has anyone successfully reintroduced gluten? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
has anyone successfully reintroduced gluten?

Im starting to wonder if my decision of cutting out gluten for my children will come back and bite me you know where!

long story short, ds 2 has blood in stool as a baby, so i cut out gluten to heal his gut among other things. he is almost two years old and has only had gluten maybe two weeks of his life. during that time he got a couple of pimples on his bottom and upper thighs. i also thought i noticed the familiar dark circles that both ds1 and i have. so i dropped the gluten for him.

i was off of gluten for a year for nursing him, and when i reintroduced it, i just felt awful. some stomach pain and just feeling lousy. i tried it four different intervals and have finally decided im better off wihtout it.

well now recently, we were told by an herbalist to cut gluten and dairy out for ds 1 based on symptoms and bloodwork. its been a month now and his tics have faded tremendously, though it could be an herb hes been on as well. i plan on reintroducing dairy and gluten after the 6 week period, but im nervous now that i might have messed up his gut balance.

my friend whos a doctor believes that once someone cuts something out, theyll never be able to tolerate that again. i always thought it was the opposite, once you give the gut a break, youll be stronger and tolerate things better.

it just seems like with allergies and intolerances these days, theyre opposing views and no one really knows for sure.

id love to hear your personal experiences with cutting foods out, for how long, and what happened when reintroduced?
#2 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Cutting foods doesn't mean you will never be able to reintroduce them. There is NO science to that and if you look at true allergies, many people can and do outgrow them.

There aren't any tests for intolerances that are scientifically sound.

If you are worried about gut balance try a really good probiotic along the way.

Good luck!!
#3 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input! I also read somewhere recently that we develop antibodies or something along those lines, for foods within the first two years of our lives. So the food you eat for those two years will be safe throughout life?? In naturally worked about my almost two year old that has barely had any gluten. But then it dawned on me, that most young children are incredibly picky, and never try any major nuts or shellfish etc until much later in life. This theory just doesn't make much sense to me.
#4 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
That too is not true. There are plenty of people with adult onset allergies out of the blue who have eaten something pretty regularly then they have a bad reaction to it.

It's been said that kids at the toddler age are picky because that was when Mom's let them venture out of the cave alone little by little so they only ate what Mama had given them as a way of staying safe. I forget where I read this but it sounds pretty good to me!!
#5 of 7 Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

so has anyone cut gluten out for at least 6 weeks and then reintroduced with no symptoms? or has anyone held off on feeding gluten to their babies until after two years old and not had any negative symptoms?
#6 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Im sorry to keep this thread going, but I really am wondering if anyone has successfully reintroduced gluten into their kids diets after taking it out for 5 weeks? We have just reintroduced gluten after 5 weeks off, and ds1 is having tummy issues, though im not sure its from the gluten. it seemed to start on sunday from heat and carnival rides, then tuesday he had tummy pain with a little loose stools, and today, thursday he had on and off tummy pain, but no loose stools or vomit. he seems to be nauseous though. hes had gluten sunday, tuesday and today, one serving of bread each day. the nausea seems to be around all day on and off, not immediately after he eats gluten or anything.

even though i am someone who is totally against gluten, im trying not to be super paranoid about it with my son and would like to make sure its the gluten and nothing else thats causing his pain. i am scared that i couldve possibly ruined his chances of eaten gluten ever again because we cut it out.

so please, anyone share your experiences ith me about eliminating and reintroducing gluten pretty please)
#7 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are worried about gut balance try a really good probiotic along the way.

Your allergy journey starts here. It's your step-by-step guide of what to expect when you live with allergies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page