Allergies and weight loss - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 12-11-2016, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Allergies and weight loss

Hi moms. Watning! This is a long post!! It's really a cross between allergies and weight loss, I wasn't sure where to post this...

I am almost two years post partum after my fourth. I thought this time around I'd lose the baby weight much quicker because I had worked out for most of the pregnancy and was determined to start again at 6 weeks pp. I didn't start again until after 2 months, and it didn't continue for too long because it was hard to schedule outings to the gym. I am a stay at home mom and while my hubby helps as much as possible, the gym visits declined until they didn't exist anymore.

At some point I bought an affordable elliptical machine and figured I'd work out and watch tv after the kids were all asleep.
Over this passed summer I was doing well and losing weight but I have stagnated now.

I find it very hard to commit to eating healthy with a limited diet due to food allergies. I cannot eat any fruit. I cannot eat whole grains, except for oats. I can't eat nuts and my kids are highly allergic to seeds so I keep them out of the house.

I don't eat terribly, and for the most part don't eat junky food. But I am limited to white flour, and while I can eat vegetables, I don't Always have the time for prep.
I spend most of my time cooking for my highly allergic son and other picky eaters, who all have different tastes and food restrictions. By the time I'm finished with their food I'm too tired to put much effort into my own!

I don't know if I'm looking for advice or just for some empathy and someone to say-it gets better and the weight will come off even if I can't eat as healthy as I'd like! I don't know. I just feel sad that I can't eat what I want, and I've been allergic for many years. But I feel like it's impacting me more now than ever before.

Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-12-2016, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Oh, been there. Been there. Still there to some degree. It doesn't sound like I am so limited in what I can eat, but I know the different meals and the giving up.

When you say you've stagnated, does that mean you are maintaining? I keep saying, maintenance is a victory. Claim it.

You don't say how old you are. Every few years once you hit your mid-30's, it seems like you need to reassess what you eat. It happens in fits.

I have a feeling from my own experience that to some extent, your body needs to be ready to cooperate. I know that sounds odd, but your body has ideas of its own as to whether to gain, lose or maintain.

Your inability to make an effort for yourself means you might not be paying attention to what goes in your body. Somehow, make it an intentional meal, and not piecemeal. It could be that you are inadvertently eating too many calories. Especially when we are eating something we don't want to eat, we are left wanting more, not because we're hungry but because we didn't eat what we wanted. Pay attention to that.

Exercise isn't great for weight *loss* necessarily, so don't fret over that too much. In fact, intense exercise can make you eat more than you really need. What exercise does seem to do, besides making us feel great, is that it helps make it easier to maintain the weight. I haven't been exercising as much because of college, and after a recent camping trip (I'm *outside*!! I need another 10,000 calories NOW!!!) I had a harder time reestablishing my usual weight. It seems to even everything out, and makes us feel awesome and walk tall. I've taken to doing yoga to my favorite albums, and heading out on a walk as soon as their dad gets home, as often as possible (yes, the house suffers for it, but *I don't care anymore*).

How long have you been working with your allergies? Is it recent? That's a demoralizing time. It was so hard for me to find anything to eat. I've managed, but it sounds like your diet is more restricted, which is partly why I ask. Over the years, I've been able to add back foods that bothered me, and completely abandoned other foods which seemed to get worse after all my restrictions.

You will feel healthier with your diet once you are able to start exercising again (white flour isn't the end of the world) hopefully creating meals for yourself, even if it's what your kids are eating. You'll feel better once you can embrace "good enough" healthy eating. Don't sweat it. First find foods you enjoy eating.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#3 of 5 Old 12-12-2016, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much for responding. I SO appreciate what you wrote! I just turned 35 last month and I know my metabolism shifted, the way I felt it at 30.

I've had the majority of my allergies since I was 19-20 or so...I was sick for a while and spent months and months on and off antibiotics bc my doc at the time stunk. I just know it wiped out my immune system. But at the time we had no clue. I never made the connection until a few years ago.

I recently started acupuncture for other reasons, but as a result I have been feeling a lot better in terms of energy level and my ability to cope with things.

But my weight status is really on my mind. I've been making a conscious effort to eat better. After I wrote this post I decided it's time to make a change. I'm so used to being pregnant and nursing and being ravished if I didn't eat a lot, that I forgot how a regular person is supposed to eat. During those times though, I burned the calories too! But now that I just weaned my 4th kiddo, and I'm feeling energized from acupuncture I declared to my husband-we are eating better!!!

I think writing this post was very cathartic, and hearing a response was even more so, so thank you for that!
I only wish this wasn't happening during holiday season when I know I will want to make poor food choices!!

#4 of 5 Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM

The only poor food choices you can make are eating way too much and then not correcting it the next day. This is the season of parties. Part of what makes weight loss or maintenance successful is to not make it too hard. For the most part, don't ban any food entirely. I know I looked forward to that little bit of ice cream every day! Parties, indulge a bit, and then have an austere day the next day to set things right.

Make little changes. Add a vegetable at one meal of the day. Don't overhaul the entire diet at once. Have a "reset" day regularly. Make a list of all the things you are able to eat.

As for allergies, when was the last time you challenged any of the foods you've reacted too? Assuming they aren't anaphylactic, after so long your reactions might have changed. I know many foods I became less sensitive to (mainly fruits) though a few I became more sensitive to (mainly hazelnuts and walnuts). Because I am allergic to so much, but not severely (for most), I know which foods I can have very small bits of. Sweet potato I have to watch (intolerance). Rice and almond I can tolerate occasionally now. Eggs (intolerance) can be baked into stuff, and I even had a little straight once without doubling over in pain. Garlic has crept back in, though it was really bad when I first eliminated all my allergens, and fruit has become a non-issue for the most part, with the occasional strawberry or grapes making my mouth hot.

My point is that, as much trouble as the cumulative load of allergens my body fought against caused, after a hiatus of a few years, adding some of them back as "occasionals" really helped my morale. I still have to avoid corn, oats, peanuts and other nuts. But so long as I am mindful (as I am with lactose) it feels really good to have more foods available to me, especially as a guest.

Good luck!

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#5 of 5 Old 12-13-2016, 10:10 AM

PS Here's a link to our weight support thread. It's ongoing, but it's been kind of slow recently. However! Join us anyway, and I might have an excuse to post more (I haven't because it winds up being a blog rather than a thread. )

Oct-Nov-Dec Weight Support Thread 2016

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page