why so many breastfed babies w/eczema? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 08-03-2002, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep,
Petrolium Jelly is nasty toxic stuff!! Made of petrolium... like gasoline!
Shea Butter, as someone else mentioned is wonderful. So is zinc oxide. So is the Florasone cream I mentioned earlier. Calendula salve is also great.
Moisturizing can be good, but something like Petrolium may just prolong the problem.
#32 of 50 Old 08-03-2002, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
anybody ever try lanolin, like for your nipples. i've used it some on myown dry skin. just curious if it would help.

-beanma.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#33 of 50 Old 08-03-2002, 01:46 AM

the thing with the petroleum jelly:
A dermotologist we had told us it was about the only thing that a person can't be allergic to. Keep in mind these are his words, not mine. I hope some of you are finding alternatives that work. As for petroleum jelly being toxic, well, I have no idea. It isn't something I care to argue over. I was only stating what works for us. Take it or leave it.

banana.gif

#34 of 50 Old 08-03-2002, 03:14 AM

I used to use regular vaseline on my lips, around which I often get eczema. I heard bad stuff about petroleum jelly, so I tried using something named Unpetroleum Jelly, and it make the eczema much worse! So I don't know if there is anything bad about vaseline or not, but it worked much better for me.

I also had bad results with pure lanolin. I read somewhere that it is often irritating to certain people because it is a wool derivative.

The only thing that helped my severe eczema was acupuncture. As far as diet goes, my acupuncturist has always said no fried foods, no spicy foods, and limit sugar.

Everything I use must be fragrance free - detergents, soaps, lotions, etc. Curel Unscented works the best for me, better than health food brands. Aloe Vera lotion is irritating. Shea butter also works well.

Also, this is one of the main reasons I'm hesitant to vaccinate ds. I'm so paranoid of triggering a latent allergy. He is fine with everything we've tried so far, but the only dairy we've introduced is yogurt, and that wasn't until he was 14 months. Also exclusively breastfed. No eczema yet, but I didn't get it until I was 3 or so.
#35 of 50 Old 12-28-2002, 03:53 AM

greenluv, did anyone ever give you an answer about the difference between atopic derm. & eczema? I am trying to educate myself...

my 2 yr old son has atopic derm so bad- his little hands bleed, feet, the knees, the elbows, sometimes cheeks & once his scrotum so bad it was infected & needed bacu-ban! the doc gave us eledil (made him cry & only worked once, besides all kinds of weird side effects on the label), & cutivate, which works sometimes but isn't supposed to be used on 'thin skin' (which is everywhere on a baby! to my doc's credit, he doesn't encourage the use of these things indiscrimately; he seems pretty cautious.) elimination diet would be pretty tough, as he doesn't eat very much anyway (but i will try eggs for a start).

came here after jw's posts in the vax stuff about smallpox vax being contraindicated for autoimmune disorders like this, & she said there are posts relating to this- i'm having trouble finding much, sigh- my search criteria are prolly screwy but i am trying. if anyone knows anymore threads to point me to, please- i am getting desperate!

he's had no vax, & only breastmilk no formula, but his uncle had it really bad as a youngster too, so that's where he seems to be getting it from (of course i realize that a genetic predisposition does not exclude environmental causes.)

my poor baby! i will try to get him to take evening primrose- any wonderful ideas on how to get it (and selenium, etc.) in him? oatmeal? my poor lil' guy! he scratches so much.

lanolin & this calendula/lavender cream seem to ease it a bit, but no cures.

hope to hear from other sufferers/folks w/ answers, Suse
#36 of 50 Old 12-28-2002, 04:57 AM

Saffron had excema when she was just under a year old I s'pose. It was not bad, just red patches behind her knees, under her armpits & the odd spot on her cheeks. She also got quite colicky at nights sometimes. I was starting to get worried as Dad was a coeliac (sp?) I did a sort of elimination diet for me as she was primarily bf & had it tracked down, or so I thought, to chocolate, nuts, or wheat. It was starting to look like wheat. I took her to see a naturopath in a shop that does free consultations. She told me it was yeast. So basically she had an internal overrun of yeast. The yeast in bread I was eating was feeding it as was things like the sugars in dired fruits like figs I was giving her. Raisins are another no-no as grapes have some kind of yeast on their skin.

I cut out all yeast from my diet & sugar ( for a while ) I gave her a couple of tsp of hemp seed oil a day + a tsp of primadophilus powder. I got her into eating garlic as garlic kills yeast. So lots of hummus & roasted garlic for her. I cut out all dried fruit & most fresh fruit from her diet. Instead I concentrated on giving her lots of fresh veggies & the less sweet fruits like apples & blue berries. It's probably 99% gone these days.

