Mamas w/food allergic children - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 178 Old 01-09-2005, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has everybody seen this thread?
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...2&goto=newpost
It would be great to see a subforum for allergies on MDC.
Kathryn
#122 of 178 Old 01-09-2005, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, I would find an allergies subforum so helpful! Is there a way we can lobby for one again? To be honest, MDC is the only discussion board I come to. I find it so helpful & supportive to my way of life. I tried POFAC, but had trouble navigating the site. It was just too confusing & I do not have a lot of computer time (and they refuse any alternative medicine info).

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#123 of 178 Old 01-09-2005, 03:23 PM

Howdy! Newbie here - I have not yet read all 7 pages of this thread, but I intend to read every word! We fit in here perfectly!

DD is severely allergic to milk, eggs, avocados, and bananas. Yes, I am one of those mothers walking around with an epi-pen! But you know, I completely understand the whole "intolerance, sensitivity" thing too that induces behavioral changes only, but not a clinical "allergy" so-to-speak. Personally, I refer to it all as "allergies." If you can't eat it, you can't eat it!

We also avoid wheat, corn, soy, fish, and all nuts.

I'll probably go into more detail after I finish reading the other posts. I will say this about us: we make everything from scratch. We simply can't eat out at restaurants (ok, I do eat at bar-b-q places and have meat only with no sauce.) We bring food with us everywhere we go. Since I am still nursing DD, I am on the same diet as her.

All of my research and change in eating has made our entire family healthier, although it was hard to let it all go - a bit at a time. I was a size 10/12 before pregnancy. Now I'm a size 4/6!

We will be TTC soon, and I'm curious about all of that. (Special diet and pregnancy) Also, we have a TOUGH time getting enough calcium. DD is scheduled for general anesthesia at the end of the month to have some fillings, and I'm wondering if that (lack of calcium) has anything to do with it. I always figured she'd get enough calcium from the breastmilk, but that's really her only source except for the occasional broccoli.

One other note (don't know if it's been mentioned). Having an epi pen to show people makes it much easier when I say "she's allergic" to a food. There are some foods we simply avoid and are on a sort of permanent rotation. Then there are the foods she is truly, severely allergic to. Anyway, nobody gives me grief about "THE FOOD LAW." What I say goes!

We have experience with several forms of allergy testing, but I'll go into that later after I've read the rest of the thread. Looking forward to getting to know y'all!
#124 of 178 Old 01-09-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim

We will be TTC soon, and I'm curious about all of that. (Special diet and pregnancy) Also, we have a TOUGH time getting enough calcium. DD is scheduled for general anesthesia at the end of the month to have some fillings, and I'm wondering if that (lack of calcium) has anything to do with it. I always figured she'd get enough calcium from the breastmilk, but that's really her only source except for the occasional broccoli.
Whole Foods sells a vegan calcium powder, the adult dose is 1 teaspoon per day mixed in food or a beverage. I asked and was told I can give my kids 1/4 teaspoon per day for the younger 2 and 1/2 for ds who is 6. They are all dairy allergic, 1 is also soy allergic so that is basically the only way for them to get enough calcium. Those kids calcium chews have chocolate and dairy in them also corn syrup which ds can't have. I mix it in any safe foods usually because all they drink is water so no way I can mix it and they not notice it.
#125 of 178 Old 01-10-2005, 03:12 AM

Wow - what great information on this thread! I now need to read the probiotics thread and some other stuff too!

Piles of Laundry - Thank you ever-so-much for that tidbit! I'm a fellow Texan! (Howdy!)

OK after reading everything - I have a few questions/comments/ideas. Here goes:

1 - Just FYI to anyone who didn't know, but many probiotics contain milk ingredients. I'm sure everyone already knows this, but thought I'd mention it!

2 - My severely allergic to milk DD can't even take homeopathic tablets because they are lactose based. Again - this is FYI for those doing homeopathy and milk elimination together. It took a while for me to "get" this!

3 - For those of you who did P/N testing - how traumatic was it for your kids? How old were your kids? How long did it take? I'm very interested in trying this out, but have not done it because I didn't want my 19 month old daughter to be stuck with a lot of needles. Details please! :

4 - Has anybody heard of a lectin intolerance in relation to leaky gut? I've read a bit about it from a nutritionist. Apparently this can cause allergic reactions but a person not be "truly" allergic to a food???

5 - I am considering doing the candida diet. I'd love to hear from some of you who did this. How did you determine that you wanted to do it in the first place? Was it difficult to do even though you had already eliminated those foods your kids were allergic to?

