Wooo hooo! I finally found a great natural eczema treatment!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 105 Old 02-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmtaretu
I'm getting a bit concerned because now my babe can't seem to keep anything down (or in, for that matter). She's as happy as ever, but she is not interested in eating food anymore, and whenever she does try to take a bite, everything comes back up. Her stools are more frequent and are totally loose and gassy -- I can hear the loud gurgles in her intestines when she's on the potty. All this seems to coincide with the cod liver oil and probiotics we have started. Anyone have any insights? Is this normal with CLO/probiotics? We're doing tons of laundry and she seems to be losing lots of fluids. Like I said, I'm kind of worried. I've only managed to get a few tastes into her. I don't think we've OD'd at all. Do I need to start slower?

Thanks again everyone. This is such a supportive thread.
I would take her off the CLO for now. It could also be the probiotics too. I would definately go slower. But both symptoms could be yeast die off as well, I just answered a post a couple days ago about this.

Lipase is in BM, are you still nursing? You can increase your fatty acids and it will reach her with the correct enzymes to digest them.
#62 of 105 Old 02-01-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenluv
Another mom of kids with eczema.

We've battled the beast for 8 years in all. One thing I didn't know was that light therapy is available! I had no idea such a thing existed.
Me neither! what is this?
#63 of 105 Old 02-01-2005, 12:44 PM

Forgive me if I get this wrong, I'm new to this therapy.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the blue spectrum of sunlight that has a natural anti-inflammatory effect on the skin in people with eczema. Our Derm believes he can get our dd clear and off most of the meds in a few months with this therapy. Ever noticed kids with eczema get better when they can be outside in the summer?? Blue spectrum light is likely the reason

Basically, it's a big tanning bed with blueish lights inside. Not a whole lot to the process other than standing in it.

banana.gif

#64 of 105 Old 02-01-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Salt of course, pepper not at all or in very small quantities b/c this is part of the nightshade family. Oregano, basil, onion powder and ginger. (I just looked this up b/c my memory is faulty!)
Thanks, Jane. I've decided today, Feb 1, is the start of my elimination diet. I'm going to be very strict. I figure the only way to do it is to appeal to a higher power! My fix in moments of weakness has been dark chocolate!

I found these in the Elimination Diet, Support & Resources Threadhttp://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=243655under allergies.
Comparing these diets has been helpful. There are some contradictions among them.
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041200.asp
http://www.noaw.com/Elimination%20Di...iet_091503.pdf

Here's another I found:
http://drcranton.com/elimination_diet.htm
This is good:
Sequence of adding solid foods for the food allergic infant
http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample2.html

Greenluv, your poor dd! I hope the light therapy works!

Well off to fix my chicken soup!
#65 of 105 Old 02-01-2005, 09:36 PM

It's funny how this has morphed into an elimination diet support thread -- hope that's okay with the OP! -- but I was thinking maybe we could list some foods we eat as treats . . . In my down (and HUNGRY!) moments, I'll describe this diet as, "Take everything you normally enjoy eating, and don't eat ANY of it!!!" So when I come across something yummy, I think it would be nice to share with other hungry mamas!

Here's what's keeping me going:

--hummus
--guacamole (homemade, of course, cause restaurants will lie to your face and tell you there's no mayo or sour cream in it!)
-- Terra Chips (cause I'm not doing potatoes)
-- coconut milk (makes anything creamy)
-- pine nuts (mmm, toasted!) and sunflower seeds (dh found a sunflower seed power bar type thing for me at Whole Foods recently -- a little weird, but filling and fatty)
-- olives -- the really yummy, gourmet kind
-- Knudson's fruit spritzers (only if citrus is okay) and Reed's Ginger Beer
-- pure maple candy (not for those doing a yeast diet), but satisfies my sweet tooth since giving up the dark chocolate (ouch!)

Anyone else have "allowable" treats they've discovered?
#66 of 105 Old 02-02-2005, 09:24 PM

What about dried papaya spears with no added sugar or sulfites?

I've noticed some contradictions in these various elimination diets. All say no peanuts, but what about tree nuts? And then there are the seeds... I'd love to have some nuts or nut butters!

