allergy/intolerance and laxatives for 11 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2005, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry this is a long post.

Nitara has been vomting non-stop for a month. She went through 19 outfit changes in 4 days if that gives you any idea. Her Ped GI said put her on continous feeds but that's impossible. She had a biopsy done 3 mos ago while on dairy formula that said she's not allergic to dairy. I'm wondering if she's allergic/intolerant of something else??

Birth to 7 weeks she was on breastmilk with severe reflux episodes. Miserable all the time, stringy green poop, rashes that would not go away, eczema. I tried eliminating dairy and I think it helped but 3 weeks later decided to quit pumping. So I'm not 100% certain the dairy elimination helped or of it was coinicidence. Nitara's reflux goes in cycles.

7weeks-3 mos. I tried some different formulas. Milk ones were totally out. Soy seemed the best for her tummy as far as reflux but it constipated her so badly that I had to use suppositories daily. The hypoallergenic formulas helped the constipation but she was still vomting off and on.

At 3 mos. old she ended up in the hospital for 6 days for FTT and reflux, and feeding aversion. Was sent home with a feeding tube and Alimentum (a hypo formula). She was on that until 6 mos. old, when insurance threatened not to cover it anymore.

I tried her on Good Start Supreme and she tolerated it well 6-10 mos. Episodes of vomiting but that was normal for her. Not different than Alimentum. She actually had 8 glorious weeks where there was very little vomiting, but I could tell she was refluxing because of the spit up and wet burps.

4 weeks ago she started vomiting all the time again. 10 mins. after a feed, and first thing in the morning, sometimes all night long even if I had her on slow drip. No diaper rash but eczema has started to come back a little. The Ped GI has been no help at all. Nothing's working. She was vomiting out her nose and mouth with such force. I was (an am still sometimes) about to lose it.

So 2 days ago I put her back on Soy. No vomting at all since!!!! I mean none! She's happy again. Enjoying life. Problem is that it's going to constipate her. Today's bm was only about 1/2 of what is normal. Tomorrow's will probably be worse.

First of all, do you think she could be lactose intolerant or something? The Alimentum is lactose free but she didn't do that great on it after awhile. It does have small bits of dairy in it but they are so broken down that food-allergic kids should not be bothered by them. What do you think is going on?

Secondly, what is a safe and effective laxative product to give to an 11 month old that won't cause too much gas or discomfort? Today I put pureed apricots down her tube. Still waiting to see if that works or not. I can try prune juice but it might be too gassy. Any other ideas? Her Ped GI is on vacation still.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 04:29 PM

Poor bunny and poor mama! What an ordeal you have been through

Has she been tested for galactosemia?

I took slippery elm when pregnant and experiencing constipation, it is a mucilage and very gentle and very effective. What I know of it is that it is known to be benign and healing. Do some research on it re: her age and see what you come up with.
http://www.alternative-healthzine.com/html/1100_2.html
Old 01-02-2005, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

I just read up on galactosemia and I'm pretty sure she doesn't have it. She had all her newborn screenings, some immune system tests, kidney and liver tests, etc etc. All came back normal. She's developmentally on track. It's just the vomting. Ugh.

Thanks for the info on slippery elm! I'll have to look more into that. I just gave her a bunch of oatmeal with apricots for lunch. Hopefully that will work but if not I'm open to alternatives.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 01-31-2005, 02:15 AM

poor baby! It sounds like she has some major reactions

I would consider talkign to your pediatrician about the options of a goats milk based forumla to see how that would settle for her since everything else causes her such upsets?

I have heard some good success from children with intollerances.
It may be worth a try?
I can't imagine giving a baby laxitives, but then I can't imagine a baby throwing up that much either! You poor mama and poor baby.

I hope your little one is doing better
Old 01-31-2005, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to give an update. She's still on soy formula and doing really well on it!! Not constipated at all. I give her 1-2 oz. of pear juice every day and it's keeping things moving along. I'm also going to start giving her one blenderized toddler meal a day after I run out of babyfood jars. I think she ought to have "real" food even if it's through the tube.

Darshani

Old 01-31-2005, 01:12 PM

oh, i am so glad you found a sollution that works for her!
I bet she will do better and better as she is able to vary her foods more when she is older
I'm really glad to hear the good update!

User Tag List