OK, that's it for now. Thanks ever-so-much!!
#126 of 178 Old 01-10-2005, 04:28 AM

Howdy! I'm not a native but I'm here for a little while :LOL. (dh is in the army)

Oh and I just double checked the container it's one tablespoon not teaspoon. So the kid dose would be 1/4 tablespoon. Just incase you didn't know make sure she gets vit. d also to absorb the calcium. I let the kids run around in the sun for a few minutes a day .
#127 of 178 Old 01-10-2005, 09:34 AM

...apparently you haven't been here long, but it looks like you're hitting the right points.

The issue of calcium is a tricky one. Low Vitamin D levels in the body make it very difficult to absorb calcium from food no matter how much is consumed. Dietary D is hard to get, as the most easily assimilated form is in animal fats. Even then the animals have to be "wild" in the sense that they get plenty of bugs in their diet and sun exposure.

Essentially the best, most bioactive form is sun exposure on our skin. The trick here is that, apparently, contrary to common knowledge we need exposure at midday when the light contains the most UVB-- the necessary wavelength for Vit. D creation in our skin.

Then there is the necessary cholesterol that must be in the skin as a building block for the Vit.D. Cholesterol itself is made of saturated fat (in the liver). Our modern fears of choleserol and fat and sun make all of this more difficult than you would think.

http://www.westonaprice.org/nutritio..._vitaminD.html

I've learned this because my son's nursing for 3 years and his astronomical growth (I'm 6'9" and my wife is 6'2") have drained my wife of essential minerals that her body needs for metabolism and made her borderline hypothyroidic. But with the all this info we are turning things around.

Although my son nurses right before sleep and many times during the day, he has teeth with no cavities. I've been conscious of the mineral issues ever since the beginning as I knew he would have a tremendous amount of bone growth (he tripled his weight in two years) so I had him eating occasional liver for the highly absorbable mineral content. (Only antibiotic and hormone free liver with some organic liver to cut down on toxins.) Because the liver stores minerals for the body's use, the form that they take is the closest to what we (mammals) use.

Another aspect of my son's teeth is the probiotic powder that he got starting the third day of his young life. My wife had a Csection due to the size of his head (nature's way of "selecting" out large bodies that need more food/nutrients for survival).

So she had to have antibiotics during the operation which impaired her flora and left my son's GI tract clean. I gave him powder on my fingertip when he nursed. Breastmilk is the absolutely best food for the bacteria. Just to note for you as you are concerned about dairy. Ethical Nutrients Acidophilus and Bifida and Jarrodophilus (both of which I culture as two different yogurts) are dairy free.

The benefit for teeth from these intestinal flora is that they inhance the IgA (immunoglobulin A) content of our saliva. This serves as an antibacterial agent in our mouths. The immune enhancing effects of probiotic bacteria are documented in links on the first page of "The Power of Probiotics."

If you need to use powder to colonize your daughter, give her bananas (they have soluble fiber) when she gets the powder as the bacteria will need food once they get active in her GI tract. Try to give the powder first thing in the AM before her digestive system gets active as they need to get past the digestive enzymes in the stomach to make their home in the small and large intestine. Giving her quite of bit of water (not tap because of the chlorine) at room temp when she gets the above will help dilute any stomach acids.

Ironically everything that I've learned has been on a need-to-know basis. Four years ago my wife's endless miscarriages due to bacterial vaginosis were going to leave us childless.
In retrospect I was on my way to a case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

The culprit?

Conventional meats loaded with antibiotics, hormones and the toxins of an animal's stress filled life. These meats are deadly poisons.

However, this is life-giving nutrition:

http://www.lasatergrasslandsbeef.com/

In addition, if possible, as you are correcting your daughters digestive system, try to introduce foods (certainly not quickly) that have different types of soluble fiber-- the "indigestible" sugars that we can't digest but our GI flora MUST have to survive and thrive. Beans, onions, peppers (organic only) and many other fruits and vegetables. In fact a smoothie of organic strawberries and organic bananas, papayas and mangos (not necessarily organic as they have low pesticide loads) would be a great drink to mix probiotics into. These are loaded with both types of fiber (insoluble and solube) as well as digestive enzymes and antioxidants. Avocados, as well,
have digestive enzymes.

Here's some basic fiber info:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?p...trient&dbid=59

Here's something that I don't think is in the Probio thread:

http://www.speedyvet.com/speedyvet/library.asp?page=19

Good luck,

Ray
#128 of 178 Old 01-10-2005, 10:38 PM

Hi Good Papa!

