Mamas w/food allergic children - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2005, 02:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good Papa - I have had some time to read over the links you so kindly posted. Yes, I actually knew about the possibility of the latex allergy, and in fact, I have her marked as "latex allergic" at all doctors/dentists. But I did not know about the other fruits and veggies. She eats tomatoes and strawberries all the time without any accute reaction. But I will be interested to see if I remove those from her diet if her eczema and stuffy nose will improve.

Also the link about MVP was interesting. I am asymptomatic and was told there was nothing to do for it, so I never bothered to research it before. I am on a good calcium/magnesium supplement now. I think I am interested in having another ecg, ultrasound, or whatever the heck they did to diagnose it in the first place. I really think it's not there anymore and I'd like to be able to refuse those antibiotics with confidence! (for the next baby)

Oh and yep, we like black beans here too. I've got my first NT beans sprouting at the moment. They should be ready to cook tomorrow.

And yes, I eat a lot of pumpkin seeds. I crave nuts, and this is one way to get my craving satisfied. Besides that, there aren't many good "travel foods" available, and seeds are a great one! I usually have a blend of raw pumpkin, sunflower, flax, and sesame seeds. I mix in some dried cranberries - yummy! I put them in a cup to "drink" because it's easier to handle the tiny seeds that way. But it's good to know that they have a really good benefit! (oh, and I'm going to try sprouting all of those seeds soon. I only have 2 mason jars at the moment.)

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll be ordering it shortly!

You are giving me confidence that I've been doing some things right! Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 AM

OK, I'm taking this thread hostage! :LOL

I just ordered the book that Good Papa recommended to me from Amazon (Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A Practical A-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs, and Food Supplements (Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 3rd ed) (Paperback). I paid $16.29.

I also ordered these books (in case anyone is interested)

1 "Dr. Jensen's Guide to Diet and Detoxification : Healthy Secrets from
Around the World"
Bernard Jensen; Paperback; $9.71

1 "Dr. Jensen's Juicing Therapy : Nature's Way to Better Health and a
Longer Life"
Bernard Jensen; Paperback; $10.17

1 "Dr. Jensen's Guide to Better Bowel Care: A Complete Program for Tissue
Cleansing Through Bowel Management"
Bernard Jensen; Paperback; $10.85

After my order was complete, I got a message saying that I can type in some email addresses to give a 10% discount to whoever orders the same book(s). Apparently, I will also receive some "credit towards future purchases."

ANYWAY, if anyone is interested, PM me your email address and I will give it to Amazon and they will email you the discount deal.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 PM

Did any of you mamas have docs tell you that your babes had reflux ( and poor wieght gain) and then found out it was all food allergies? What did you do? I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything I could be doing for dd. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2005, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmon
Did any of you mamas have docs tell you that your babes had reflux ( and poor wieght gain) and then found out it was all food allergies? What did you do? I just want to be sure I'm not missing anything I could be doing for dd. Thanks!
Dd was diagnosed with 'reflux' from her two week check-up. They said that her projectile vomiting and bloody stool were caused by a breastmilk allergy and a fissure (3 different pediatricians). One pediatrician tried to discuss weaning at 4 months. I went back one more time to see a different pediatrician, who started talking about reflux, anti-vomiting, and anti-diharea (sp?) medications. I found a referral for a naturopathic pediatrician and have never looked back. Probiotics, gluten free and diary free diet cleared up Dd's symptoms in 5 days.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:44 PM

!
Old 01-24-2005, 01:17 AM

Hi All! I am going to go back through and read all the previous posts, but just wanted to say hi. My ds, who is 4.5 mths old and is ebf, has lots of food sensitivities. I had posted on another thread regarding his sensitivies but didn't go too many replies. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=236441

Glad I found this one.

Christine - mama to my 4 boys
Old 01-24-2005, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bear
Hi All! I am going to go back through and read all the previous posts, but just wanted to say hi. My ds, who is 4.5 mths old and is ebf, has lots of food sensitivities. I had posted on another thread regarding his sensitivies but didn't go too many replies. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=236441

Glad I found this one.
Hi and welcome.

I think the concept of allergies, leaky gut and breastfeeding is a relatively new one that lactation consultants and other "professionals" do not necessarily know about. I really believe we in the trenches are forging new ground here.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Hi and welcome.

I think the concept of allergies, leaky gut and breastfeeding is a relatively new one that lactation consultants and other "professionals" do not necessarily know about. I really believe we in the trenches are forging new ground here.
Jane, ITA. Over the years I have spoken w/3 separate pediatricians, 2 speech therapists, an Occupational Therapist, and 2 special ed. teachers about ds's confusing behavioral & health picture. No one ever mentioned food allergies. I figured it out on my own, w/the help of Mothering Magazine & MDC of course . Now my son is functioning on an age appropriate level, is healthier & happier than he has ever been. (If I listened to the professionals, they would have him in special ed. preschool full-time and most likely on meds. for ADHD.) It just shocks me that it took 5 years (he is 5) for this to be figured out.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 01-25-2005, 01:31 AM

Wow Max... your message literally made me shiver... because I could see the same things for us.