Suse in answer to your question about selenium. I think it's one of those things you get in the soil so organically farmed veges have it in. Altho' not here as we have no selenium in the soil As far as I am aware, the richest natural source of selenium is brazil nuts. Like that's any help for someone with allergies or a toddler :
#37 of 50 Old 12-28-2002, 05:17 AM

All I've been able to come up with regarding atopic derm. vs. eczema is that they are terms used interchangeably by most dermatologists. My dd's atopic derm. just basically means that we have a family history of it.

We have tried so many things to get control of her outbreaks. Most recently we have used accupuncture, naturopathy, diet changes, and a new topical medication called Elidel-supposedly this stuff works for "everyone" but I am finding that it isn't the miracle cure all for us. At dd last Dr. appt the Dr. mentioned that dd is "stage 2" with the Atopic Dermititis. From what I gather, there are 3 stages, the last one being around puberty when most kids will stop the cycles of break outs. I've only seen this reference to the stages of atopic derm. in a couple of places online. I stumbled across them in my reading, so unfortunately I can't give you a site to point you to them.

Our Dr asked me why I hadn't been to a Dermotologist recently with dd. I told him that it was because of the desire of the last Dr we had been to to begin injections of high dose steroids. I was freaked, but I managed to keep my head and decline their use. No way am I about to expose dd to the horrible effects of those drugs. The amount of damage they can do is frightening. I'm not sure how much help I've been in writing this since we still haven't found anything that makes this any easier, I hope you can find something that works for your baby.

banana.gif

#38 of 50 Old 12-28-2002, 10:49 PM

Hi All,

It's been a while since I chimed in, but wanted to give an update . . .

We had ds allergy tested (skin prick) and he tested positive for wheat, corn, banana and peanut allergies. On top of BOTH of us avoiding these 4 things, when we also avoid ALL gluten, soy, and dairy, his skin is finally beautiful. I would encourage those of you in the searching phase to seriously look at food allergies and give the elimination diet a try. It's tough for sure, 'cause all the gluten-free products have either corn or soy, but it's worth it to finally see his beautiful, clear cheeks again!

On another note, watch out for the Elidel! It is an immune suppresor and it says in small print on the package: "Not for babies under 2 bc the effects on the developing immune system are unknown." (do a search for Elidel -- I posted a rant about it a few months back) Ds got his one and only ear infection after we tried it for 3 days . . . THEN I read the side effects. STUPID ME!

I'm happy to provide support for the elimination diet if anyone wants to PM me.
#39 of 50 Old 12-28-2002, 11:15 PM

breathe--

great success! congratulations!

One friend of mine has 2 allergic daughters. Her dh, it is surprising he has survivied to reproduce, he is so allergic. He has a latex sensitivity. (rules out condoms and diaphragms)

the younger daughter has a sensitivity/allergy to 140 foods. both daughters have had to have rotten baby teeth pulled. They both have had eczema.

Anyway, the kids can't stand any artificial fabrics, only cotton. Make sure the bedding is 100% cotton, as well as the clothes of anyone who holds them regularly. No rugs, no pets, no stuffed animals, no curtains in the bedroom.

I am glad most of you struggling with alleriges don't vax. My friend's research told her allergic babies are more prone to getting the dreaded autism from vaxes. Horrible!
#40 of 50 Old 12-29-2002, 03:04 AM

You might want to look into NAET. It is a non evasive non medication treatment for allergies and allergy side effects. My son did not have eczema but was scheduled to have his tonsils and adnoids removed due to apnea (cause - allergies). After 1 1/2 months of treatment his apnea was gone and tonsils decreased in size. Drs. are puzzled (but not interested in looking into this alternative). Eczema, Lupus ect are all immune issues and as you know related to allergies - Good luck.
#41 of 50 Old 12-29-2002, 07:05 PM

This is really interesting, especially that last bit about the kids growing up around cows. I grew up on a farm with cow, horses, pigs, cats, dogs, rabbits, and chickens. My parents have always had a woodstove for heat, and always had animals in the house. So it seems to me, having been around the molds and dirt in the wood, the pet dander, and the dust and ash from the stove that I would be very likely to have some sort of allergy. I do not, and neither do my three brothers. In fact, we are some of the healthiest people I know. We are rarely sick, and when we do get sick, we usually throw it off very quickly.

