Welp, we have an answer. Sort of. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter yesterday was diagnosed with a milk allergy via scratch test. 

This is when I picture Edward Norton saying "I am Jacks complete lack of surprise". 

She'd been breaking out in hives, and its gotten such, that every exposure to dairy - more hives. Like, she ate a bean out of her brothers lunch the other day that had TOUCHED cheese and broke out in them. 

She's also allergic to ragweed. - Which carries with it the cross allergen foods- which she refuses to eat anyways. She likes guacamole, however the resultant vomiting resembles a scene from the exorcist. 

I'm glad that she lives in this day and age when dairy free is an easy viable option. However, i'm getting frustrated at people who keep thinking allergy=intolerance and are genuinely trying to be helpful and suggest goats milk. 

Part of me is frustrated, but another part of me kinda knew it would happen considering her brother's history. 

At least we have an allergist who is SUPER pro breastfeeding- she said not to wean if I wasn't planning on it because of the restricted diet, my girlie NEEDS my milk. :) (she's also pro co sleeping, :D    ) 

Any suggestions? tips on navigating this craziness? 

#2 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Living with the craziness, but it seems to be mellowing since we've been doing this for years and years.  We had some tight years, because dd1 actually added several severe allergies at 3yo that weren't even on the radar before that.  So, extra precautions were made (no nuts or peanuts or fish for a while) but we are past that and have incorporated a lot of that back in dd's diet (still no almonds or pecans, but she gets to have fish, some nuts and peanuts).

I hear you on the allergy/intolerance thing.  First, HELLO, we carry an EPIPEN for this milk allergy.  My daughter could DIE from this.  No, I calmly say that we once tried goat's milk, no it made no difference, no we haven't outgrown it, and this is a deadly matter and that I understand that life-threatening dairy allergies are indeed uncommon, but, yes, we carry an EpiPen, and BY THE WAY (FOR THE FIFTH TIME BUT I CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFUL) MAKE SURE YOU DON'T PUT THE NESQUIK IN HER HOT CHOCOLATE PLEASE.  

So, you get used to it.  Yes, it's frustrating, but I consider myself ambassador assigned to teach people about these kinds of things.  Over the years, it becomes less of a central focus in your brain, and it becomes background.  I wish it would really just go away, but alas...

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 5 Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yeah, you do get used to it.  I've just come to where people say "what about just a little bite" I recognized their COMPLETE ignorance and say "As long as you will come to my house and stay up with him all night as he is unable to control his body movements and is pretty much deaf as he is up all night long exhausting you with worry that he'll hurt himself while trying to help his body feel better or wake the neighbors with his screaming... I'm thinking you're not up for that."

I also put it on them and ask them why it's so important to THEM that your child have X?  What pain will they suffer for your kid not having this thing?  When you put it on them that way and force them to respond about THEIR feelings or repercussions, the conversation pretty much ends.  They'll try to say that it's not fair to the child or you're being unreasonable but you push them: so what?  What harm does that do THEM (the person pushing the food)?  When you force them to look at their motive for pushing food on your kid, things take a decidedly different tone.  If they refuse to answer, I leave them with "I have to say that I find it very interesting that you won't look at your own motivation behind insisting MY child needs a food that will kill them..." (in your case).  At minimum, they stop offering the food.  Unless it's an inlaw.  Then all bets are off.  I had one that would do it just to try to prove me wrong.

I do think it's the result of people with kids like mine who had intolerances that were completely blown off because they WOULDN'T kill them; but ingestion would make them bat-sh*t crazy bouncing off the walls, screaming, hurting themselves or up all night... literally... from a Dorito.  People couldn't wrap their head around it.  For them, an intolerance gave you a mild stomach ache or maybe some diarrhea--like lactose intolerance.  So a lot of those parents would say their kid had an "allergy" because people really did not get it.  And that kind of ticked off the epipen parents. 

This led to people who were dealing with FAR less severe reactions to an intolerance using the word "allergy" but when their kid got some of the food--it was clear that it wasn't a huge ordeal.  Of course, this ticked off the people with seriously reactive kids (intolerance kids, not allergic) because now their kids issues wouldn't be taken seriously.   banghead.gif 

*sigh*

We are on year 8 of it.  We are "intolerance" people for sure at this point for most things (food dyes and most corn syrup still makes him absolutely insane within minutes).  The reactions have lessened.  I do my best to educate people about the differences and I have plenty of opportunity as parents sit around and gripe about peanut free schools or not being able to bring cupcakes to class at the soccer games or whatever.  But yeah--very frustrating.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#4 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yeah, it is a problem, but one you get used to.  I have multiple food allergies, I have carried and epipen for 34 YEARS, and I still get, just try X or I am sure you have outgrown it.  Well since the last allergy test resulted in me getting epinephrine in the office, I am going to go with no, not so much wanting to "just try it."   So I feel you pain.  I will say, that if your DD has an avocado allergy, watch out for Kiwi, banana, chestnuts, hemp & Latex.  They are very closely associated I had mild reactions to chestnuts and hemp at age 5, kiwi at age 3, Latex anaphylaxis at 16 and Avocado anaphylaxis at age 2.  Bananas are still OK.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#5 of 5 Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post

Yeah, it is a problem, but one you get used to.  I have multiple food allergies, I have carried and epipen for 34 YEARS, and I still get, just try X or I am sure you have outgrown it.  Well since the last allergy test resulted in me getting epinephrine in the office, I am going to go with no, not so much wanting to "just try it."   So I feel you pain.  I will say, that if your DD has an avocado allergy, watch out for Kiwi, banana, chestnuts, hemp & Latex.  They are very closely associated I had mild reactions to chestnuts and hemp at age 5, kiwi at age 3, Latex anaphylaxis at 16 and Avocado anaphylaxis at age 2.  Bananas are still OK.

Our son has all the cross allergens for those- RAGWEED. Oh how fun. He's violently allergic to bananas. Believe it or not, RAW TOMATOES are also a cross allergen! D: She won't eat raw tomatoes or banana at all. 

The allergist says that the rag weed crosses might be helped if/when we do allergy shots for her and her brother. But you can't do an allergy shot for a milk allergy. *grump* 

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page