Mamas w/food allergic children - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 178 Old 11-04-2004, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are right ShannonCC. That makes perfect sense. I think I just got overwhelmed before I had the chance to think it through. I definately will try that.

How did everyone make out w/Halloween & allergies/intolerances? My kids are pretty young, so I was able to get away w/just allowing them a couple treats, then ditching (or me eating ) the rest. I loved the earlier poster's idea about the candy witch. By next year I'll probably need to ty that.

max

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#62 of 178 Old 11-04-2004, 04:39 PM

The treat witch was a huge hit. He got an excavator, which he had been wanting so badly. There was one treat I allowed him to have because it had none of the offending allergens, and he was perfectly happy with the way things worked out.
#63 of 178 Old 11-04-2004, 05:05 PM

Thankfully my dd only has problems with soy and yellow dye so Halloween isn't so hard for us. Anything yellow, orange or green she couldn't eat. Anything with soy she couldn't eat (thank goodness soy lecithin is not a problem for her). Anything that didn't list ingredients she couldn't eat. That actually left a large number of things she could eat. Too large, :LOL So, like last year, we invited family over so the kids could share their loot and it was all gone that night
#64 of 178 Old 11-04-2004, 06:46 PM

It was hard, ds can't have any of it because it either contains corn syrup, dairy, chocolate or dyes . I made the mistake of letting him have a few pieces and he was so awful to be around, arguementative, off the walls etc. Next year we are skipping halloween or doing the treat witch!
#65 of 178 Old 11-04-2004, 10:34 PM

I'm with Pilesoflaundry- pretty much everything contains corn syrup, chocolate, or dairy. We didn't do trick-or-treat b/c we live out in the boonies. On halloween we had a little party, but he was exhausted so slept through most of it. This saturday Holly (my 8 year old sis) is having her big halloween party with her friends. Meaning lots and lots of candy. So what I did was get one of those pumpkin basket things and filled it with things he can have- this really cute halloween flashlight I got on clearance on monday, a little book, and I'll be making some crackers for him too. When all the other kids are getting their baskets with candy he'll get his (and he already saw the flashlight and LOVES it so I don't see any problems with him and this situation for this year). I'm hoping he outgrows his allergies before next year. I'm not sure what I'll do if he doesn't since he'll be older and more likely to notice he's got different things.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#66 of 178 Old 11-04-2004, 10:43 PM

How is everyone doing the holidays? We had a hard time with the Halloween parties with Bran and I being gluten free. Noone serves much that is g/f... I'm getting kinda worried about holiday get-togethers...especially those little parties that Bran's playgroups may have... It's just awful telling him he can't have something, especially when it looks like something he gets at home...(like when there are hamburgers, but the hostess puts a bun on it, etc.)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#67 of 178 Old 11-05-2004, 05:02 AM

Hello all,

I've been reading through this thread with great interest. I haven't been to MDC for many months, but decided to come looking for help with my daughter's allergies and candidiasis. We have dealt with "allergies" - really sensitivities, since she was 3 months old (she's now 2 & 4 mos.). A couple months ago I would have told you she couldn't eat dairy, soy, corn, eggs, wheat, and chocolate. Then things were getting worse - even with our very limited diet, and I found out she has candidiasis (systemic yeast). A new one to tackle.

We started the candida diet (not much different than before except NO sugar in ANY form - one fruit per day). After 2 weeks of both of us being very irritable, things started to change for her - behaviorally. She opened up and is far more interactive in places like dance class or music class, etc. She has more energy.

I am learning about using enzymes to help with food intolerances instead of eliminating them completely from the diet. Am just beginning to try this with her -- so far she has had the first "normal" stools of her life. Good sign I guess.

Sorry for the long post! It just feels so good to find others working with the same issues! Some good info here, thanks.
#68 of 178 Old 11-05-2004, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

AllyRae, I'm concerned about the holidays as well. I am fine w/packing ds's food, I do that for the most part anyway because he is so particular, but I hate saying no to him constantly. He is just starting to branch out & try new foods, now I have to hamper him if they contain dairy. I know it is for his own good, but I feel so bad! Especially if it is something fun, like cupcakes that the other kids are having. I do bring our own if I know ahead of time, but it's just not as fun for the little guy. Any survival strategies?

max

#69 of 178 Old 11-05-2004, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ive got it easy this winter. DD is only 4 1/2 months, so anything she's getting, it's through me. DH is going to talk to him mom about me hosting Christmas Eve dinner because of DS's bedtime anyway. We usually don't get to their house until 5pm, and they don't want us to leave until midnight or so... you can imagine what a 2 year old is like under those circumstances. Last year it ruined him for Christmas Day, which *really* sucked for my family. Anyway, I'll probably be doing all the cooking! DH & I have agreed that we won't start her on solids until after the holidays. I hope we've gotten to the bottom of whats causing the excema by then.

