food allergy help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-21-2002, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all! I am in desperate need of suggestions, helpful hints, etc. from other parents about an issue I am having with my son and his food allergies.
My son could initially could not tolerate corn or gluten or dairy. We no longer have problems with corn or gluten, but the dairy allergy has stuck.
My ds is now 29 mos. and this is starting to be a problem. Not because I am having a hard time finding things to feed him, but because I am having a hard time finding things to feed him that are like what the other kids are eating. I knew this day would come. Moose has 2 older sisters and then there are the assortment of friends and kids at the park, etc. Things like string cheese and Go-gurt seem to be following us everywhere these days and ds sees and wants them.
This may not seem like too big a deal, but it is an issue that has come up several times in the last couple weeks alone. For example we had a potluck at the park the other day with a bunch of our friends and we all brought a snack to share. One of the moms brought these squeezable yogurts. My ds desperatly wanted one because the other kids were so excited about them and he loves yogurt. Of course, he does not really understand that his yogurt is soy and I have yet to see that come in a squeezable tube. Same issue with string cheese-I've never seen a string cheese made of anything but cow's milk.
These are just examples (really I don't prefer these things because of all the waste that comes with individually wrapped single serving stuff, but they are out there, and my kids do get them on occasion.) The point is, he now notices that he does not get to eat what everybody else gets to eat and he is very opinionated and does not appreciate that: But, although I of course tell him why he can't -he'll get a tummy ache, rash, feel sick,whatever-he still doesn't get the connection between the food and the reaction and the explanation doesn't help much right now.
I know that eventually it will at least a little bit and I look forward to that, but in the meantime, any advice or snack suggestions would be much appreciated!
--Jennifer, Queen of Making Short Stories Long
#2 of 4 Old 08-21-2002, 06:49 AM

Sometimes I have been known to feed my kidlings high-output waste items, also. Don't kick yourself. Obviously you are a very concerned Mama and deserve credit. It doesn't happen: "Whammo" !!

But you can find ways to improve the situation. A two-and-a-half-year-old is a handful. Bring your own snacks. Would that work?

Can you whisper in his ear that they're "yukkie" ?
#3 of 4 Old 08-21-2002, 09:31 AM

I know what your son is going through is tough, but be greatful you caught it THIS early! I have a milk allergy, found out weahen I was 5. Also, my dd who is also 29 months (today!) and has the sensitivity to it along with 6 others (he is 4 months).

Is the only problem with snacks? He is at the age where he can start making his own snacks, or atleast help with it. You know make it special thing that only he does?? I have seen Soy Yogurt but didn't like the taste of it myself. Dd has problems when dh gets his doritos out! He is the only one in the house that can have dairy, and he is adictied to it! (IMO he might be sensitive to it).

Also you might try over in the Good Eats section, there are a couple threads with food allergies in it.
#4 of 4 Old 08-21-2002, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions-I have tried telling him they are yuckie but he just doesn't buy it, especially since he has snuck tastes of some of these things. We also always bring our own snacks, but you know how sometimes it doesn't matter what any of you have brought, what that other kid has must be better! Actually he does like soy yogurt quite a bit, it is just not very portable.
I do think that since he is 2 and 1/2, it is likely to be a control issue in part and unfortunately this is an area where the lines are much more clearly drawn and some days that can be trouble. Today for example, he went to the fridge and got out a yogurt but when he brought it, I saw it was a dairy one and not a soy. He was in a sweet mood and when I told him that one gives him a tummy ache, he was okay and put it back. (Different story half an hour later when he decided again that one must be the tastiest.) Oh well.
I'll check out Good Eats for food suggestions too, thanks!
Jennifer

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page