HELP! Goldenrod in bloom, allergies are awful! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-04-2002, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I could use some advice. Since we moved to VT 2 years ago I have the worst allergies at this time of year- just when the mountain turns gold with goldenrod. I am sneezing thousands of times daily, my eyes are watery and itchy, and I'm miserable.

I feel like I should be able to prevent this. Here is what I am doing:

-taking a homeopathic allergy remedy
-using a Neti pot twice/day
-I eat small amounts of local honey all year long
-drinking ginger tea

I remember an old housemate used to swear by nettle tea. Does anyone make nettle tea? How? Any other remedies or prevention strategies? I am open to anything but pharmaceutical products.

thank you in advance,
jeanie
#2 of 6 Old 09-04-2002, 01:59 PM

It sounds like you're doing all the right things, jeanie. Great to do the neti pot! I remember my chiropractor in NYC always said that allergies occur when the adrenal glands are overloaded, so maybe looking into finding some sort of adrenal support would be helpful. I know he had a line of homeopathic remedies for this. I'm not sure about nettles, but I do use mullein tea, which I think is probably similar. Just putting some leaves and steeping in hot water for a few minutes, or you can get it in droplets. It's also helpful to stay away from wheat and dairy, if you're not already, as those tend to exacerbate mucous production. I'm sure vitamin C and maybe some echinacea and goldenseal wouldn't hurt either. Hope you're better soon--my mom really suffers during goldenrod season also!
#3 of 6 Old 09-04-2002, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladylee,

I knew you were going to say avoid dairy and wheat- they are the two things I can't seem to get rid of. (I was in semi-denial, I knew they were contributing to this!) I love to bake... and homebaked bread goes so well with goat cheese... I'll have to give it a try though.

I've been taking Vit C, I'll have to find my ech/goldenseal tincture and add this to the regimen. And I'll give the mullein I try.

I'll have to look in to the adrenal thing.

-jeanie

I'm actually very excited about a new doctor possibility- there is a new clinic nearby that has everything- acupuncture, massage, chiropractic, homeopathy, and MDs. And its covered by my health plan. I'm going to interview the doctor in two weeks to see if it is a good fit for our family. Perhaps they will have ideas so I don't have to go through this next year.
#4 of 6 Old 09-04-2002, 02:37 PM

I hope they can come up with something--and hey, if you're into it, what about a healing visualization? Imagine yourself surrounded by a protective barrier that deflects allergens before they invade your immune system. It's worth a try!
#5 of 6 Old 09-05-2002, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling so much better!

I went to my yoga class last night and we did all of these postures that massage/squeeze the adrenals. That and the tea and ech/goldenseal seem to have nearly kicked it!

thanks again,
jeanie
#6 of 6 Old 09-05-2002, 02:39 PM

I'm so glad, jeanie--nothing like a good yoga session to clear the toxins out! (wow, I just had a feeling that we've had this conversation before.) I remembered something else I once learned in Chi Gung--take your pointer fingers and bend at the knuckle--use your knuckle to push along the sinuses, down under your cheek bones, and up under your eyebrows--helps to break it up and get rid of it, too!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page