Eczema Elimination Diet Questions - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 01-31-2017, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Eczema Elimination Diet Questions

My daughter has a moderate case of eczema. It started about two months ago. She is now 19 months and has it on her face, neck, torso (front and back), and right arm. I am pretty sure it is nummular eczema, which is supposedly pretty unusual in babies and children.

We moisturize twice a day with Avene Xeracalm. She gets a 10 minute lukewarm Epsom salt bath every night, followed by the Avene, and cotton pjs. Synthetic fabrics definitely exacerbate it.

In addition, I have started an elimination diet. We were vegan to begin with, so I have cut out soy, nuts, peanuts, gluten, corn, citrus, tomatoes and other nightshades, strawberries, and pineapples. So we are pretty limited, but we are hanging in there. She nurses constantly. She also gets a teaspoon of flax oil and coconut oil every morning.

The first 6 days we ate nothing but millet and peeled pears but I started feeling a little weak and faint when she would nurse so I added everything back except the above-mentioned foods. Unfortunately, tomorrow will be two weeks since we first started and I am not seeing much of an improvement in her symptoms. This last Saturday we were at a party and someone gave her a single orange slice, which she ate before I saw it. Other than that, we have been completely faithful to the elimination diet.

So... Should I continue for another week? Or longer? I have read that elimination diets can take up to 23 days. But wouldn't I be seeing at least a little improvement by now? Should I start over from the day she ate the orange slice? Or is it safe to assume this is entirely environmental and/or genetic?

Possibly helpful background info: she was born vaginally and had nothing but breastmilk till she was almost 10 months old. No vaccines. She never showed signs of food intolerance or other allergy symptoms until now. Her older brother couldn't tolerate soy, citrus, or tomatoes until he was about 2.5 (blood in stool from soy, rash from citrus and tomatoes) and I was sensitive to strawberries and pineapples as a baby (full body rash). I have had allergies to walnuts and pecans since about 12 years old, that are slowly getting more severe. I had stress-induced eczema as a pre-teen. Dad has no issues.

EBFing, CDing, co-sleeping, vax-free, vegan mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(8/13) and DD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(6/15), trying to convince DH to try for more! I must be crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-04-2017, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Eczema is so hard. It could be from internal sources, or external sources. How is her digestion? Normal? Any pain associated either with the eczema or her digestion? If she's not uncomfortable, if you want to continue finding a source, then maybe a single trigger one at a time might be more sustainable. Eczema can simply be a failure of the skin's barrier function, and might not involve a single source. (Maybe test a different moisturizer as well? Cocoa butter perhaps?)

If she's not noticeably uncomfortable, I would say to go with your gut on this, and you'll be fine. If it's less of a burden on you and your daughter, taking the long road would be just fine.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page