I think there is something to exposure early in life to many different kinds of "dirt" that helps the immune system become more efficient at doing its job throughout life. I don't really know though, just my .02 worth! Margaret
#42 of 50 Old 12-30-2002, 05:37 AM

I didn't have time to read all the posts, but I wanted to post what helps my son...

~ very limited cow's milk & sugar

~ Cetaphil lotion a few times a week, right after the bath

~ prevention is way easier than treating it!!
#43 of 50 Old 01-18-2003, 01:41 AM

just wanted to post what's current... gotta schedule a 2 yr visit for sam soon, and i am going to ask about a) triceram cream, & b) allergy testing. poor old sam's never been vaxxed, and only had a blood test once; he won't like getting pricked!
as little as sam eats, i would really prefer to find out what he's allergic too rather than just start eliminating stuff- i'm of the persuasion that believes in a lot of variety in diet is best (lol, at least if you get something toxic, you won't get too much of it- my theory. heck, organic spinach-for example- is just full of toxins!)

we've had good luck lately with frequent warm no-soap baths, & just slathering him afterwards w/ a borage-based oil (alternating with eucerin). he's not clear yet, but it seems to help the itching.

wish us luck at the dr's, suse

ps bought some flax seed oil liquid to add to his oatmeal or whatever; i've been downing a lot of the efa thingys via evening primrose, fish, grapeseed oils etc, but i want to try it directly rather than just thru breastmilk. anybody have ideas of what to put it in to disguise taste/greasiness?
#44 of 50 Old 01-18-2003, 03:00 PM

I've had good luck mixing flax oil into a fruit smoothie, especially one that's thick (use a couple of bananas), mixing into a salad dressing, and putting it into soup just before serving. I've heard some people say that they mix it with yogurt, although I've never tried that one. Good luck!
#45 of 50 Old 01-19-2003, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I did, however, get all the stupid vaccinations though. It would be interesting to take a poll among the members regarding those who vaccinated and those who didn't and whose baby developed asthma/allergies/eczema and whose did not.
Okay, for the record! I have exzcema and allergies to dairy and eggs....I am vaccinated but my mom fed me cow's milk by 6 wks.

NONE of my 3 kids have exczema and they have ALL have been vaccinated. They were also all bf for at least 3 mos each...until I went back to work. None of my kids have any allergies and eat all the milk and eggs they want (ice cream for dessert, eggs in home-made cookies) while I stick to my non egg and dairy diet.

So there is no correlation here against vaccines, only that they had no dairy or egg through bf becaue I already was eliminating it.

Currently my dd is being bf past the 3 mos mark! Yay! I have a whole year off of work this time
#46 of 50 Old 01-19-2003, 01:24 AM

My ds had eczema (severe, I might add) before he was vaccinated.
#47 of 50 Old 01-19-2003, 01:36 AM

One idea I have heard as an explaination to this is that we are deficient in Omega 3's and have chronic exposure to antibiotics in our food supply. It weakens the system and the skin is an organ that expresses its lack of health via rashes and exzema etc.
Just some food for thought.
K

PS I would like to blame it all on vax but that is just not so.
#48 of 50 Old 01-19-2003, 01:40 AM

I'd like to hear about the antibiotics in food..is it mostly meat and dairy? I'd like to avoid them as much as possible by buying meat from animals that don't get brought up on antibiotics, but are there other foods with exposure to antibiotics?

I found this wonderful flax seed drink as a milk replacement for my kids for getting more Omega 3's into the diet! It's made by "so-good".
#49 of 50 Old 08-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Well... I am equally frustrated! My son has not had any vaccines, gets adjusted regularly and I am breastfeeding him. I am avoiding lemon, orange, tomato as possible culprits.... but if I stop eating everything else.... what is there to eat?  

Any ideas of what should I eat.... if Milk, eggs, corn, wheat, and soy are possible allergens..... :( 

#50 of 50 Old 08-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

If you have leaky gut, which causes improperly digested proteins and food particles to leak  into your blood stream, that will get into your milk. Therefore, your baby will suffer. On top of that, if you have leaky gut and and an too many pathogens in your gut, your baby will have inherited that through the birth canal at birth, and therefore be predisposed to leaky gut and gut dysbiosis. Breastfeeding will  alleviate some of the problems because breast milk contains probiotics, but it doesnt eradicate the problem.

If however, you do  not have leaky gut, then the food substances wont pass into your blood stream. Likewise, your baby  will probably have inherited a healthier gut flora from you at birth.

Look up 'GAPS', or Dr Natasha Campbell Macbride, who wrote about this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page