Wow, thank you so much for all of that wonderful information! I, like you, am learning on a need-to-know basis. I feel like every spare moment I am doing research! Why, oh WHY didn't I study THIS in college (back when I had the time) instead of Information Systems?!?! I am so glad to have found MDC and these threads! I wish I had found them sooner. Have been making due with Mercola.com and books, books, books!

You have made me feel like I am on the right track! We've been on pasture-fed, drug/pesticide free meats for about 4 months now. I recently obtained a copy of Nourishing Traditions, and it has been incredibly eye-opening! I especially like the instructions for bone broth, as that's a new source of calcium for us! (And what AWESOME chicken soup I made!) Interestingly enough, I ordered a beef liver from my meat source - just to try it out! It'll come with the rest of my meat later this month. I think I'll order more!

It's also interesting that you mentioned the antibiotics your wife had during the C-section. I also had IV antibiotics during delivery - preventative because I have MVP w/ regurgitation. I remember begging the doctor to give them AFTER the birth, but he refused saying that it would do me no good by then. I only thought about that LAST NIGHT! (so weird that I read you talking about it today!) All this time I had focused on the course of antibiotics I had when DD was two months old (for mastitis), thinking THAT was when her GI system got wrecked! (or could have been those nasty 2 months vax!)

OK, I hadn't focused on the Vit D at all! I'm sure she is deficient, as we spent some months in cold, rainy Oregon during her first winter. But we are supplementing with Cod Live Oil now. So interesting about that!

I'm on about page 6 of the probiotics thread. I see a lot of talk of yogurt-making! We can't do dairy, but I'll be checking into making lacto-fermented veggies. I have a head of cabbage in my fridge for just that! I'm sure I need to colonize my DD, but she is allergic to bananas (as you suggested to give along with the powders.) What's your second fruit choice?

Also, I've been giving DD probiotic powder mixed in her water cup, and she sips on it throughout the day. Is this effective? Does it die off as it sits in the water during the day?

So far, even though we've elimated many foods, started eating pasture-fed, organic meats, organic fruits & veggies (though not 100%), pro-biotic capsules, Quercitin, Cod Liver Oil, no soap in the bath....she still suffers!

At least we don't have those awful reactions like we used to - but her eczema drives her crazy with itchiness.

I'd better quit rambling on! Thanks for listening!

Edited to blabber on:

I've got a couple more questions for anyone who cares to reply....

1 - My DD is so severely allergic to cow's milk, that I have been completely afraid to try goat's milk. Anybody out there care to comment? btdt? I am thinking that if I could give her goat's milk, it would provide a means to some cultured milk products she could have. But I also read that people who are allergic to cow milk are 80% likely to be allergic to goat's milk.

2 - My DD has had 2 separate RAST tests, NAET, plus Electro-dermal screening. All show her NOT allergic to milk! And yet she will have a fast, severe reaction to even a small amount of milk or milk product. Anyone else have a similar experience? Anyone care to comment on this?
#129 of 178 Old 01-11-2005, 12:29 AM

My older ds definately has some kind of allergy or sensativity.
I remember when he was about 10 months he broke out in hives after eating green peas.
Then on and off over the years (he is 4 now) he will get this rash (sorta-like eczema) between his mouth and cheek.
He is also very moody and "hyper".
We eat pretty much all organic, low sugar, some meat, very moderate dairy, rarely any soy...
I notice that the "rash" gets inflamed after he eats citrus, anything w/ lemon or lime, vinegar dressings, and tamari.
I have tried elimination diets, eliminating soy, then wheat, then dairy, etc... it will clear up and just when I think it's been figured out, it comes back...
I do give him DHA, as well as probiotics (by jarrow), and some green foods and vitamin C...
We tried NAET. They said he was sensative to carbohydrates. We followed the method, but it didn't seem to work...
Any suggestions???
#130 of 178 Old 01-11-2005, 01:45 AM

I am very excited that I discovered kefir today. My 3 yo corn-allergic ds actually LIKES it!! He has ASD and some major sensory issues and is reluctant to try anything new. I have been wanting to get him taking probiotics of some kind but because all of them seem to contain corn products I have been at a loss for what to do. He won't eat home-made yogurt and store bought varieties contain corn starch. FYI it can be made at home as well, and apparently can be cultured with coconut milk instead of dairy (for you dairy allergic families).