For breakfast today I had a baked yam w/ a touch of cinnamon, a little rice milk, and chopped apple on it. Banana is also great with it, but I skipped it, because some of the diets say it is a no-no!
#67 of 105 Old 02-02-2005, 09:28 PM

Good idea to share our treats! What about dried papaya spears with no added sugar or sulfites?

I've noticed some contradictions in these various elimination diets. All say no peanuts, but what about tree nuts? And then there are the seeds... I'd love to have some nuts or nut butters!

For breakfast today I had a baked yam w/ a touch of cinnamon, a little rice milk, and chopped apple on it. Banana is also great with it, but I skipped it, because some of the diets say it is a no-no!
#68 of 105 Old 02-02-2005, 09:53 PM

I can't get a straight story on the nuts . . . so I just gave all of them up. Ds1 has an ana. reaction to peanuts, but is fine with tree nuts. Peanuts are actually a legume, so apparently they're more closely related to lentils and soy than to tree nuts, but I've heard peds say that all nuts share a similar protein.

And my ds1 is allergic to banana, primarily bc I gave it to him at 5.5 mos, I believe. Should have waited until 6 mos, I know, but I would NEVER recommend banana as the first food, as LLL does. It is VERY hard to digest (that's why you eat it when you have diarrhea) and apparently is a common allergen among allergic children. So yeah, you might want to cut that. Of course, avocado is in the banana family (and my ds1 is FINE with it) and I would DIE if I had to give up my avocados!

Gotta love that unsulphured dried fruit!
#69 of 105 Old 02-03-2005, 10:34 AM

Yeah, I noticed the various elimination diets were contradictory when it came to avocados-but at 4 am this morning, when I was starving, I had one! I think I will add in seeds. I need something with more fat in it to tide me over.

Poor dd was really scratching last night!
#70 of 105 Old 02-04-2005, 03:41 PM

I don't know if it is my imagination or not, but Jasmine's skin seems to be looking better! Yea!! Today is my birthday-no cake for me! What should I have to celebrate? An olive with a candle in it? If dd's skin is getting better, it is all worth it!
#71 of 105 Old 02-04-2005, 04:54 PM

Happy Birthday Sarah! I'll toast you with a glass of grape juice . . . so funny how that's become a treat! How about a Vann's Blueberry gluten-, dairy-, and egg-free toaster waffle with maple syrup and a candle on top? How about 2? Pour on some EFA oils and you're golden!

P.S. My ds's cheeks are beautiful, too. I'm scared to test and find out what it was . . . please don't let it be tomatoes!
#72 of 105 Old 02-04-2005, 06:36 PM

You kick butt! I wasjust logging on to find a natural treatment for eczema and saw your post. I'vebeen making natural salves for a year now and when dd starting have eczema problems I've been trying to makesomething for her. I was goingto order some lanolin and make a cream, but wasn't sure it would work. I'll give you the recipe for the cream incase you want to change the consistency and store it in a jar or something.

this is for a small amount, I assume you could adjust the ratioaccordingly.
3TBS lanolin
1 TBS sunflower oil
1TBS almond oil
1tsp. essentialoilof lavender

What Iplan ondoingis infusing the sunflower andalmond oil with chickweed and calendula flowers which are supposed to be good for eczema.

Melt your lanolin in a small bowl over a pan of hot water. Add the first two oils (infuse herbs in oil first) and beat well to combine. Remove from heat and cool a little. Beat as the mixture thickens and stir in the lavender oil. Pour into a small jar with a lid.

I'm going to try it, good luck!

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#73 of 105 Old 02-08-2005, 04:24 PM

Well, I've been on the elimination diet a week now, and dd's skin is looking better! It seems to be working. No chocolate for a week! I was thinking that's the longest I've gone in 10 years, at least. I think my body is detoxing. I feel spaced out and kind of headachey.

I'll have to look for the Vann's waffles, Breathe! Maybe for Valentine's Day!

Mamatoady, have you tried your potion yet? I'm wondering about that much lavender oil-I'm a little wary of trying anything with that much scent. I ran out of my homemade lotion and am using Alba Botanical unscented hypoallergenic-but it seems to have a lot of chemicals in it. I'm going to try and get some more lotion made in the next few days. I'm thinking of keeping it very simple, maybe just vegetable oils, VitaminE and the beeswax.
#74 of 105 Old 02-13-2005, 12:15 AM

I want to post an update, in case anyone is curious...

