Roll Call!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 127 Old 01-31-2005, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought it would be nice to know who have allergies in their family.

So;

Who??
How old are they??
What kinds of allergies?? and how long have you known?

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 127 Old 01-31-2005, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'll start.

Who?? DD2
How old are they??She almost 11mths
What kinds of allergies?? and how long have you known?She allergic to dairy. I'm avoiding eggs also. I stop eating dairy since she was about 2mths and eggs since she was 4mths.

And dd2 is lactose intolerant. She 2 and She hasn't had milk since I knew from her sister.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#3 of 127 Old 02-01-2005, 12:09 AM

I am lactose intollerant and I have found out that gluten gives me eczema (yet I have a hard time totally eliminating it!)

Bean is cannot have gluten or dairy at all without severe responses. She has a very sensitive system so we try to keep it varied. Foods that may not irritate her do irritate her if she has them in too large of volumes or too close together...so we are always dancing the line with which foods are on the good and bad list.
But it is getting better.
Gluten is the main culprit.

Bella appears to be gluten and dairy intollerant as well, although we did not let her go through anywhere near as much time for testing. She had diarrhea and plumited in the growth charts from over the 100% to below the 3%. When we took the gluten and dairy out of her diet the diarrhea stopped and she gained 4lbs within 6 months, putting her up toward a 10% for her age now.

So...gluten and dairy are our main avoidances as well as trying to eat organic non processed foods and pasture fed meats.
#4 of 127 Old 02-01-2005, 12:18 AM

Who?? Me and DD
How old are they?? 35 and almost 4
What kinds of allergies?? Mine are: Sun (really), lamb, anything caustic (peppers, curry, mouthwash, clove oil, cinnamon candies, etc.) Shellfish, mushrooms, multiple meds, various environemntal and pollen, etc..... DD is allergic to corn and anything that contains it in ANY form (believe it or not, her 1 allergy is harder to deal with than my multiple)
and how long have you known? Mine have popped up slowly over the years. Hers I have known about for almost all of her life, but only got validated by a Dr a few weeks ago.
#5 of 127 Old 02-01-2005, 12:26 AM

Who: DS, and DP
How Old: DS is 3 and DP is 27

DS Allergies are: Eggs, Milk, Oranges, Penacillin, and various environmental allergies

DP allergies are: Legumes, Gluten and Penacillin

We have known about most of DS allergies since the first year of life, but the penacillin one was just discovered, and DP has known about his legume, and penacillin allergy all his life but just recentley in the past 3 months discovered his gluten allergy.
#6 of 127 Old 02-01-2005, 01:11 AM

Who??
Me
Nitara

How old are they??
Me (I'm not telling!)
Nitara, 12 mos.

Me, allergic to all kinds of pollens, dust, and molds. I was tested and got shots from age 9 years to about 28 years old.

Nitara, who we think has some allergies based on bad mouth rashes she gets after eating certain things, and GI problems. There's something going on with dairy but not sure if it's an allergy or something else. Nitara also has severe reflux and is fed via g-tube.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#7 of 127 Old 02-01-2005, 01:23 AM

mommytomjm, we were off corn for most of the past year, and you are right...it is in EVERYTHING!
It is insanely difficult if not nearly impossible to cut out unless you are growing your own food or have a good farmers market nearby!

I feel your pain and hope she may outgrow some of it...hopeful but probably not likely!
Luckily, corn does nto seem to irritate bean too much (we just reintroduced it so knock on wood that that holds true!)
#8 of 127 Old 02-01-2005, 01:27 AM

Who: DD, 20 months old
Allergies: discovered milk allergy at 2 months. The rest keep showing up, but here's the list: severe known reaction: milk, eggs, banana, avocado, scented candles (just learned this one!)
suspected and therefore removed: nuts, soy, wheat, corn, citrus
sometimes removed on rotation (still trying to figure it all out): tomatoes, strawberries, pineapple, grapes, plums, apples, bell peppers, potatoes
#9 of 127 Old 02-01-2005, 07:17 PM

Who?? ds2

How old are they?? 2.5 years (our baby, youngest of three)

What kinds of allergies?? His known allergens are: dairy, soy, egg, corn, peanut, treenut, wheat, bananas and avocados and latex, mustard, sesame, coconut, barley, buckwheat, most fruit and veggies. His most severe allergies (known ana) are dairy, banana, avocado and latex. The others have varying degrees of reactions. Some things we're still discovering, mostly via breastmilk. We've recently learned that both capers and cilantro are out.

and how long have you known? We've known for a little over two years. I've been on a strict elimination since that time. He was a very sick little guy.