Just thought I would pass that info along for anyone who is interested

#131 of 178 Old 01-11-2005, 10:43 AM

...your daughter's dental problems fit right in line with leaky gut issues, because of impaired mineral absorption:

http://www.health-n-energy.com/ARTIC...eakygutart.htm

Here's the excerpt:

"Leaky gut syndrome also creates a long list of mineral deficiencies because the various carrier proteins present in the gastrointestinal tract that are need to transport minerals to the blood are damaged by the inflammation process. For example, magnesium deficiency (low red blood cell magnesium) is quite a common finding in conditions like fibromyalgia despite a high magnesium intake through the diet and supplementation. If the carrier protein for magnesium is damaged, magnesium deficiency develops as the result of malabsorption. Muscle pain and spasms can occur as a result. Similarly, zinc deficiency due to malabsorption can result in hair loss or baldness as occurs in alopecia areata. Copper deficiency can occur in an identical way leading to high blood cholesterol levels and osteoarthritis. Further, bone problems develop as a result of the malabsorption of calcium, boron, silicon and manganese."

So focusing on her GI tract will take care of the rest. In the meantime, try using the dilute Hydrogen peroxide that you can buy as a brushing liquid. I pour peroxide over the head and stem of the brush to kill bacteria (studies have shown that toothbrushes in bathrooms pick up all types of nasty bugs including airborne E.coli. I wait and then pour more peroxide over the head-- it loads the brush with a little-- and then brush. This is a good antibacterial and the small amount of peroxide is harmless to children.

I noticed as well that your daughter is still quite young- under 2-- is she still nursing? Breastmilk is the BEST food for the bacteria. Put a little powder on your finger and get it into her mouth while she is nursing. I started my son on day 3 of his life.

What Probio powder are you using? I've found that even high quality refrigerated powders (expensive) can be useless as they are dead and don't pass my culturing test. We use Jarro and Ethical nutrients acidophilus and bifida:

http://www.jarrow.com/products.htm

Baby jarrow would be best but you probably should get adult for yourself.

As far as enzymes:

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...25,760,00.html

Notice that it actually mentions the benefits of bromelain (pinapple) in treating eczema.

Please keep the details coming ie, what were the "awful reactions" and how have they lessened?

Good luck,

Ray
#132 of 178 Old 01-11-2005, 04:41 PM

FreeRangeMama - how great you found something for your son! Also, I LOVE the idea of culturing coconut milk! I should definitely explore that!

GoodPapa - I'm just crying for my lack of information and what I have done (not done) to my baby!!!!

For probiotics, we *had* been using just whatever we bought at the HFS. Now, the ND put her on a brand of powder called Metagenics Ultra Flora Plus DF. She specifically wanted her to have the Bifidobacterium lactis (formerly known as B. infantis).

Strangely enough, I had purchased the Jarrow brand on my own after reading all the labels. It was the only one I could find that had that strain plus being dairy free. So I am taking the Jarrow brand, and DD is taking the Metagenics until it runs out. Then I'll switch her to the Jarrow brand as well.

And yes, my 19 month old DD is an avid breastfeeder, day and night. So I think she's probably getting the probiotics at a good time. She always nurses for a good hour or so in the mornings, and then we get up. I give her the probiotic at that time (in water) and she drinks that while I make breakfast.

I've been tinkering with the idea of night weaning - for her teeth. I've read up on all the arguments pro and con, but haven't "cross-processed" that with the leaky gut information. What's your take on it? For now, I am trying the book No Cry Sleep Solution, and it's been 2 days. She's responding well to getting our eating and sleeping schedules more collected, and has not responded poorly to me popping her off before she falls asleep.

You asked what awful reactions she used to have...she used to break out into hives, face red (like a tomato), itching, clawing at her diaper, screaming, no sleep, rolling around during her sleep all night long, screaming upon waking. As long as we keep foods eliminated - she's mostly okay.

OK, I'm off to read more about the enzymes. I used to take Bromelain for acne! I think I still have some in my stash!