After only a week or so on the elimination diet, we're seeing some results. No more new patches, and the ones we had are diminishing. Yay!

Cod Liver Oil -- I'm so glad I tried the Nordic Naturals Peach (thank you thank you, JaneS). After a couple of days of runny stools and productive belches, we stopped for a day or two, then eased back onto it. She's now getting a teaspoon a day, along with probiotic, and she's totally back to normal GI-wise. Yay!

Coconut milk -- I don't know if this is on any "trigger" lists, but this seems to be working WONDERS for us. We happened upon it accidentally, when my dear partner made a great Thai curry for us. The next day, my skin felt totally oily, my own patches started healing, and my daughters is looking much less enflamed. Wow. I did a short search on the internet and found the following (from http://www.price-pottenger.org/Artic...staglandin.htm)

"Lauric acid, a 12-carbon saturated fatty acid found chiefly in mother's milk and coconut oil, and in smaller amounts in butter, seems to improve the function of the omega-6 pathway.(8) When lauric acid is present in the diet, the long chain omega-6 fatty acids accumulate in the tissues where they belong, even when consumption of essential fatty acids is low. Unfortunately, highly useful and beneficial coconut oil has been forced out of the food supply by adverse propaganda originating with the fabricated food industry, which would rather use cheap hydrogenated oils rather than more expensive coconut oil for shortening."

Of course it may be coincidence, but my gut (and my skin) are pretty sure that the coconut milk really pushed us over the edge to healing A LOT quicker. Just something else to read up on, in case you're looking for more ideas.

Also, I can't stress enough the use of SEA SALT in her baths. We put one or two handfuls in the tub (about 2-4 inches full) and it really makes a difference. Chlorine is so irritating to skin. If your water is as poisoned as ours, you might want to give this a try. Asian food stores sell sea salt in large bags at good prices.

Great support here. Keep on keeping on. It's so worthwhile.

Oh, and here's a diet idea -- japanese yams. Bake them and eat. Totally sweet and wonderfully warm and comforting. Look for them at asian markets.
#75 of 105 Old 02-13-2005, 12:58 AM

ohmtaretu, Glad to hear things are looking up for you guys! Your post reminded me of a very interesting web site I found yesterday . . . Radiant Life was recommended to a friend of mine from a holistic healer as a great source for very hi quality cod liver oil. I went to look at their web site and got totally drawn into their catalog, reading about coconut oil, butter oil and other cool things I'd never heard of. So I've ordered a catalog and am excited to read it for the info, even if I don't buy anything. You guys might check it out -- it has some very interesting stuff about "native" diets, which sound an awful lot like the elim diet!

http://4radiantlife.com/
#76 of 105 Old 02-13-2005, 07:46 PM

I'm a huge believer in the healing power of coconut oil...skin problems, digestive problems and leaky gut.

This book is very eye opening:
The Healing Miracle of Coconut Oil

More info on coconut oil at
www.tropicaltraditions.com and
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...conut_oil.html

We use the Tropical Traditions oil and cream concentrate regularly, it is excellent quality and the best tasting oil. Although Garden of Life that I get in Whole Foods is good too. Spectrum is *blech*.

I forget if it was this thread or another that was asking for treat ideas... (sorry, I've been insanely busy lately)

Coconut cream concentrate on a warm rice cake with stevia is HEAVEN when you are on the Elim Diet.

Also warm rice milk with coconut cream concentrate is a yummy thick hot drink for winter.
#77 of 105 Old 02-13-2005, 08:09 PM

HI all,

I haven't been eating coconut on the elimination diet as the diet I'm following has it up there with chocolate as a potential allergen-but that could mean raw coconut. I'll have to look into it. I do often put coconut oil on dd's skin.

I do have a question. DH smelled dd's recent poops and he has declared they smell like bread which he thinks means she has yeast. They do smell like that-but I thought they had smelled like that all along-but what do you all think? I'm taking probiotics 2-3x/day and giving her some once a day. Should I give her more? Is there anything else I should do?

I'll have to try the sea salt-I was thinking that would dry the skin out more, but I will give it a shot.

