Allergy help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-07-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking some insight from mamas with allergy experience. My 8 year old ds rubbed Palmers body oil on himself and his hands started to swell minutes after. We washed his hands , he threw up. Have him Benadryl and waited. He also took a shower to wash it all off his body. Swelling went down after a while but he maintained slight swelling and a few hives, rash, threw up again in night. Woke up ok in the morning but didn't want to eat much all day and just looked wimpy. My sister was just arriving in town an is a CNP so I felt okay not rushing him anywhere. At any rate, we avoided the ingredients soybean oil, sesame oil, safflower oil, cocoa butter as well researching out what other chemicals might be in it. Most of them seem to be in places like shampoo or Chapstick so I am guessin it is one of the ingredients listed above. Several days later my mother ate Chinese food for lunch, sampled a hazelnut chocolate and then held his hand. The same swelling began and we assume it was maybe the hand holding? We caught it quickly, gave Benadryl and the hand swelling went down. Most of what I find on contact allergies involves contact dermatitis, so it is tough to figure out. We are going to allergist Wednesday but have to pay out of pocket so I want to be sure it is handled correctly. Any thoughts or similar experience? Thoughts on on tests we should have, patch vs scratch vs blood? Just haven't been able to find similar circumstances and we worry about feeding him, putting lotion on him, etc. sorry so long, long story
#2 of 2 Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

:bump:

Even though I am subscribed to this forum, I often miss posts, inexplicably.

I don't have all the advice for you.  Yes, you are approaching it appropriately.  You are observant, taking note of reactions and possible trigger sources.  You are not prematurely narrowing down the possible culprits.  You are contacting an allergist.  You are doing everything right.

For the sake of your own sanity, I hope it is something simple, like a sesame allergy (also in Chinese food) and not a chemical allergy that you are on your own, pretty much, to discover.  Your mother's hands light also have had some heavy lotion on it as well.

Please, give us an update!  And good luck.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page