Banana Allergy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-11-2002, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know whether specific food allergies tend to run in families? I have a 4-month-old daughter, and I'll be introducing solids in a few months. One of the foods suggested to me as a good first food is bananas, but I'm allergic to them (they can send me into anaphylactic (sp?) shock.) Should I be worried about DD having the same allergy? Bananas are so good for you. I'd hate for her to miss out on them, too. Oh, and I'm also allergic to underripe mango and all forms of melon, so there's a lot that she could be allergic to if these allergies are inherited.
#2 of 4 Old 08-11-2002, 10:47 AM

I've wondered about that too since DH is allergic to bananas. I've heard that specific food allergies don't usually run in families, but since that's the only one either of us has, I'm going to try to stay away from them for a while. It's a pain not eating bananas right now while I'm pregnant, since I've always eaten them before, but people with banana allergies can also have latex allergies, and that scares me.

Are you allergic to any of the foods with the same protein as bananas? I know kiwis and pistachios fit this category, and others may too. DH is definitely allergic to pistachios, but he's never had enough kiwi to be sure, and I don't let him eat them.

I'm not due with my first until February, but I think I'm going to try to wait at least a year before I introduce bananas. (I'm also going to abstain from them while I nurse.) It will be a pain, but having a DH allergic to bananas is a drag too. Bananas aren't as present as dairy products, peanuts, soy, etc., but they are in a lot of yummy deserts.
#3 of 4 Old 09-04-2002, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

I discussed this with my pediatrician, and she recommended that I go see an allergist, which I'm doing on Friday. She also told me to be sure and get a prescription for an Epi-Pen, which is a device with a spring-loaded needle that delivers epinephrine in order to delay anaphylactic shock. It basically gives you 15 minutes until the EMTs get to you. AND I'm supposed to get one of those medical ID bracelets that says, "Food Allergy - Epi-Pen in Purse." Who knew it was such a big deal?
#4 of 4 Old 09-04-2002, 09:15 AM

Do not feed your daughter bananas until she is at least 3 years old. My husband is allergic to bananas (mildly) and the allergist said we should delay giving the kids bananas or anything with bananas in them for a minimum of three years since it *can* be passed on to them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page