Missy
#10 of 127 Old 02-01-2005, 09:08 PM

Who? Ds

How old are they? 2.5 yrs

What kinds of allergies? Tested for Peanut, Soy, Egg. Suspect Strawberry and Sweet Potato and has a Sensitivity to Dairy. I should note that we are going to a chiropractor who is "fixing" ds and his allergies appear to be gone or greatly diminished.

How long have you known? Suspected Dairy from about 6 months. Tested at 1 yr.
#11 of 127 Old 02-03-2005, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Who??
me and dd

How old are they??
29 and 4

me: gluten, nuts, strawberries, rice, beef and milk (I sneak that on occasion though) I've known about nuts and strawberries for about 10 years and the rest almost 5 years.

dd: its more like what can she eat? her biggie allergies are gluten, beef, milk, soy (we've landed in the hospital more then once for milk/beef/soy ) nuts, cherries, tomatillo's, & seafood. Her reactions are mostly severe GI reactions (LOTS of vomiting leading to dehydration) that cause severe gastritis and ulcerate her stomach within a day They got more aggressive with her treatment about 4 months ago after a severe flare (sitter was giving her McD's french fries and not telling me so she kept getting worse) and things have gotten a lot better, she's eating me out of house and home now! She loves health food to boot and even got her 2 little friends to eat dried apricots tonight Since moving her from Prilosec to Previcid 4 months ago she's grown about 4 inches and gained at least 4 lbs! To top it off she's off her elemental formula now! (still nursing at least 1x day though! ) We found out about most of these in dd first few months of life, no sign of out growing them yet and she's almost 5.

Seriously?
#12 of 127 Old 02-03-2005, 08:39 AM

So glad to have this forum!

My ds, age 5, is allergic/sensitive to dairy & citrus, mold & possibly other inhalents. We are figuring this out on our own (allergy testing showed nothing). His reactions are both physical (hives, rashes, red ears & cheeks) and behavioral (hyperactivity, inattention, defiance, meltdowns). We just started to make the allergy connection about 6 months ago. Since eliminating the dairy & citrus, he is like a new child.

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#13 of 127 Old 02-03-2005, 02:30 PM

Hi! I'm glad to have this forum!

My dd, Mason, has allergies.
She's five.
She is anaphalactic to peanuts and some tree nuts.
We carry an Epi-pen jr. with us everywhere.

We're not sure about Luc, yet. Hopefully, he won't have allergies!

Wendy
#14 of 127 Old 02-03-2005, 06:43 PM

Who? DD

How old are they? a bit over 5 months old

What kinds of allergies? sensitivity to dairy protein. We suspect there might be another (or more) sensitivity but haven't found the culprit quite yet.

How long have you known? suspected from birth, but finally identified it about 4 weeks after she was born
#15 of 127 Old 02-03-2005, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa
mommytomjm, we were off corn for most of the past year, and you are right...it is in EVERYTHING!
It is insanely difficult if not nearly impossible to cut out unless you are growing your own food or have a good farmers market nearby!

I feel your pain and hope she may outgrow some of it...hopeful but probably not likely!
Luckily, corn does nto seem to irritate bean too much (we just reintroduced it so knock on wood that that holds true!)
Wow, it is so nice to meet another person who is doing this...I keep telling DH that we needto eliminate it in case she ever eats, he says he can't live without corn wha????? She has too....sigh I feel like she should at least be able to eat anything in her own house.

