really be anything--but eczema is frequently dairy-related (and the coincident rate with dairy & soy are very high--so I usually advise removing them both and then challenging them one at a time).

Could it be gluten?  Yes.  But it could also be a number of other things or families of things.  For instance: if anyone in your family is allergic to aspirin, you have a higher liklihood of reacting to foods containing salicylates.  This is just one example.

Hope this helps!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...

Tags
Allergies
User Tag List