Oh, one more question about leaky gut. I am obviously completely under-educated about it. I can do my best research in a book, as DD doesn't sleep much and that is my only chance to get online. Are there any books that you recommend to educate me? I own an old copy of The Yeast Connection and the Woman. It's been about 10 years since I read it. A million thanks again!!
#133 of 178 Old 01-12-2005, 06:28 AM

FRM,
Thanks for the kifer info. Does anybody know where to get kefir starter and how to cultivate with coconut milk?
Babe is trying to help me type, gotta run.
Kathryn
#134 of 178 Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 PM

Role of Intestinal Flora in the Development of Allergy
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/448473?src=search

Requires (a free) subscription to read.
#135 of 178 Old 01-12-2005, 09:22 PM

Kathryn, you might be able to find someone in Japan who will share among the many lists:
http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/resou...nd_kefir.shtml

Kefir making is very easy, you simply mix the grains with the "milk" and let it sit at room temp for 12-24 hours or more. Then store in frig.

I still think that using probiotics to culture different "milks" are beneficial... even if they do not get a firmer texture, like yogurt. Such as rice milk, I make probiotic rice milk for DS to drink frequently. Not sure about coconut milk though, as it doesn't have carbohydrates? I think the bacteria would need some to eat while they grow?

Maybe Goodpapa can chime in on this please...
#136 of 178 Old 01-12-2005, 11:06 PM

JaneS,
I apologize for my cluelessness in this area. What exactly do you do to culture the rice milk? Thank you.

Moneca
#137 of 178 Old 01-13-2005, 02:05 PM

Here is a link for making kefir with coconut milk

http://www.bodyecologydiet.com/pages...onutkefir.html

HTH

#138 of 178 Old 01-13-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmon
JaneS,
I apologize for my cluelessness in this area. What exactly do you do to culture the rice milk? Thank you.

Moneca
No need to apologize

I just do it the same as I make yogurt... heat to 180 degrees, cool to 110 degrees, add 1/4 tsp. of Baby Jarro or 1 cap of Nature's Way Reuteri per 6 oz. glass jar (sprinkling the powder very very lightly over the surface while stirring to dissolve it). And incubate 4 hours in my yogurt maker.
#139 of 178 Old 01-13-2005, 10:56 PM

JaneS,
Thank you !
#140 of 178 Old 01-14-2005, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the info. I will try to get some kifer grains... there was one person listed in Japan, but in a city I have never heard of. I will also make some rice milk and try putting the probiotics in that.
Kathryn
#141 of 178 Old 01-14-2005, 03:36 PM

JaneS - I'm looking for a completely dairy free way to do the rice milk. Would it work to use my storebought vanilla rice milk to make the yogurt with?

Thanks!
#142 of 178 Old 01-14-2005, 07:15 PM

It seems that most of the mamas on this thread have food allergies themselves or at least within their extended family. My dd is allergic to dairy/soy/wheat/eggs and we have no food allergies - even in the extended family. Since she has never had medication (except two days of eye gtts and two doses of infant tylenol) and has been breastfed we believe the vaccinations she received through six months are to blame. I was just wondering if there are any other mamas out there who have a babe with allergies, but none in the family/extended family. Please let me know if you might have the same situation. Also, we're going to use the homeopathic reversal as directed by our holistic pediatrician and am wondering if anyone else has used it. He said it would either do nothing or help dd. Just curious
#143 of 178 Old 01-14-2005, 11:41 PM

Neither dh nor I have any food allergies, although he has never cared for dairy products or eggs -- ds has been variously diagnosed as allergic/sensitive to those as well as wheat, oats and soy (among others). I think there are sensitivities in the extended family, but that's hard to tell -- for example, my Aunt Lil says that she and my dad have always reacted poorly to wheat. But nobody to my knowledge has the kind of severe reactions (swelling, throwing up, etc.) that ds has had.

My homeopath thought that my stressful pregnancy (witnessing Sep. 11, working in the city during its aftermath, etc.) had a lot to do with ds's allergies. Maybe. We did do a homeopathic remedy to reverse the effects of the DTaP vaccine, which did seem to do something (he hasn't been vaxed since the two month round, when he had a bad reaction).

Homeopathy did seem to work for ds. Then it didn't seem to be working so well anymore, and we saw a chiropractor, who put us on the "caveman diet" (all animal protein, fruits and vegs) ahd probiotics to heal his intestines, which helped a lot. He seems to be in pretty good shape these days, tolerating almost everything, although he does still seem to experience behavioral problems after eating dairy or soy.
#144 of 178 Old 01-15-2005, 02:35 AM

Our DD is allergic to dairy, eggs, avocados, and bananas. Probably nuts and soy too.

Anyway, I have zero allergies that I know of. DH has allergies to pollens, molds, and grasses, but not to any foods that we know of.

