Fruit makes me gag - Mothering Forums
Allergies > Fruit makes me gag
sillysapling's Avatar sillysapling 09:45 PM 03-16-2014

I'm not sure this belongs here exactly because it's not necessarily an allergy thing.

Fruit tastes very bitter to me and generally the only way I eat it is in really sugary desserts. The only fruits I can eat on their own are fruits I had a lot as a kid (watermelon, cantaloupe are the biggest ones- not other melons), so I think I wasn't exposed to enough fruit as a kid.

I'm trying to eat healthier, including more fruit and less added sugar, and I actually gag. I have to choke it down. This is true when I mix the fruit into something or after eating a meal, so it's not just a problem on an empty stomach. And that's just for fruits that I "like". I don't feel horribly sick afterwards, but I was more worried about the gagging and didn't pay huge attention. When I eat something with fruit in it (ex. banana bread), I don't notice any problems.

After doing a bit of research, I know I'm not the first person to have this problem, but most suggestions are not to eat fruit on an empty stomach, which doesn't work for me. If it were just one food, I'd just stop eating it and figure I can't handle it, but all fruit?

katelove's Avatar katelove 03:14 AM 03-17-2014
TBH, I'm not sure fruit is that important as long as you eat a lot of vegetables. There is nothing which fruit contains that you can't get elsewhere.

If you are keen to add fruit to your diet though and you think it is more of an aversion than an allergy or intolerance then i would suggest starting with very tiny amounts. Pea-sized, if necessary, and then very slowly work up from there.
Tags: Allergies
Up