Food allergy question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-11-2005, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can a child be allergic to a color in food? I know that sounds weird but my baby has some severe food allergies to an assortment. Dairy, wheat, assorted fruits. We haven't narrowed them all down yet. However, I do know that he is allergic to carrots, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash but not necessarily the other foods in those categories. Could there be something in the color of the food?

P.S. For other mamas with highly allergic children - watch out for things other than ingestion. DS #2 found his nostril this past week. Very intriguing experience for him. Unfortunately, he got ahold of a piece of his brother's cheese and even though he didn't eat it he did stick his finger up his nose and had a severe asthmatic reaction to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-11-2005, 08:58 PM

I wish I had some help. But, that is interesting.
It wouldn't surprise me that certain colors could cause a reaction. Except, I would expect it from artificial things, not carrots and such!
My dd is allergic to peanuts and some tree nuts, so we haven't had the color issue.
I will do some research and get back to you. Best of luck!
#3 of 5 Old 01-31-2005, 02:05 AM

I don't know about color, but I wonder about possible additives or colors added to non organic veggies (to make them look lovely in the store?)

or groups/families of foods such as having an allergey to the legumes or nightshades etc.
?
#4 of 5 Old 01-31-2005, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

I hadn't thought about the non-organic side. I will try the organic baby food carrots and see what happens.

Here is a new one for allergies that I had not heard of and it would have to happen to me. I am almost fairly certain that the baby is allergic to FLAX. When I went through the elimination diet last year it was the one thing that I didn't give up because I was told it was so good for him. I need to test for one more day to be certain though.

Ahh, the intricacies of allergy testing.
#5 of 5 Old 02-01-2005, 08:57 PM

Flax seed is a legume and some kids who are allergic to peanuts, soy, beans, or other legumes are also allergic to flax seed. My son is allergic to both soy and peanuts, but, thankfully, never had any problems with flax seed.

It's probably a coincidence that the veggies your son is reacting to are the same color; but, the suggestion about organic vs. non-organic produce is a good one. There was an article recently about the wax used on non-organic fruits and veggies. Seems the wax can contain soy, corn or casein. Scary. Doesn't help you with the carrots or sweet potato (they don't wax those. I don't think) but it does make you wonder...also, if you suspect a problem with latex, sometimes the employees wear latex gloves to stock.

HTH!
Missy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page