Mothering Forum banner

Eczema idea

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  BusyMommy 
#1 ·
Don't know if this works yet, but the ND recommended giving my son Vit A drops (1/day) to help w/his ext. dry skin. If it's great after 10 days, stick w/that. If it's some improvement, add a tiny tablet of biotin to see how those 2 together help.

Who knows...we're trying it!

#3 ·
we successfuly cleared up my daughter's eczema (she was 1 1/2 at the time) with 3 things our naturopath recommended:
vitamin A (mycelized vitamin A drops, 5000 IU, 1 drop a day)
Evening Primrose Oil (1 500mg capsule, squeezed, twice a day)
Cod Liver Oil (1/2 tsp, twice a day)
it cleared up in 1-2 months!!
we were a bit worried about the vitamin A, since we have heard that too much may be harmful to the liver, and cod liver oil has vitamin A in it too. but she has been on this program for over 6 months and no problems. plus, our naturopath assures us it is safe and i want so badly to believe him! it works!
vitamin A is good for fighting viruses too, though my kids get sick quite often anyway.
good luck. eczema is hard to clear up. i've had it on my hands for 7 years and am now trying a similar diet plus a few other things. i hope it works as well.

#4 ·
Do you use the epo topically or orally? I've heard that it works topically, though I haven't tried it on my children. (It was just the guy behind the counter at the healthfood store who told me this--I'm not vouching for the accuracy of the info!)

#7 ·
cod liver oil is a good source of omega 3 fatty acids, evening primrose oil is a good source of omega 6 fatty acids. both omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids (also called essential fatty acids) are important for everyone's health, but in people with eczema, the fatty acids are not utilized correctly, causing eczema, asthma, bronchitis. getting a good balance of omega 3 and omega 6 is important...my naturopath said they would saturate all of the cells in my body. i just imagine all of my cells being hydrated again! besides cod liver oil and evening primrose oil, sunflower oil (taken orally -- not cooked), nuts, seeds, and fish are good things to eat a lot of. also, sugar can block the body's ability to use fatty acids, so cutting it out is a good thing to try too.

we did cure my daughter's eczema with just the cod liver and evening primrose oils, but my eczema is more deep rooted (7 years), so i am cutting out sugar, white flour, and taking EPO, fish oil, and sunflower oil...lots of supplements, lots of money, and no sugar or white flour is difficult! but i am feeling very healthy, my eczema is beginning to go away (it's been only 3 weeks) and my diet is fantastically healthy!!! all added benefits.

sorry, i know this is a weak answer to your question, but i am just trying to interpret this sheet of information my naturopath gave me, and it is late and my brain is working about 1/4 power right now!

#8 ·
No, thank you!!! I honestly didn't even know Omega 6 fatty acids existed.
You've prompted me to be more religious about his Omega 3 and to ask his ND about EPO. I thought that was just to help get labor going.

Well, I can't tell if the Vit A has worked b/c now it's really hot out and he's covered w/a heat rash. sigh....

On to biotin,too!

#10 ·
Also be aware that often times, fatty acid supplementation works by compensating for zinc deficiency. Fatty acid metabolism is like a chain reaction--take the "essential" fatty acid, add an enzyme & it breaks down into the next fatty acid, which you add another enzyme to & then it breaks down into the next fatty acid & so on. Zinc is a major component of those enzymes & if you are zinc deficient, you can't break them down. Take linoleic acid which we usually get plenty of in our diets. If you have good enzyme power, it converts to GLA & if you don't, you just get lots of linoleic acid. That's why EPO & borage work--they give you dietary GLA directly so you bypass that enzyme. http://www.metametrix.com/Publicatio...d%20Profiling/

#11 ·
AutumnDawn, Sorry so long! Biotin helps metabolize fatty acids and improve hair, skin, and nerve health. I don't know how quickly it works, but my son's skin is almost entirely clear right now. Of course, that may be the Vit A finally kicking in after 10 days. Or, it could be that I've let him run around in short shorts (or just a diaper) the last few days. I've heard exposure to some sunlight helps clear eczema conditions.

I don't know! But, whatever it is, is working!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.