Is eczema a big deal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Arrow Is eczema a big deal?

My 13 month old experiences varying degrees of reactions to solid foods ranging from bloody stool, diarrhea, abdominal pain, reflux, and eczema. This has been to several foods. Right now his diet is basically 3 foods, neocate, and breastmilk with me on a limited diet. The neocate is to make up for inadequate food intake.

I have stopped feeding him foods that cause all symptoms, but now I am second guessing myself. Is eczema really a big deal and he shouldn't eat the food that is causing eczema? I have assumed that eczema is a sign of internal inflammation and removed a food that causes him eczema. But if I feed him all the foods that *only* cause eczema and no pain, bloody stools, etc, his diet would be more complete and he would not need the neocate. I don't like feeding him formula, I prefer whole organic foods. But, the neocate doesn't cause eczema and a lot of the foods I try to feed him do.

When his diet and my diet are what they are supposed to be, he has no eczema. Otherwise it starts minor and then progresses to weeping, which he scratches until it bleeds. We haven't used any type of topical steroid because I can keep it under control with diet. But, this is a lot more restrictive than I ever thought it would come to!

So I don't know, what would you do?? Feed him foods that cause eczema so he doesn't need to have the formula or just keep trying to find foods that don't cause any reaction?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
80% of eczema is not food related. If you are keeping a detailed food log and it REALLY makes the eczema bad, I would potentially pull the food. If it's still manageable and would increase your childs whole foods intake, I would consider the pros and cons of leaving it in his diet.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post
80% of eczema is not food related. If you are keeping a detailed food log and it REALLY makes the eczema bad, I would potentially pull the food. If it's still manageable and would increase your childs whole foods intake, I would consider the pros and cons of leaving it in his diet.
He only has eczema when it is food related. It will get itchy and he scratches his cheek and feet til they bleed even if I put lotions on it.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graph View Post
He only has eczema when it is food related. It will get itchy and he scratches his cheek and feet til they bleed even if I put lotions on it.
Ouch sorry to hear that.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:07 PM

Where is the 80% of eczema is not food related from (the statistic)? Because if it's from doctors who know nothing about food and nutrition, it's bogus. For us, my daughter's reaction to corn was eczema, we took it out. She was on 20 foods when she was an infant because of varying reactions to foods. My son was on neocate when he weaned abruptly at 8 months old and wouldn't take breastmilk from me or a bottle. As far as I know, neocate didn't do anything to him. He (at 14yo) still has intolerances to 5 foods. My daughter (9yo) still has intolerances to 4 foods. Personally, I feel like you did, that eczema as inflammation is a sign of inflammation elsewhere, so I took it out. Did you take out whole food groups? or single foods? Because I think that's the mistake that I made with my daughter (food groups).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 10-29-2014, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are actually several causes for eczema such as food, stress and environmental factors. If a child has already acquired this condition, they are likely to develop food allergies as well as asthma. So, it is very important that you look after their diet, avoid foods that can trigger and worsen skin irritation and inflammation. My sister's 2 year old son has also suffered from eczema and she keeps him away from eating fast foods. She also make use of manuka honey as an anti-inflammatory alternative.

User Tag List