Does this reaction sound familiar to anyone??? Swelling lips and itchy rash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-07-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To start - I have Celiac's Disease and tested intolerances to corn, soy, shellfish and walnuts.  Oh and peanuts.  I've never had an immediate allergic reaction...it's just always been more long term autoimmune reactions.  So I'm pretty  much alwyas careful but at times am not as careful as I should be, especially when I go out to eat so there are times when I do ingest these things.  Most of the time I don’t even know it when I eat something I’m allergic/intolerant to but I can tell when I’m not being careful for long periods of time because I get sick a lot, get cystic acne…stuff like that.

That being said…I’m now 11 weeks pregnant and for the past month have been having an allergic reaction visible on my lips and skin.  It started with extreme swelling and burning of my lips and then broke out in what I called hives but looked more like acne than anything else but it was everywhere and not the normal cystic type…more like razor burn type whiteheads.  So I thought maybe it was toothpaste so I cut that out and it didn’t do anything.  Cut out a facewash that I found had wheat protein in it and that didn’t help.  Now I’m looking at possibly having developed an egg allergy.  I eat eggs after I work out every weekday morning.  Never on the weekends…the reaction always gets better on the weekends so it kind of makes sense…?

Anyway – does this sound familiar to anyone?  The crazy swelled burning lips for days and weeks at a time and the itchy rash/acne type rash??  Just wondering if there is a food that commonly makes people react that way.  I’ve never dealt with these types of reactions…mine have always been long term sickness type stuff.  It’s very painful and annoying… HELP!!!

Thanks in advance :)

#2 of 8 Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I have no advice. Wondering if anyone else does. Bump
#3 of 8 Old 05-11-2014, 03:51 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Thrush?  IDK.  Be super careful about food labels and hidden ingredients.  The acne reaction surprises me, because I didn't know acne could be the result of food allergy.  I'm in my 30s and I STILL battle acne.  That's something I'm going to have to look into...

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#4 of 8 Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Allergic symptoms can increase temporarily or sometimes even permanently during pregnancy.  

I would look to what you already know and start being diligent about what you are eating-- no more eating what you aren't sure about, for while anyway.  Keep a detailed food diary-- what and when-- along with a diary of any symptoms coming and going.

Agree, the eggs sound suspicious.  When you are ready to do a challenge, eliminate for a period of time and then make sure to add it back in without making any changes to your diet, and in as pure a form as possible (for eggs that would be hard boiled).  You could even start by consuming the yolk first then trying out the egg white a few days later.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 8 Old 05-16-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yolk and white can not truly be tested individually. Not even sure why Dr's test like that.  The degree of cooked can also be an issue. Baked vs. scrabbled vs. hard boiled are all different molecularly and some may cause an issue while others don't.  Baked being the most broken down, then had boiled then things like scrabbled.

#6 of 8 Old 05-16-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

Yolk and white can not truly be tested individually. 

Interesting.  Why is that?  It seems so logical (on first thought anyhow) that they should be able to.  Is it because the proteins are the same, and yolk simply has less of it?

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#7 of 8 Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Interesting.  Why is that?  It seems so logical (on first thought anyhow) that they should be able to.  Is it because the proteins are the same, and yolk simply has less of it?

Perhaps I misspoke- You can not truly get 100% yolk.  You will "drag" white through and into the yolk if you tried to extract it. You *may* be able to get white only but never yolk. 

#8 of 8 Old 05-16-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post

Perhaps I misspoke- You can not truly get 100% yolk.  

Aha-- got it.

Tags
Allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page