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#70 of 178 Old 11-05-2004, 03:10 PM

For halloween, we only went to my mom and she had made a bag full of little things that DD1 could have. My mom takes great care of making sure that we can eat treats without dairy. It was hard for me because in the past few yrs, dh and me used to buy a box of chocolate bars and a few more junkfood. We used to share it but not this yr. We only have chips. lol

For the holidays, well, we aren't going anywhere. My mom will have x-mas dinner and she does things without dairy. For example, I love mash patatoes, used to put milk in but now she uses the gravy/liquid from the turkey. it's even better. My in laws also watch what they do. They ask me if they aren't sure.

I can't complain about our families. They do check with us what dd1 and I can eat.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#71 of 178 Old 11-06-2004, 01:00 PM

Hi all, saw the discussion regarding the holidays and thought I'd chime in too. We've been dealing with this for 3 years and it DOES get easier in many ways. For one, you get used to using substitutions and we have developed or found some great recipes.

Halloween for us... We do trick or treat mostly for the fun of dressing up and having fun with friends. DD is ana to milk/peanut/egg and sesame allergic so as you can imagine most candy is pretty well out... DD collects candy but is not allowed to reach into the bag or take candy directly from anyone. When they return home she hands in the bag and gets a halloween pumpkin bucket filled with the few safe candies we have (dum-dums and smarties and little boxes of raisins and snack size bag of teddy grahams...skittles would be okay too, but I think she's too young for those yet,) and stickers, small halloween themed toys or arts and crafts supplies (this year I found puffy pumpkin stickers, and really cute Halloween finger puppets...last year pumpkin straw cups and a beanie baby went in.) Last year we did cut-out pumpkin shaped safe cookies for a halloween project and this year just cut and glue pumpkins and ghosts to hang on the windows. My Dh takes all the candy collected straight to work the next day. (0h...and of course we take our epi-pen with us jik).

For Thanksgiving and Christmas we do a combo of safe for everyone foods and some that dd can't have but we try and make a safe version of. Thankfully we don't deal with airborne reactions (well for peanut we do...but we never have nuts.) DD and I make safe (and delicious) cookies and treats. This year I'm going to try my hand at making chocolate lollipops with dark chocolate (scharfenberger...expensive but safe.) We are a foodie family, so I do want to include food traditions even if they are ones we make up! We do try and stay away from having everything be about food though.

DD is at an age where she definitely knows that she is allergic ...that she can't eat everything that others can. She is really great about checking with mom or dad, too. She does feel bad sometimes but we try and maintain a positive outlook...acknowledging that EVERYONE has a challenge in life...that this is just hers and that we all need to work to keep her healthy and safe but that it doesn't mean she is deprived or that we can't have fun! Cutting out foods can be challenging at first, especially if you have family or friends that are less than understanding...but that is the time to strengthen your backbone! We have plenty of safe foods to eat...even without milk, eggs, nuts, seeds, fish... Our diets are healthier too.

Oh, I have a few friends I trust to prepare safe foods...and they all have my cupcake recipe and try and use it! Or I offer to make safe foods for everyone...

HTH

Chandra,
#72 of 178 Old 11-07-2004, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know of any good children's books about understanding allergies? Ds is almost 5 and I'd like to read him some books to help him understand better, and to know that he is not alone in this. I saw a title for a video called, "Alexander the Elephant Who Couldn't Eat Peanuts", but haven't been able to find it. Something like this sounds perfect.

TIA, max

#73 of 178 Old 11-07-2004, 08:10 PM

The video used to be for sale at www.foodallergy.net - don't know if it still is...will check..
K
#74 of 178 Old 11-08-2004, 01:11 PM

Did you check Amazon?? you can probably get a copy there...
Chandra
#75 of 178 Old 11-08-2004, 02:54 PM

Hi everyone! My ds Zachary has MANY food allergies AND Eosinphilic Esophagitis (he has white blood cells (EOS) in his esophagus and stomach that was attacking the food he was eating causing him not to gain weight). I am still nursing him, per Dr's request (Ok that is just the line I use when people ask, though it is true, but take away his num-num's? Not a chance!) so we are both on a strict elimination diet.

