Tea Tree Oil Allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-12-2004, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me preface this with it may be TMI for those who are not comfortable discussing vaginas..

So I got a yeast infection and I didnt have any vinegar around (1/4 vinegar 3/4 warm water) but I did have tea tree oil. So I put some water and tea tree oil in a bowl, rolled a tampon in it and stuck it in overnight.

The next day I woke up with what looked like bites, they began to multiply. By last evening my hands were incredibly swollen and Benadryl was not working.

I went to the hospital and after using Zantac (blocks histamines) and Benadryl via IV I wasnt much better. So I got a cocktail that involved toradol and epinephrine (spelled wrong) and something else. That helped.

I havent been able to figure out what caused the allergic reaction. Then I remembered the tea tree oil tampon.

Im wondering if you can have an allergic reaction via the vagina and if anyone else has reacted to tea tree oil.

Im better today the severe swelling in my hands has gone down but Im still a bit itchy.

Any allergy home remedies?

Thanks,

Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-12-2004, 11:43 AM

Wow.. I haven't heard of TTO allergies, but anything is possible.. I don't have any remedies.. I hope you are better now though..

Warm Squishy Feelings..

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#3 of 6 Old 12-12-2004, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I am washing all bedding and my bathroom today. I woke up this morning with both my ears swollen and itchy, my hands are itchy and theres even a place on the bottom of my foot!

Strangeness?!

Rose
#4 of 6 Old 12-12-2004, 07:06 PM

I have heard of tea tree oil allergies and sensitivities, so yes it's possible. How much did you use with the water to roll the tampon in? You generally don't need much tea tree oil: a few drops of a high quality tea tree oil is usually enough.

As for remedies for allergy symptoms, I don't have any I can think of other than perhaps arnica gel for the swelling.

Hope you are feeling back to normal soon!

warmly,
claudia
#5 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 03:36 AM

My sister is allergic to TTO. She hasn't had a reaction as bad as yours but she still can't use it.
#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2004, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm allergic to tea tree oil. I've used it cut to less than 50% concentration, just a tiny bit spread on my bad toenails, and had the skin react.

You very much can react to something through vaginal exposure. That's all mucous membrane, thus more vulnerable than regular skin.

For a systemic reaction like that? no natural remedies that I know of other than avoidance of the offending substance.

"What will you do once you know?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page