please share your eczema updates (July 2002) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-11-2002, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds had allergy testing today and he is highly allergic to

eggs, dairy, and corn.

I didn't think about the corn, but the eggs and dairy I already knew that (don't argue with a Momma bear!!---this directed at well meaning but condescending nurses at the ped's office)

Anyways, we got Rx for Elidel and Zyrtec for the eczema, but neither of these drugs are approved for under 2 yo and my ds is only 1. :

So, I think I will continue with what I have been doing as of late,

Elimination diet
daily water baths with A&D ointment slathers,
hydrocortisone only for those extreme areas (which have been far and few between lately!!! yay!)

DOn't forget eczema is:

The itch that rashes

Just because there's no rash, don't mean it don't itch. Just have to look at my ds with all his scratches, even though I am religious about his fingernail clipping and filing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-15-2002, 12:59 AM

Hi pumpkin seed! dd is the same as always, although we have not been using the medicines as much. Have you tried the elidel yet? It really made a huge difference for her. We have been doing soaking 20 minute baths, followed immediately by greasing her up with eucerin or aquaphor, and more recently vaseline and cetaphil cream ( I think I like the cetaphil cream the best) She has been getting hives though and we're not sure what is causing it. She just got a referral to a ped. allergist but we have to wait for an appt until they get back from vacation.

The itch that rashes, you sure are right. I just heard that one for the first time.

We have given her benadryl a few times a week when the itching is driving her crazy. It does seem to help, although I don't like to do it.

jtsmom
#3 of 8 Old 07-15-2002, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Jtsmom, please update us when your babe gets the allergy testing. I am very curious about it.
#4 of 8 Old 07-15-2002, 06:20 AM

Have any of you tried shea nut butter? Ds#3 had bad eczema when he was a yr. and I used that. It's available in health food stores and smells great. It's high in vit. e and something else and promotes healing.

I don;t like giving meds. to a baby.
#5 of 8 Old 07-16-2002, 03:28 AM

My naturopath just told me to get some shea butter - DS saw her today for a 6 mo visit, and I pointed out the 3 or 4 small rashy spots on his tummy that don't go away. She pointed out they were kinda flakey and looked like exzema (eczema? that looks right...). Anyway, he has a little patch in the fold of one ear.

I'm getting the shea butter tomorrow. She also told me to take flax seed oil, and mix 1/2 Tblspn into something for him. He just started eating solids yesterday (if you can call breastmilk diluted rice milk "solid"! ) - but he ate with gusto!

I need to research eczema more - so far it doesn't seem to bother him...
#6 of 8 Old 07-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Pom

We switched to cetaphil and use the Shikai borage cream and slather Aquaphor. Seemed to do the trick on all of it, but one spot keeps coming back -- probably because I let dd play in our apt building chlorine pool.

There are some great threads in the archives on this!
#7 of 8 Old 07-19-2002, 11:55 PM

My ds has eczema too...but I've never heard of Elidel? What is it and what does it do?

Michelle
#8 of 8 Old 07-20-2002, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Elidel is a cream that is used for short term and intermittent long term treatment of eczema.

It is not recommended for use under the age of two.

Just go to yahoo and do a search for elidel and you can get the entire product information..

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page