Now that we know it is allergies. . . ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-26-2002, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To make a very long story short, we have discovered, after 6 years of wondering what the heck it was that plagued my poor child, that she is allergic to mold. Ta-da (you should have seen this before I decided to post the short version).

So what are our options now. Since we are more or less positive it is mold we don't see any reason to stick her full of needles to establish that. We need help. This last week has been simply hellish (6 inches of rain + a 25* drop in temp for a week + 7 very large trees = very out of control child and crazy mama who is a little slow) so we have got to do something about it before fall gets here and the leaves start falling (about 4 weeks tops, the colors are changing already). I know all I have to do is ask and my Dr. will give me Zertec or something. I hate to have her constantly medicated though. I would rather have something that I could give her just on her bad days. Also something natural or at least without dyes and sugar would be great. Any suggestions?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Sabdra

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-26-2002, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. I'm allergic to mold, too, and I don't know of anything that is a "magic fix." Keeping your interior free of things that can collect mold will surely help, though. Wall-to-wall carpeting is terrible for allergies, as are towels and washcloths that are overdue for washing. We don't even use washcloths. As for towels, I buy the cheapest thinnest ones I can (the thick ones just don't dry fast enough to discourage mold growth here in damp Seattle).

Cutting out dairy products can lessen the severity of respiratory symptoms, since milk etc. thickens mucus. Some also believe that dairy products are and immune-system irritant that exacerbates allergies in general. Get rid of dairy for a week or so and see if it helps; I know folks with asthma that swear by dairy-free diets.

Good luck!
#3 of 3 Old 08-26-2002, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks -

Our house is pretty bare but allergy free. I couldn't believe the difference moving in here made. She wasn't even allowed to come inside the place until the carpet was gone and everything had been scrubbed and aired. We didn't have to go to the Dr. once last winter and the 2 years before that she was in close to every six weaks. Amazing. We should try to eliminate dairy. It is just so yummy though. . Fall is probably going to be our worst time. Too warm for heat, too cool for air conditioining which means we will have to open our window to damp earth and rotting leaves.. Even if the windows are closed there is no escaping it. It is everywhere untill we get a good hard freeze and layer of snow.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page