has anyone successfully reintroduced gluten? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
has anyone successfully reintroduced gluten?

Im starting to wonder if my decision of cutting out gluten for my children will come back and bite me you know where!

long story short, ds 2 has blood in stool as a baby, so i cut out gluten to heal his gut among other things. he is almost two years old and has only had gluten maybe two weeks of his life. during that time he got a couple of pimples on his bottom and upper thighs. i also thought i noticed the familiar dark circles that both ds1 and i have. so i dropped the gluten for him.

i was off of gluten for a year for nursing him, and when i reintroduced it, i just felt awful. some stomach pain and just feeling lousy. i tried it four different intervals and have finally decided im better off wihtout it.

well now recently, we were told by an herbalist to cut gluten and dairy out for ds 1 based on symptoms and bloodwork. its been a month now and his tics have faded tremendously, though it could be an herb hes been on as well. i plan on reintroducing dairy and gluten after the 6 week period, but im nervous now that i might have messed up his gut balance.

my friend whos a doctor believes that once someone cuts something out, theyll never be able to tolerate that again. i always thought it was the opposite, once you give the gut a break, youll be stronger and tolerate things better.

it just seems like with allergies and intolerances these days, theyre opposing views and no one really knows for sure.

id love to hear your personal experiences with cutting foods out, for how long, and what happened when reintroduced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Cutting foods doesn't mean you will never be able to reintroduce them. There is NO science to that and if you look at true allergies, many people can and do outgrow them.

There aren't any tests for intolerances that are scientifically sound.

If you are worried about gut balance try a really good probiotic along the way.

Good luck!!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input! I also read somewhere recently that we develop antibodies or something along those lines, for foods within the first two years of our lives. So the food you eat for those two years will be safe throughout life?? In naturally worked about my almost two year old that has barely had any gluten. But then it dawned on me, that most young children are incredibly picky, and never try any major nuts or shellfish etc until much later in life. This theory just doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
That too is not true. There are plenty of people with adult onset allergies out of the blue who have eaten something pretty regularly then they have a bad reaction to it.

It's been said that kids at the toddler age are picky because that was when Mom's let them venture out of the cave alone little by little so they only ate what Mama had given them as a way of staying safe. I forget where I read this but it sounds pretty good to me!!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

so has anyone cut gluten out for at least 6 weeks and then reintroduced with no symptoms? or has anyone held off on feeding gluten to their babies until after two years old and not had any negative symptoms?
Old 06-26-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Im sorry to keep this thread going, but I really am wondering if anyone has successfully reintroduced gluten into their kids diets after taking it out for 5 weeks? We have just reintroduced gluten after 5 weeks off, and ds1 is having tummy issues, though im not sure its from the gluten. it seemed to start on sunday from heat and carnival rides, then tuesday he had tummy pain with a little loose stools, and today, thursday he had on and off tummy pain, but no loose stools or vomit. he seems to be nauseous though. hes had gluten sunday, tuesday and today, one serving of bread each day. the nausea seems to be around all day on and off, not immediately after he eats gluten or anything.

even though i am someone who is totally against gluten, im trying not to be super paranoid about it with my son and would like to make sure its the gluten and nothing else thats causing his pain. i am scared that i couldve possibly ruined his chances of eaten gluten ever again because we cut it out.

so please, anyone share your experiences ith me about eliminating and reintroducing gluten pretty please)
Old 11-11-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I discovered my daughter's dairy allergy when she was a few months old. I cut dairy from my diet when I was breastfeeding. She improved, but still had tummy pains, eczema, and other issues. As a toddler, I tried keeping a food diary, eliminating gluten for a week, and I couldn't figure it out. I had her tested for allergies: iGg and iGe responses. She has trouble with dairy, wheat/gluten, and egg whites. As I looked on the internet for new recipes, I have found that they often go together. Maybe your child has more than one allergy? Also, it took 6 weeks of very strictly staying off of gluten before she no longer said on a daily basis that her tummy hurt. Gluten can hurt your insides, and it takes time to heal. I also had her take the ALCAT test, and we had a VERY long list of foods that we needed to avoid for awhile. After a year of following the rules for these foods, we can basically do fine with them. But I was told that she cannot have the dairy, gluten, or eggs. Not sure if any of this helps, but I know it was a long process and lots of research on my own. We also make bone broth, take theraputic grade probiotics and fermented cod liver oil, and soak grains before cooking them.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post
i am scared that i couldve possibly ruined his chances of eaten gluten ever again because we cut it out.

I just don't buy this theory AT ALL. I cannot tolerate gluten -- even tiny bits cause a variety of reactions throughout my body. But I was fine until my late 40s. I had gluten as a baby, toddler, child, teen, young adult, and middle adult. And then for no reason, it started effecting me quite severely.

Also, we know lots of immigrants. They grew up eating one set of food, and then as adults switched to eating a different set of foods. On the whole, they don't have intolerances.

The thing about gluten is that GMO wheat is nothing like what our grandparents ate. This is a huge experiment that is being done on us. There were NO safety trials because, even though it is different at a molecular level, no one thought it mattered. It used to be that gluten intolerance was very rare, and now it is very common. Because wheat just isn't what it used to be. It's possible that your son won't be able to tolerate it, a lot of people can't. But I don't buy that it is because you didn't feed it to him at the right time.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 11-15-2014, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
No....we discovered my 7 year olds gluten allergy at almost a year old...She was labeled failure to thrive.....

We do a trial every now and again at the Peds insistance and a small glimmer of possible hope...but it always ends the same....pale face, purple shiners, hurting stomache, swollen knees, horrible leg pains and terrible diarrhea...

I have often wondered the same about the flours being changed and that being the reason.....I might have to really consider doing a trial with organic gmo flour if I can find it...

OP...I understand your need and hope....I do hope your child can eventually have the gluten...I am right there with you....

User Tag List