unsupportive dr, not sure where to go from here. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've posted a few times about my daughters frequent night waking and severe gas. she is seven months old.

She has always been "gassy" and never slept well. her belly was covered in eczema for months. All of these concerns were brushed off by her doctor who suggested hydrocortisone for the eczema and said she would outgrow the fussiness.

I asked him many times if I should eliminate anything from my diet and see If it helped her, and he always told me not to. He said "we could chase our tails for months on this and not figure it out". very, very frustrating.

I eliminated dairy on my own mid January. within a few weeks the eczema was completely gone (never used the hydrocortisone) and the explosive farts upon nightwaking were much less severe. obviously I concluded shes sensitive to dairy.

2 weeks ago I cut out wheat, soy, eggs, and nuts. she is still waking as much as every hour, obviously with gas. she pulls on and off the breast during the day arching her back. is it too soon to see a difference with the last four things I cut out? should I keep doing what Im doing for a few more weeks or cut out more things?

Its just so frustrating to have a Dr brush you off when you know something is wrong. I feel like I am grasping at straws here on my own with no support (except for DH, who is super supportive but doesn't know how to help).

couple of other things.:

I drink a cup of coffee every morning. could caffeine upset her belly hours later?

shes not really into solids. I get a few bites of oatmeal and bananas in her some days, but that's about it.

she has a stretch of sleep from about 7:30 to 11, then its up every hour or two till 7 am. when she wakes she is almost always arching her back passing gas. she also only sleeps in her swing. she will sometimes sleep with me but not for very long stretches. When she wakes she nurses for a few seconds and passes back out for another hour. she never stays up long.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has a word of support or guidance. I am feeling very alone (and sleepy) on this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 03-16-2014, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, he is not guiding me at all. Keeps saying she will grow out of it.
#3 of 16 Old 03-16-2014, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know how much you eat them but cruciferous vegetables, and some fruits, can cause gas and pass through bm, additionally you might want to avoid giving her oatmeal for a while and see if that helps because some people can't tolerate it without lots of gas and it can be harder for babies especially.
#4 of 16 Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you I didn't know oatmeal caused gas! That's great to know. What are the safest, least gas causing foods I can give her? Or should I stick to Bm for a while since she's not interested anyway?
#5 of 16 Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

If she is under a year you can really just skip the grains. They tend to be harder to digest. Soaking both beans and grains before cooking them is supposed to help make it easier for them to be digested. You can probably look over in the traditional foods forum or just google it to find out more. If she is sensitive to gluten, you will want to use certified gluten-free oats, but even then a small percentage of people may still react to them.

#6 of 16 Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's funny I knew some people had issues with oatmeal but when I was looking for a list of problematic produce it came up in a list of top 7 most common gas producing food. I lean towards traditional foods, so my suggestions for her would be liver and egg yolks(slowly), and other pureed meats, bone broth if you make it. And maybe adding mashed avocado, or pureed root vegetables sautéed in coconut oil. Since her problem is gas I would suggest putting off stone fruits for awhile since those are the most frequently blamed fruits for gas. And consider adding a probiotic for either you or her, lots of people have reported really good results with that.
#7 of 16 Old 03-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersmommy514 View Post

shes not really into solids. I get a few bites of oatmeal and bananas in her some days, but that's about it.

she has a stretch of sleep from about 7:30 to 11, then its up every hour or two till 7 am. when she wakes she is almost always arching her back passing gas. she also only sleeps in her swing. she will sometimes sleep with me but not for very long stretches. When she wakes she nurses for a few seconds and passes back out for another hour. she never stays up long.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has a word of support or guidance. I am feeling very alone (and sleepy) on this.

My baby has tummy troubles, we faced a lot of the same things, but fortunately we were able to figure it out by 5 months. The sleep didn't totally clear up, though. If you manage to get the tummy troubles settled and are still having sleep problems, the "No Cry Sleep Solution" seems really good. Just a suggestion, I haven't actually had the chance to use it.

I agree about looking into the cruciferous vegetables and probiotics. I have heard that problematic foods can stay in your (and your baby's) system for a few weeks, so I'd give it a little longer. Especially the soy, a lot of people who have problems with milk have problems with soy. For adult elimination diets, they suggest 4 weeks clean.

Have you tried any homeopathic solutions? Chamomile may help (you can drink a cup of it a bit before a nursing session), and there are a few other herbs that can help with gas and upset tummies as well. Gripe water may help if you haven't tried it yet, and they make gas drop medication but I'm not sure if you'd want to use it. We tried it and our baby developed a tolerance quite quickly, so I'm not impressed.

When she's ready for it, consider trying out goat's milk for her. A lot of people who can't handle cow's milk can handle goat's milk, some people have really huge success with it. Not everyone does, though (for example: I'm allergic to it), so be careful with it.