For information on video's check out this site http://www.foodallergy.org/

If you have a child that is Anaphylatic (Zachary is) I HIGHLY recommend getting a medic alert bracelet. I got Zach one from Medicalert.org it was $35 that included a year membership, the bracelet, 24x7x365 coverage. They have all of his medical information and what meds he takes so should something happen to DH or I, that number can be called and they will know his history.

Holiday's ~ Wow this is our first year, as both ds and I are on the diet, we are making our own food and bringing with. For Margarine/Butter, we use Fleishman's Light in the tub, blue lid, dairy free, soy free, corn based. When we could have soy, we used their unsalted sticks as they are dairy free.

Check out Miss Robens for food. I just placed an order their and everyone has raved about them. For Zach's b-day I made the Arrowhead Mills Brand Brownies which are GFCFDF, etc and they were awesome. Check out Enjoylifefoods.com also, their food is free of all the common allergens + more.

If you want to know more about us, click on the link in our signature. We will be trialing wheat shortly, but as Zachary got a hold of a donut, we are dealing with egg reaction still.

HTH
#76 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 12:16 PM

Hi everyone, I keep forgetting this thread is now here instead of in FYT and I get lost looking for it :LOL.

We have another allergy, my dd reacted to jarred spagetti sauce. I'm going to make homeade sauce and trial her again to make sure it's the tomatoes not just something in the sauce. She had a diaper rash and red, almost burnt looking hands after eating it. I was hoping the baby wouldn't have any allergies like the older 2 but I guess I'm not so lucky. Sadly she reacts to acidy foods/veggies and some fruits, things she loves.

She has bad allergic shiners and cradle cap I think I need to get her rast tested. I'm starting to wonder if she is dairy intolerant like the other two... I have to add water to her milk otherwise she can't digest it and gets horrible gas and bm issues. If I only give her 2 cups a day and add a little water to it she is ok, still sometimes gassy though at night.

I hope I don't have to switch peds but I may have to, he doesn't believe in subtle allergy symptoms, if it's not hives or anaphalectic he says it can't be alleries. I am going to leave him a message and see if he calls me back about all 3 kids getting rast tested. I have figured out some of the triggers for all of them but Daria (she's 2.5) is still having some bm issues so I think we are missing something.
#77 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 01:13 PM

Another visit to the ND yesterday. I'm supposed to continue on the elimination diet as I have, with no extra foods taken out. She says if gluten was a major part of it we probably would have noticed *some* difference in it, with just having removed wheat. (I've eliminated wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, corn & citrus) Instead, she's going to send me some homeopathics next week. If after 2 rounds of of that, she hasn't improved, then I'm supposed to put hydrocortizone *just* on her face, and we'll continue on with the diet & homeopathics. After 2 weeks on the homeopathics, we're going in to see the ND & we'll decide if we want to do some allergy testing (similar to kinesiology?) I really, really, really hope the homeopathics help!! SHe's so itchy she isn't sleeping well & she just looks so sore.

#78 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 03:14 PM

I was always told not to use hydrocortizone on the face because it can cause pigment changes, it did that to my dd's legs. Also if diet changes aren't helping it could be environmental and a few cases of eczema have no known cause. What kind of soap do you use to wash her? I would avoid any soap at all for a week or so and see if that helps clear it up, dove unscented is the only thing I can use on my toddler and even then only on her face, hands and bum unless her arms and legs need the soap.

Do you have pets? Are you taking any vitamin supplements that might have hidden ingredients, corn is in everything!! I hope you figure it out soon, poor baby!! s
#79 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 04:18 PM

The reason we might end up putting it on her face is because her excema is so bad it might cause permanent scarring. We've done the soap thing... for laundry I use a sparing amount of Ivory Snow & do a second rinse with a 1/2 cup of vinegar. For baths I use Dove Baby (a squirt the size of a dime for her whole body) then I rinse her thoroughly with the sprayer, about every 3 days. If I leave her any longer she gets funky cheese in her creases, and then gets red, cracks & bleeds. We've been using olive oil to moisturize, and I squirt breastmilk on her cheeks a few times a day & rub it in.