Overall, dd's skin looks way better. Tomorrow it will be 13 days on the diet. Today, though, she had some new breakouts. Yesterday we left home early in the am and got back late for an all day seminar on Non-Violent Communication with it's originator, Marshall Rosenberg-it is a great thing-if interested, check http://www.cnvc.org/, so we didn't give her her usual two baths. Also, I accidentally ate a bar with almonds in it-I've been avoiding the tree nuts. So I'm not sure what caused the breakouts.

I've been really thinking about other foods today. I would just love to even have a banana!
#78 of 105 Old 02-13-2005, 09:32 PM

We've been very successful treating the flare ups ds has. When he's getting itching rashes we give him a 5 minute oatmeal bath (no oils in it) every other night, and then we have found a children's cream from www.multistrength.com that seems to work very well. (Same cream is made in Canada but I forget the company....www.phytome.com maybe????) We put the children's eczema cream on the rashes and then cover the rest of his body with jojoba oil, which soaks in well and doesn't leave him greasy. When he isn't in a flare up we bath him less often still using the oatmeal bath and still using the jojoba oil. I totally believe that seeking out the root cause is important although quite challenging. We haven't been able to figure out his triggers yet. But this regime clears up the flare ups fast. Good Luck!
#79 of 105 Old 02-13-2005, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahariz
I've been really thinking about other foods today. I would just love to even have a banana!
I'm with ya, sister. I dreamed about food all night last night . . . the worst was a nightmare of sorts where I was faced with a bag full of fresh bagels . . . the whole dream was my internal struggle over whether or not to cheat and eat one! Is that crazy or what?!? I should be having such dreams about whether or not to have an affair, not over the temptation of an Everything bagel!!!
#80 of 105 Old 02-15-2005, 01:16 PM

Ha! Your dream make sme laugh, only because I had a similar one the other night. I was eating a salad, then I discovered it had cheese in it and other no no's! I didn't know if I should keep eating it or not!

I did try some coconut milk, which was yummy in some hot rice cereal, but I think it caused a flare up-or was it the fact we didn't bathe her that night cause she fell asleep so early? the trials and tribulations!
#81 of 105 Old 02-20-2005, 08:46 PM

Boy, today I had such an urge to make chocolate chip cookies! Instead I made some out of tahini, almond butter, rice flour, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and for the egg replacer I used ground flax seed with water. They were okay... does anyone have any better recipes? I can't wait until this elimination diet is over! One more week! Of course, then I have to start testing. My main concern now is that dd still has some new breakouts-although it has certainly cleared up a lot. She might be allergic to our cats or who knows what else. It will be hard to test accurately if she is still breaking out. :
#82 of 105 Old 02-21-2005, 10:44 PM

That's the yeast talking!!!
Back away from the honey!!!

#83 of 105 Old 02-21-2005, 11:00 PM

FWIW, I agree that the yeast connection is an important avenue to explore, but it is not always the answer . . . we had stool analyses done on everyone in our family and there was no yeast overgrowth found. Nor have any of us had antibiotics since years before I got pregnant, and I took probiotics (Culturelle) thru both of my pregnancies, thanks to the wonderful advice of a fabulous naturopath. For us it appears to truly be genetic . . . eczema for my dad and me and my bro as children; asthma for dh as a child; food allergies for MIL her entire life; and hay fever on BOTH sides of the family. We are atopic with a capital A!
#84 of 105 Old 02-21-2005, 11:13 PM

I think Sarah mentioned in another thread she suspected yeast b/c of the condition of her DD's poops?

I agree with you it's not the only cause!
#85 of 105 Old 02-22-2005, 04:53 PM

My diet isn't really meant to get rid of yeast...as I understand it, to do that one goes on a diet of meats and veggies... no fruits, no grains. I don't think I could do it at this point. With only eating chicken, buffalo, turkey, and lamb...
#86 of 105 Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 PM

Mine wasn't either, but that is what ended up happening... the naturopath and I just put 2 and 2 together after the fact... with my past of massive antibx use.... and mild thrush that coincided when DS was breaking out.