On solids- same thing for us. At 8 months I was starting to really fret because our baby barely ever ate solids while some peoples' babies were eating 4 whole meals a day! Sometime during the 9th month, it was like a switch was flicked and our baby suddenly really got into the swing of solids- no chewing/swallowing problems, and ate pretty good amounts. We still have days he's not interested, though. I know they say that babies are "ready" at 6 months, but I don't think our baby was actually ready until 9 months. Now he basically has no problems, we're still keeping an eye on possible sensitivities, but the really awful tummy troubles are gone. Take a deep breath and trust your baby to know what's right for her.

If you haven't already looked into Baby Led Weaning, I would. It gives her more control over food. You don't have to give up spoon-feeding to do it, we do a mix- some days, our baby really likes BLW, some days our baby only wants to be spoon-fed.

Also, bananas can cause constipation, I don't know if that's ever a problem for your baby but because she has tummy worries, just be aware. Applesauce can as well. I agree that you don't need to give grains. Our baby does have grains, although I'm thinking about cutting it down.

#8 of 16 Old 03-16-2014, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)

Gassiness can also be caused by swallowing air due to tongue-tie. May not be your problem, but it's worth investigating, maybe. Also, she may have silent reflux, especially since she only likes to sleep in her swing.

As far as elimination, I would probably give it another week or so without eliminating anything else. You don't want to kill yourself trying to figure this out, either. If eliminating all of those things seems to make no change, I might try gradually adding a few back in before experimenting with other elimination, just to make sure you still have plenty of things you can eat. But I'm not an expert on any of this. I did go dairy and gluten free to try to help my son's eczema, but it didn't seem to have much effect.

With the caffeine - I don't know. It would seem like it would cause issues sooner, but some babies are definitely sensitive to it. I know my cousin and another friend both had to give up chocolate because it upset their babies.

Good luck, mama, and I'm sorry your doctor is being so useless!

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
#9 of 16 Old 03-17-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We have had really good results from giving DD probiotics. We use Udo's Choice but there are other infant brands.

I agree with the PP that it sounds like reflux is also a factor. At the worst of it, my DD got reflux if I ate carrots, lime, lemon, orange juice, strawberries, tomatoes, any trace soy or dairy, even small amounts of coffee, etc. I think the reflux symptoms and gas are related in this case.

I also agree with PPs that it took weeks to get the reflux under control enough to start adding foods back an eliminating specific problem foods. If it were me, I'd give her a high quality infant probiotic consistently and then turn my attention to finding the cause of the reflux.

The fact that she sleeps ok at the beginning of the night makes me wonder exactly what you're doing, eating, taking (vitamins) from about noon on. Soy is in A LOT of things as d alpha tocopherol. That's one that my DD is intolerant of, although they claim it's non-allergenic. And if something has vitamin E, it's almost always soy-derived.

The swing is probably best for now to help your baby get some sleep. When we got allergies and reflux under control, DD's sleep naturally improved, which made her an even happier baby during the day. My DD slept in hers for a long time, then moved to her crib on her tummy. She now sleeps on her tummy every night (17 months old).

PM me if you have any questions!
#10 of 16 Old 03-17-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Do any of your Los take mess for reflux? I hate the thought of having her on something at such a young age. Is it possible to control reflux with diet only?
#11 of 16 Old 03-17-2014, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe I should stop my AM cup of coffee just as a precaution. Sometimes I have a glass of wine when she falls asleep. Could this irritate her after her first MOTN feed? I'm not eating any processed stuff now. Lots of plain baked yams, brown rice, meats, veggies, and hummus on rice crackers. Also TONS of chamomile tea with honey. Partly cause I heard it can help and partly cause I love it. I really appreciate all the responses!!
#12 of 16 Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

She was checked for tounge tie, pp. she's good there.
#13 of 16 Old 03-17-2014, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Meds were helpful for two weeks, then not. I've heard that happens to others often. You keep upping the dose but it doesn't solve the problem since the problem is the proteins in the food causing excess acid.

Red wine was on my No list for a long time. Till about 1 year when she outgrew the citrus sensitivity.

When I cut dairy, I also cut beef because it has the same proteins. It was proven later through accidental exposure that beef produced the same negative response.

Check the hummus and cracker ingredients. Soybean oil always causes reflux and skin rash for my DD.
#14 of 16 Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

I will nix wine and beef, and keep up with the no dairy and soy and wheat and see where we get. Thanks so much for all the great responses.
#15 of 16 Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

Question: Are you cutting out wheat only or gluten? You may need to cut out all gluten. Also, how careful are you about checking labels? WAY too many things have wheat or gluten added to them!

I agree about meds not being the answer, they're a temporary solution that covers up the underlying problem. If your baby is really suffering and desperately needs sleep, it might be worth it while you figure out what the cause is, but I don't think it's a long-term solution.

#16 of 16 Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

all gluten and I am militant about labels. they are tricky so if I'm not sure about something, I skip it. This is all so hard. my 3 YO DS had none of these issues.

Tags
Allergies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page