We have a cat, but shes strictly outdoors. Im taking fish oil & acidophilus, and giving her acidophlus. I'm starting a multivitamin & I'll make sure it doesn't have corn before I do. Hmmmm... does baby Tylenol have corn in it? I've given that to her a few times for teething & didn't even think to check it out!... off to do that...

Thanks, I hope we figure it out soon, too! She hates having socks on her hands all day!

#80 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 04:58 PM

HomebirthHarriett

My dd's allergies got pretty bad around the same age and it really helped to do some gut-healing supplements with her. I also gave her probiotics (acidophilus, etc) - just mixed it with a little water and dropped it in her mouth. I took the supplements and probiotics as well to get them into breastmilk. You might ask your ND about Metagenics Inflamex and Sustain. That's what our ND had us on. It really worked wonders! (I'm using it again now as things have gotten bad again - candidiasis/leaky gut).

Seems once their little digestive tracts get so out of whack, they need more than just the offending foods removed - they need help healing.

Good luck!
#81 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 05:14 PM

I agree with Melissa's post and wanted to add:

You can use Aquaphor or calendula lotion on eczema -- it works well (you can get the former at any drug store, and calendula lotion at health food stores) with no side effects.

Also, you can try homeopathic remedies for teething -- you can buy Hyland's teething tables at most drug stores and health food stores --- again, it won't hurt an allergic kid (nothing in there to react to!).

Good luck -- ds was very itchy as a baby and it broke my heart.
#82 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 06:38 PM

baby tylenol does have corn syrup in it!!

I do give her homeopathic camilia for teething, but sometimes it doesn't quite do the trick (like if there are other things at play, like being overstimulated/ tired /etc) I guess it'll have to now! This is so frustrating! I'm doing all the food preparation from scratch, because it's just easier than reading labels, but I hadn't even considered this.

#83 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 07:16 PM

All infant and child fever and pain reducers have corn in them . Motrin has corn starch, tylenol corn syrup and advil has hidden corn- it's in the artifical flavors and something else I can't remember what but I'm in a yahoo group for kids with food allergies and it was mentioned there. Corn is literally in so many hidden forms and in so many things, some forms of vitamin c even have corn in them. BTW is she also skin reactive to corn? If so plain white vinegar is often made from grain, check your bottle. I know Heinz is made from corn.

It is very hard mama, I really hope I don't come off as know it all or anything, I tend to just think stream of conscience when I'm writing and trying to toss out ideas to help your little one. Her eczema sounds so awful, poor thing!! Aquaphor although a petroleum product really does work awesome, btw elidel has corn in it so don't let them prescribe that!! (I know you didn't mention it, I just wanted to give you the heads up ahead of time.)

My dd is allergic to chamomile but if your girlie isn't sometimes the hyland's tablets work or chamomile tea rubbed on the gums does too. She started sneezing and her eyes got all red and watery after a few sips of tea so I had to shelf that idea .
#84 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 07:48 PM

To find out if shes skin reactive to corn, would I just rub some on her? Heinz vinegar is what I've been using in the wash. So far corn is only one of the things we've eliminated, and I'm not sure if it's the culprit... but it's seeming more & more likely. She had a dose of Tylenol in the evening on Sunday & her face is really erupting today.

Don't worry about coming off as a know it all... information is what I need!

Heres a picture of her:
http://www3.telus.net/u2slow/kids/oc...4/00200020.JPG The cheek you can see most of is usually the better looking of the two.

#85 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 10:28 PM

Yes rub a bit of the vinegar on the inside of her wrist and keep checking for signs of reaction in the 24 hours after you rub some on her arm. If you see a hive or a bit of eczema than she is skin reactive. If you see no change then it's probably fine to keep using the vinegar in the wash since it gets extra rinsed out.

