hives -- allergy, virus? - opinions wanted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-10-2005, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sometime between mid-day Jan 1 and the morning of Jan 2 my dd broke out with mild hives. She had a pretty good sized patch on her right buttock/hip, light bumps on her hands, and some on her knees.

I first noticed it Sunday morning. Dh said she was rubbing her hands on his scruffy face during the night. She didn't seem overly uncomfortable so I've just let it ride it's course. But, it's now over a week later and she still has some light rashy spots and it still itches her.

She had hives once before at 9 months but those were all over her body and I'm convinced it was a teething reaction. This time does not appear to be the same thing other than both are hives.

Dd has no allergies that we know of. Dh and I have very few (dh none and me only some past contact skin reactions to things like laundry soap). So we've been trying to guess if this is some sort of food allergy or something else. She ate fish on Jan 1 -- she has eaten it once before with no trouble but FIL is allergic to fish and others in dh's family have allergies to other foods and things. She wore a new outfit on the 1st but I washed it before and in soap that I had been using for several weeks prior. Then I thought maybe she had some virus but she hasn't run a fever or had any other symptoms of illness.

Any thoughts from folks who have more experience with allergies and rashes? I'm stumped and curious but don't really want to run to the doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-10-2005, 01:24 PM

I had hives when I was a kid a few times and it was always allergy induced. All of my allergies are environmental, though.

It sounds like fish could be the culprit- sometimes the body wont react until after it's been exposed more than once. Have you tried benadryl or something similar? If that helps it clear up, I would assume it's allergy, if not virus. Not much help, I know.

Good luck trying to figure it out.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 3 Old 01-10-2005, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks -- yes, I was thinking that if the fish is the culprit, it might have taken a more significant or second exposure to create a reaction that was noticeable. We gave her a small amount of benadryl last night. I guess I was surprised that the hives would stick around this long after the fish (assuming that's the reason).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page