I owe so very much to MDC. I will never ever look at health and disease the same way again.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:29 PM

Bump!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:52 AM

OK, DD is going to have general anesthesia Jan. 31 to have fillings and caps. I just thought to ask this, but has anyone in the allergies group gone through this before? I am especially concerned because I don't feel that we've identified all of DD's allergies. This is because she still has eczema flares for unknown reasons (although it could simply be environmental, I know...)

Anyway, she is highly allergic to milk, eggs, banana, and avocado (therefore probably latex.) Also we avoid nuts, wheat, soy, corn, and citrus.

And, to try to get her eczema under control before the big day, I'm experimenally restricting apples, tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, plums, and grapes. (Thank you Good Papa!)

Does anyone have any advice, for example, I know to watch out for certain IV drips with lactose or dextrose (milk and corn triggers.) I'm also concerned about the sedatives, the gas, well just EVERYTHING! Anyway, if you know of any advice, I'd sure appreciate it. I want to be as informed and prepared as possible. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:20 PM

What kind of fillings is she getting?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:55 PM

Hi Pilgrim!

Ds2 has had two endoscopies so we've had a little experience with it. His known allergies are dairy, soy, egg, corn, peanut, treenut, wheat, bananas and avocados and latex, mustard, sesame, coconut, barley, buckwheat, most fruit and veggies. We haven't had any problems, but I have had to be a little aggressive about making sure they avoid his allergens.

First of all, if you suspect a latex allergy (very probable with banana and avocado), don't leave any wiggle room. When ds2 was hospitalized, we listed it as a "suspected" allergy due to the banana and avocado--and then spent the next week fighting with the staff (drs., nurses, everyone) to take it seriously. Just assume you're dealing with a latex allergy and have every dr.'s office write it in her chart.

From what I understand, there are two common types of general anesthesia. One contains egg. I just told the anesthesiologist (sp) that he could not use the one with egg. The last time, he tried to argue with me. Seems he prefers the one with egg. I told him I didn't care about his preferences. He said kids wake up a little faster with the one that contains egg. I told him I'd prefer to have my son sleep a little longer than not wake up at all because he had a reaction to the egg.

Ds2 is very sensitive to corn; he reacts to the corn found in most medication (sorbitol, glucose, dextrose, etc...) He reacts to the corn used in the bleaching process for white sugar. He reacted when I ate something containing regular baking powder, hence cornstarch. He had an IV drip during his hospital stay--I didn't notice any reaction. Now, in retrospect, he did have really funky weird diaper the next day, but he was being exposed to a lot of crap during his stay. As far as I know, it is almost impossible to get a corn-free drip. If he needed a drip again, even given his positive corn allergy, I would probably allow it...and watch him very closely. If I ever noticed a reaction, I'd insist that they find an alternative. And I'm anal. We compound most of his medications to get rid of corn. I've never heard of lactose in a drip, but ds2 is ana to dairy and his drs. are all very aware of that.

Hope this helped a little!

Missy
Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM

I agree with Missy. No Latex (call ahead) and the type of anthesia. Zach is also egg allergic and Children's in Chicago will not use it on him.

HTH
Old 01-29-2005, 12:20 AM

Oh WOW, oh THANKS! I never dreamed about eggs in the anesthesia!!!

The anesthesiologist was supposed to call me this evening, but that didn't happen. We'll have a lot to discuss before the procedure!

She's getting some resin fillings. I've insisted that there be no metal in her mouth when all is said and done.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
Hi Pilgrim!

As far as I know, it is almost impossible to get a corn-free drip. If he needed a drip again, even given his positive corn allergy, I would probably allow it...and watch him very closely. If I ever noticed a reaction, I'd insist that they find an alternative.
You can get corn free drips, just need to ask for Lactated Ringer's Solution instead of a glucose drip

Seriously?
Old 01-29-2005, 04:22 PM

But what's in a Lactated Ringer Solution?

I did a search and the most I can come up with is the suggestion that it contains dextrose, which is corn. It also contains lactate and those of us with dairy allergies tend to stay away from anything with the word "lactate" unless we can identify the source, which then, more often than not, is corn (if it's not dairy-derived, it's plant-derived. Usually corn, sometimes soy, less frequently potato--all out for us, anyway).

Missy
Old 01-29-2005, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
But what's in a Lactated Ringer Solution?

I did a search and the most I can come up with is the suggestion that it contains dextrose, which is corn. It also contains lactate and those of us with dairy allergies tend to stay away from anything with the word "lactate" unless we can identify the source, which then, more often than not, is corn (if it's not dairy-derived, it's plant-derived. Usually corn, sometimes soy, less frequently potato--all out for us, anyway).