If her eczema is that bad it is definitly something, I hope you figure out what soon. She is beautiful!
#86 of 178 Old 11-09-2004, 11:00 PM

Argh. Just wrote up a post and lost it

HomebirthHarriett-
My first had excema that looked exactly like your daughter's, but on his arms and legs and bum. We did the supplement route and food elimination- did the same supplements as you and the zinc. Also tried different cream routes, Evening primrose oil directly on rash, aquaphor, a non-petroleum based ointment, calendula, florazone, eventually resorting to hydrocortisone and then Elidel. Nothing worked for us, although we had tons of testimony from other people that it worked for them. Eventually we had a skin test done, and found out ds is allergic to dust mites. When we treated the house and eliminated the allergen, he was rash free in about two weeks. It was almost unbelieveable. He will break out now only when we go away and the house is less dust mite proof. I would highly, highly recommend getting your daughter tested for inhalent allergies as well because it is just as likely that one of them is the culprit as a food allergy.
Best of luck!
Kaly
#87 of 178 Old 11-11-2004, 07:22 PM

HomebirthHarriett- I have sentitive skin and I use Allenbury soap.It's a soft soap, good for senstitivity. The Dove soap doesn't work for my skin. I recommended it to a friend and her eczema was better and going away. It is sometime hard to find it but i have seen it at drugs stores and even at Walmart. i hope it get better.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#88 of 178 Old 11-11-2004, 08:20 PM

Kaly-- Actually, we just had our furnace & ducts cleaned & bought an electronic filter for the furnace. We have hardwood floors, not carpets, so the only places that dustmites could be in our house are in our bedding.... right? (which of course gets washed regularly)

We *do* have a down duvet & pillows... maybe feathers are a part of the problem. I could borrow some of my moms spare bedding for a few weeks & see if that makes a difference. Oh! I also use a feather pillow when nursing, too!

Allenbury soap is sold at London Drugs... DH used to use it. I'll pick some up & give it a try.

You guys are giving me alot of good ideas! Thanks!

#89 of 178 Old 11-12-2004, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebirthHarriett
Kaly-- Actually, we just had our furnace & ducts cleaned & bought an electronic filter for the furnace. We have hardwood floors, not carpets, so the only places that dustmites could be in our house are in our bedding.... right? (which of course gets washed regularly)

The allergen is the dust mite poop- which does not get washed out. (Gross, I know.)
Also, it collects in pillows, mattresses and duvets. Unless those things are covered in a barrier against dust mites and their poo, then one would still get a ton of allergen even with really frequent washing.

But, my point is a bit more general- just don't rule out inhalent allergies as a cause- mold, mildew, pollen, animal dander any chemical agent, etc. I don't mean to sound pushy- I just so wished someone had told me that inhalents could be a cause of ezcema- I was so convinced it was a food thing, and if I'd just known then I could have saved ds from a fair amount of suffering
Kaly
#90 of 178 Old 11-12-2004, 03:24 PM

HomeBirth Harriet--Your dd's face looks so much like my ds2's at three months. From there, it spread everywhere. It was oozy and blistery and he scratched all the time. It cleared up only after I had completely eliminated all his allergens, including even the smallest traces. None of his turned out to be environmental--it was all food. Corn is sooo hard--it's hidden in everything: baking powder, meds (as you've discovered. We usually get ours compounded), table salt, bleached white sugar, bleached white flour. We just stopped using most processed foods; it's healthier anyway. Hmmm...seems to me I remember something about infant tylenol containing soy, too. Apples were bad; even now (he's two), I can't eat even a few bites of applesauce. Avocados, bananas...foods I wouldn't have thought to eliminate. We're dealing with: dairy, soy, egg, corn, peanut, treenut, wheat, bananas and avocados and latex, mustard, sesame, coconut, barley, buckwheat, most fruit (except blueberries), and many veggies.

Soap--when he's broken out, we don't use any. It's too irritating and it's not really necessary. I usually use a Trader Joe's brand for myself and haven't had any problems. I also switched to a crystal deoderant, to be safe. Couldn't identify the chemicals in my old one.

Just trying to brainstorm for you because I remember how hard it was to see my little one hurting like that. It was exactly two years ago, too. That first holiday season was so hard because I was trying to get used to this weird diet and didn't yet know how to make anything edible, I was surrounded by all this yummy food and couldn't eat any of it and my baby was so sick and so itchy because 1. we hadn't figured everything out yet (the turkey's injected with WHAT?! ), 2. it takes weeks for all the proteins to pass through first my system, then his, and 3. he just needed time to heal. So now, approaching our third holiday with this new lifestyle, it's easier. I still have cravings, but I've found some decent alternatives and my baby is so healthy now. His skin is beautiful and clear. He will still break out with even the smallest exposure, though, so I know my efforts are worth it.

Missy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page