Toddler Meal Ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi All! I'm cross posting this in the Nutrition forum because I'm at a loss. DD is almost 12 months old and getting to a stage where breastmilk is just not satisfying her hunger well enough. At the same time, we have a couple of challenges to getting her tank filled during the day. 1) she's picky. 2) she is allergic to eggs, verified by a blood test 3) we suspect intolerances (not allergies, but severe gas/GI issues) to corn, starches like rice/potatoes, oats, and coconut. She doesn't *seem* to have issues with dairy, but will not eat it. I've not yet tried goats milk but am hoping to find a good source of raw goats milk so I can make kefir. She also doesn't *seem* to have wheat issues.

ETA: she has severe issues with legumes, so peanuts, beans, etc. are out! We don't think she has a tree nut allergy but are waiting until she is older to introduce them.

So, what do I make for toddler meals?! I want to get a LOT of protein into her because she seems to do best sleep and gas wise when she gets more protein than carbs. Ideas? Please and thank you!

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-30-2014, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I'm guessing you are vegetarian?  If not, chicken, maybe fish and vegetables and fruit.  What about lentils?  Qunioa?  Sunflower seeds and pepitas?  If she doesn't have wheat issues, that's great.  Allergies to most good vegetarian protein sources is what pushed me into eating more meat than I normally would like.

I would also look at trialing nuts.  I respect the need to work within your comfort zone, though.  We did have to ban nuts for a few years because my daughter, who was always severely allergic to dairy, suddenly developed a huge wheat allergy at 3.5.  That's when all nuts were taken "off the table" for a while.  Almonds and hazelnuts supposedly fewer people are allergic to (though I am allergic to both, and dd to almonds) and might be a good place to start.

A good place for a picky eater (and my younger, non-allergic daughter is insanely picky now though wasn't back then) is a vegetable garden.  My vegetable-averse daughter will be eating raw kale, peas, all sorts of flowers, carrots with a mere brushing-off.  It's only for a season, I know.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 4 Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hiya, SS! Sorry- we do eat meat, actually! If we didn't it would be really hard for me to eat well while bf-ing because DD can't tolerate legumes (including lentils), even if *I* eat them. Thank you!!

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif
#4 of 4 Old 02-03-2014, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

DD eats what we eat.  I usually do a braised chicken leg dish once a week, salmon or fish twice a week, stew once a week, and a ground meat dish once or twice a week.  I do a ground lamb shepherds pie with mashed cauliflower or celery root puree on top, ground beef taco meat with avocado and usually grilled squash, asian lettuce wraps with ground turkey or pork.  I make any of those leftovers into soup for her lunch with homemade bone broth. 

If your daughter can't do coconut, I would definitely make sure to get grass fed butter and raw cream into her diet as much as possible, does she object to butter on her veggies?

We are egg free, so for breakfast we have homemade sausage or bacon with sweet potato hash, roasted squash, cooked apples and/or raw sauerkraut.  You just kind of have to think outside of your own box for what you like to eat at certain times of the day.  My daughter LOVES sardines and will happily eat almost a whole can herself for breakfast.  I'm fine with sardines for lunch, but not for breakfast, but to her it's not weird to eat them for breafast, same goes for soup.

Mama to a DD, born 5.20.2012

Expecting #2 in Early November 2014!

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page