Missy
I have no idea whats in it as we dont deal with corn allergies anymore (outgrew it around 1 year) but its whats reccomended over and over again on various allergy lists by those with corn allergies and a friend of mine with a servely corn allergic kiddo uses it with no problem. Also, just becasue it says lactate does not mean it comes from milk, I can think of at least 4 commonly used lactate's that are not dairy derived.

edited to add: Dextrose can also be derived from potato and grapes that I know of and i'm sure there's a couple other sources.

Seriously?
Old 01-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Also, just becasue it says lactate does not mean it comes from milk, I can think of at least 4 commonly used lactate's that are not dairy derived.
That's why I mentioned it could be plant-derived, usually from corn, sometimes from soy, less frequently from potato. Thanks for the info on dextrose; I've never seen or heard of any derived from grapes or potato. Doesn't make it any better for us, but it might help someone else.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:11 AM

Well in our particular situation, I THINK they should just give her a saline drip, right? I can't imagine she'd need anything but that for a one-hour procedure. That's what they told me too. I'm just going to be SURE by being a pesty parent reminding them over and over again!

Oh, and to top things off - I had a Party Lite Party today. The consultant came and lit all the candles. Well DD's eczema is completely flared up! I hate that she's all flared up two days prior to GA. The good news is now I know one more thing to cut out of her life. I usually have a candle burning at our home. I had no idea!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:03 PM

Saline drip should be fine for her for a minor procedure that will only last one hour. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:44 PM

Old 02-01-2005, 02:22 AM

Well the procedure went well, and I'm exhausted! I spoke with the anesthesiologist about all this stuff. He said that he normally uses Lactated Ringer's and has NEVER heard of an allergic reaction to any drip. But he agreed to use saline only for us.

DD did fine, although she cried a LOT coming out of the anesthesia. But she had no allergic reactions and seems to be doing well now. Thanks for your help y'all!!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:25 PM

I'm so glad it went well!! I know how stressful it can be!

Missy
Old 02-03-2005, 02:19 PM

Glad to hear all is well. I'm happy for you and your babe.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:35 PM

I'm new to the forums here and am thrilled to see this thread! My oldest, who is 6, has food allergies. I knew from the time he was about 2 that he had allergies but it took me 4 years and finding the right DR to get him tested. We finially had the RAST test done right before Christmas and the results show him being allergic to milk, soy, wheat, corn, soy and peanuts. This after he's been on like 11 different meds for the last year or so. He was diagnosed ADHD which we now know is behavorial reactions from his allergies. He also has exzema, and last year developed asthma- all directly related to food allergies. We have modified his diet, which as most of you know, is a real experience! (I am lucky to be good friends with the owner of the local HFS!) He is doing much better and we are weaning him off meds now. I am constantly looking for other Mamas of food allergic children to talk to.

Ooops... I said soy twice. Should have been egg.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Southerngul. Sounds like we are going through similar things - my ds, age 5, is allergic to dairy, citrus & mold (and quite possibly others that we haven't detected yet). He too presented w/behavior similar to ADHD. After we cut out the dairy & citrus he was like a new child. What a relief! Yes, the "cutting out" part is hard, to say the least, and you sure have a lot to cut out. Holidays, birthday parties, school snacks - it's like constantly being the food police, but well worth it of course.

Glad to have you w/us.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 02-05-2005, 11:58 PM

Well, you can count me in. I guess if there's an allergy club I might as well join. We've been dealing with this for 7 years, and frankly, I'm just so sick and tired of it!

It was really quite an adventure at first, trying to figure out all their food allergies and watching to see if they would improve on a restricted diet. But my poor kids have shed so many tears over being different and not being able to eat normally, it just breaks my heart.

So here's our laundry list: ds #1 is allergic to milk and wheat and cannot tolerate sugar. ds#2 is allergic to milk, eggs, tomatoes, and chocolate. ds. #3 is only 5 mos old, but already shows some sensitivity to eggs and milk.

So here's my pet allergy theory: Besides the hereditary factor, a major contributer to childhood allergies in bf'd kids could be the mother's leaky gut problems. She's passing undigested proteins into her milk before the baby is able to tolerate anything but predigested food which is what breastmilk would be in a mama with a healthy digestive system. So of course the poor babe gets sensitized to all kinds of allergens while their digestive and immune systems are still developing.

I know I have major problems with leaky gut, because I have colitis, candida overgrowth, and food intolerances. Lately what has been helping us is pre-soaking our grains, using sprouted grain bread, and lacto-fermentation. I am feeling much healthier now. I also found that I can tolerate fertile eggs, just not regular "fecal farm" eggs. I also found that eating plenty of coconut oil and taking cod liver oil helps heal up the gut and fight inflammation, which contributes to leaky gut.

I was quite underweight before I started eating better (and I had just had baby #3!) I have gained about 7 pounds and feel much better. I also feel there may be an end in sight to this allergy business. I'm also hopeful that some more NAET treatments will help us get better faster.

Anyway, I hope all you other mamas of allergic kids are getting along okay. Hang in there, and keep researching. Allergy avoidance is not the end all and be all. It is possible to heal the body enough to rid it of allergies.

User Tag List