Intolerances and rash around mouth - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 04-17-2016, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Intolerances and rash around mouth

Hi there. New to this forum.

I have a little girl turning 5 in a couple weeks. We have had problems with food intolerances since she was a baby - they aren't true allergies, IgE testing has all come back negative.

When she eats a food that bothers her, she gets a pimply red rash around her mouth a couple days later. We have had to do careful food diaries and elimination diets to find out her trigger foods. At first, it was just dairy. Then it was potato. Then there was a problem with beef. Then sweet potato. Then tomato. Garlic. Now something new is bothering her AGAIN and I'm just going nuts. I know I can figure out what it is but I just can't figure out why we keep losing foods!

Has anyone had a similar situation? Did your child eventually tolerate more foods? Also, if anyone has had the red spots around the mouth, did those eventually go away as your child got older?

Thanks for reading. I'm at wit's end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-19-2016, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
I have little experience in your specific problem, and hopefully someone will come along soon who does. But I do have experience with allergies and some intolerances with my daughter and me.

How many of those foods have you revisited? I ask because these kinds of things can change-- for better or for worse. You might do well to give these other ones a try again.

Is the rash around the mouth the only problem? Is she complaining about pain or itching when that happens (also back or palate and even ears)? Does she have gastrointestinal distress? Does her anus hurt and get red and/or bumpy? Does she have trouble sleeping? Noticeable mood swings? Or does she barely notice her reaction, if at all?

Did she test positive to grass, ragweed or other pollen? Is her reaction slightly seasonal? Are you noticing this more this last month?

Do you notice if she has other signs that her skin's barrier function is weak? ("Sensitive skin"?)

If her symptoms are around her mouth *only* then I would reconsider elimination when you are faced with cutting so many foods out of her diet. Cut out the foods that appear to be causing her actual distress and then be mindful of the rest without eliminating them entirely.

Some of us are simply sensitive to foods superficially, but they don't cause problems systematically. Does that make sense? It's good to be vigilant, but at some point you reach a threshold and realize that you have to eat something, and that these reactions, while annoying, aren't really causing problems "down the line", and I do have plenty of those problems with which to compare the two.

Trees are blooming, and grasses are just beginning and with me that creates a pollen load and I start noticing that certain fruits and vegetables are starting to irritate my mouth-- tickling, tingling and the occasional rash around the outside but nothing dramatic. It's like my body suddenly has no more "give" to accommodate potential irritants and the rashes and itches (mild, for me) start when before it was fine.

So, summary: revisit some of the foods you've eliminated because her reactions might have changed. Eliminate only the foods that are causing her actual distress. Maybe limit the rest, if you are worried about inundating her system, but the body is in flux, so her reactions might fade, or worsen as the months and years pass. And keep in mind this is the beginning of high allergy season, and what might be bothering her today might be fine for her once the season passes.

Welcome to the world of intolerances. It gets dizzy here, so take your dramamine.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page