So many people told me I was crazy to think that... and still do
#87 of 105 Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 PM

I am very glad to have found this thread with all this info. My ds is 10 wks old and we have been dealing with allergy issues for several weeks now. It started on his bum but yesterday we realized that what I had been thinking was baby acne is actually exzema (all over his head). I feel so stupid to not have realized it earlier. Anyway, I have been on elim diet for 2 wks today and it has had no impact on his face (although diaper area looks great). I realized, though, that I have had some slips with the dairy (first, not thinking that a little butter would matter then not realizing that something had butter in it). So I am really focusing on getting the dairy and soy out of my diet and going to see what happens. Initially, I eliminated dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, pnuts, chocolate and citrus, but then reintroduced wheat and diudn't seem to make a diff so I'm keeping that in for now bc otherwise I will loose my mind. I've been a veg since 1988 and have started eating meat bc w/o soy and eggs it was just too hard! I have read all different things about how to do elim diet- how quickly should it improve if I've targeted the right things? My pedi suggested using Vaseline on his face- yuk! Has anyone used it?
#88 of 105 Old 02-23-2005, 02:58 PM

SunnyOne, it can takes WEEKS to get your system and then Baby's system clear once you've eliminated all the potential allergens -- that's probably why it's better to cut them all at once and then reintroduce one at a time. I know it's *excruciatingly* difficult . . . I've always wondered how mamas who are veg or vegan do it! (but if you CAN cut the wheat, I'd try to -- it's such a common allergen, maybe even moreso than nuts or eggs, unless your baby is vaxed, then I'd definitely avoid eggs)

Oh, and Vaseline is a petroleum product, and a baby's cheeks are one of the most absorbant parts of his body, so we've always avoided it. We try to use oils: vit E, grapeseed, olive, cocnut, etc. My dh put "Unpetroleum Jelly" from the health food store on ds's face this week, but one of the ingredients is soy oil -- oops!

Good luck, and hang in there!
#89 of 105 Old 02-23-2005, 03:51 PM

I'm so happy that you're finding this thread helpful. Trying to calm down the reactions and find the triggers is difficult but very rewarding work.

Some thoughts about petroleum jelly -- we use it on her legs when she has active patches. We searched for other things and found that nothing seems to work as well. It's slimy and even SOUNDS toxic, but it really helps her stop the itching that otherwise keeps her up all night. We only use it at night right after the bath (IMMEDIATELY after patting dry). I searched these forums high and low for advice about creams. Everyone seems to have something that is a favorite, some even contain fragrances, which I don't quite understand. Anyway, there are a lot of natural oils, I just haven't found anything thick enough to last overnight. I've found that some folks suggest unPetroleum,which might seem more benign, but word of warning: we tried it on her active patches one night and SHE SCREAMED. It must have burned or stung. We had to put her back in the tub and wash it all off -- no easy feat. She felt immediate relief. I don't know about petroleum on the face, though. Maybe a thin layer? I'd hate to get that in my eyes/nose/mouth!

I think the best long-term solution is to hydrate from THE INSIDE, with the oils that other mamas have suggested: evening primrose, cod liver, flax.

I too was a strict vegetarian for years until this excema creature came into our lives. It felt strange to eat meat again, but I was SO HUNGRY all the time and felt impossibly cranky. Since then, I've done a bit of reading about soy and soy products and I'm starting to think that as a vegetarian I totally overdid the soy. I had horrible PMS, had trouble conceiving (estrogen-dominance), and found myself getting....eczema! But this probably belongs in a Toxic Soy thread, which probably wouldn't be too popular around here.
#90 of 105 Old 02-23-2005, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmtaretu
I too was a strict vegetarian for years until this excema creature came into our lives. It felt strange to eat meat again, but I was SO HUNGRY all the time and felt impossibly cranky. Since then, I've done a bit of reading about soy and soy products and I'm starting to think that as a vegetarian I totally overdid the soy. I had horrible PMS, had trouble conceiving (estrogen-dominance), and found myself getting....eczema! But this probably belongs in a Toxic Soy thread, which probably wouldn't be too popular around here.
Oh there are several threads at MDC about the Dangers of Soy, especially since the recent Mothering article.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=234531

My story is similar, I used to be veg as well and had trouble conceiving. Now I will not touch the refined soy: milk or isolated protein products with a 10 ft. pole. One in a while I adore good fermented miso soup.

I started reading about soy at the WAP website www.westonaprice.org and then got the Nourishing Traditions cookbook and feel like I've finally found an optimal diet plan for my family.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page