I believe DD's allergies were caused by 1 - Me having IV antibiotics on the delivery table and 2 - vaccines. (full set at 2 months, then a dtap and hib at 4 months).
#145 of 178 Old 01-15-2005, 09:52 AM

...the blame for your daughter's situation lies squarely with the present day monster called Modern Medicine. The Industrial Food complex runs a close second. They both have their functions but the price that comes with them is simply too high. It's outrageous to me that we have to research to find out the details of what our bodies need to thrive, but at least access to information has never been better.

I don't know of any specific books on leaky gut, but do a websearch and you'll find quite a few possibilities. Also, obviously, you can print up anything on a website.

I prefer the web for the quick ease of search possibilities based upon any hunch that comes to me. For instance, I was struck by your daughter's banana and avocado allergies. Why these two specifically out of all the possibilities. Well I found this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...y?OpenDocument

On the basis of the second link the full list seems to be "avocado, banana, chestnut, kiwifruit, passionfruit, plum, strawberry and tomato"

As far as supplementing with probiotics, the powder and breastmilk is definitely the way to go. In addition though, take a look at this. I'm not recommending the product their selling, just the fruits they mention.

I guess the "prune" (plum) in the following is not an option on the basis of the above link:

http://www.fruit-eze.com/education/journey/soluble.html

Although I add organic seaweed to our diet for the minerals, I was unaware that it is a good source of soluble fiber.

I don't know if your daughter tolerates beans well, but we are wild about black beans in this house. In addition to fiber, the color is an antioxidant called anthocyanin.

JaneS--- rice contains oligosaccharides, so the lactobacillus is definitely feeding when you culture. I wouldn't be concerned about the texture.

But coconut milk also has considerable soluble fiber, so it would be a good option as well.

Procreate, Lactate, Disseminate!

Ray

PS Pilgrim, I just reread one of your posts and realized I didn't know what MVP stood for. Now I do. I found this interesting about MVP and magnesium:

http://www.ctds.info/mvp1.html

The grassfed meats are definitely important for minerals, but there are other more concentrated sources for magnesium.:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/cc/magn.html

My wife had a magnesium deficiency from my son's gestation and nursing, now she eats pumpkinseed butter. You have mentioned that your daughter is sensitive to nuts but are seeds included in that? I'm not recommending your daughter eat the pumpkinkseed butter (or seeds for that matter), but that you should-- in order to supply both of you at the same time.

IMPORTANT-- young children have a hard time swallowing pumpkinseed butter. I learned this from experience with my own son. It took alot of fluids to finally get the bit that wouldn't go down. There was no obstruction to his breathing, but he freaked out and we'll never do it again.

As far as your daughters teeth are concerned magnesium is important for calcium absorption:

http://www.mgwater.com/calmagab.shtml

BTW, I DO have one book recommendation. It's "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis Balch. It's 700 pages for $25. Simply fantastic.
#146 of 178 Old 01-15-2005, 01:25 PM

Pilgrim and Melissa,
Thanks for writing back. I like knowing that I'm not the only one out there with this bizarre situation.
#147 of 178 Old 01-16-2005, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
JaneS - I'm looking for a completely dairy free way to do the rice milk. Would it work to use my storebought vanilla rice milk to make the yogurt with?

Thanks!
Absolutely...we use plain, but I don't see why vanilla wouldn't work

And now that I got Goodpapa's seal of approval, I'm even doubly sure :LOL
#148 of 178 Old 01-16-2005, 04:27 PM

My goodness Good Papa - you are an amazing (and generous) wealth of information! Thanks so much! I haven't yet read the articles, but will tonight when DD goes to sleep. She's trying to help me type at the moment! :LOL

JaneS - that is so great to know! As soon as I get some kefir grains, I'm going to try it! I'm going to post this question in the NT thread, but anybody here have any kefir grains they would be willing to mail me?
#149 of 178 Old 01-16-2005, 04:42 PM

Just to chime in re: kefir, I found the taste to be *blech*. I went back to my yogurt very happily. I so wanted it to work b/c I thought it would be easier to make, but really I was contantly trying to figure out how much time I should let it sit and whether to rinse or how to store, whether I had too many grains or not enough. Plus the taste. Your experience may be different though.

Also I wanted DS to have the bifidus factor especially b/c that seems to be the crux of young babies' digestive systems.
#150 of 178 Old 01-16-2005, 11:32 PM

JaneS - Thanks for that info. Actually, I typed out my message too fast and without thinking. You are right - I actually intend to try the yogurt, and I meant to say that instead of the kefir comment! I do eventually want to try some things with kefir too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page