As far as outgrowing it, ain't gonna happen, they told me that at 3....and especially since no one listened to me and they kept exposing her to it until 10 weeks ago...we are very lucky it isn't a anaphylactic reaction....yet....Have you found the avoiding corn forum on Delphi?
#16 of 127 Old 02-03-2005, 10:29 PM

Who?? My son and I
How old are they?? 14 months, and 24
What kinds of allergies?? and how long have you known? We both have Celiac's...so all gluten--oats, barley, wheat, rye...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#17 of 127 Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 AM

Corn is a serious pain, isn't it? When we first started this journey, before I knew all the corn derivatives, I thought soy was awful. But corn is in EVERTHING!!

Missy
#18 of 127 Old 02-04-2005, 11:10 PM

me 35
ds 6 (dust, dust mites, food dyes...no official testing, my observations)
dd 2 1/2 (Sesame Seeds, Peanuts, Eggs...from official rast test)...there's a bunch of other stuff we avoid for her...tomatoes, beef, dairy, legumes, avacodos. This stuff tested ok, but I don't trust the tests.
I took dairy out of my diet when dd was two weeks old, I'll probably never go back. I have lots of environmental allergies, and probably dairy. We have never had a anaph. reaction, but I do carry an epi pen jr. Sesame seeds are in LOTS of things, and not always listed. We just found out about the sesame seeds and eggs. I rotate wheat/gluten and soy, just to make sure she doesn't start having a problem with it. She still nurses quite a bit, and at times I feel overwhelmed, but it has made our entire family healthier by eating better!
#19 of 127 Old 02-05-2005, 01:06 AM

circlemama, that is good to hear you are eating healthy and feeling good about it!

AllyRae, I wonder if you knew you had celiacs first or did you find out after your child was tested?
We didn't do the biopsy test on bean because of her young age and the invasive nature of it all, but all signs point to Celiacs for her. I doubt we'll ever reintroduce gluten. Like Circlemama, I do feel like we eat MUCH healthier now, though!

Mommy2MJM, we didn't eliminate entirely. My dh is stuck on his gluten and junk. At meals we all eat the same foods, but after the girls go to bed he can eat whatever he wants as well as all day when he is at work etc.
So we have one cupboard for junk (like corn chips for dh

Wendy, it must be hard to always be prepared for an allergic response like that! I can only imagine!
I hope your second will be allergey free

Kari, Hello! nice to meet you and I am wondering how you found out at such a young age?! I wish I would have figured all this out sooner for the girls!

Max, we also went through the "new child" behavior changes! Although bean doesn't react to corn in any other way that we can see, it does change her behavior quite drastically.
I think she is starting to grow out of that, or maybe it is a combination of age and being off the other offending foods, but she has left behind many of the adhd and autistic traits that were there before. A new child indeed!

Satori, that is really exciting!
I'm glad she loves her GOOD FOR HER foods!

Wendy Grace, is that NAET treatments?

Missy and Pilgrim: you two must be experts on the elimination diet. Did you make up your own system of testing or go by a written guide?
#20 of 127 Old 02-05-2005, 11:22 AM

Who? My dd Zoe, and possibly some of my other children
What? She probably has Celiac disease, had positive bloodwork but no biopsy (like Lala, I thought the biopsy was too invasive at her young age).. improvement on GF diet. Cannot eat much citrus, dairy, or chocolate without having diarrhea. Still trying to figure it out. She was also very small for her age and still is at 25 lbs at almost 3 yrs old.
When? Started having diarrhea a few months before turning 2. Lots of bloodwork later, here we are.

I have to say it is very, very nice to have our own forum now. Dealing with the gluten free diet has been hard for our family. I still am dealing with alot of emotions about it, 9 months later. It is nice to have a place to come vent.
#21 of 127 Old 02-06-2005, 02:07 PM

Me 32 no allergies and DH has no allergies
DD 13 months allergic/sensitive to dairy/soy/wheat/oats/eggs/avacado/potato/sweet potato - vomits with all
Currently on a 3 day rotating elim diet and she has not vomited in two weeks
Holistic ped believes either vax or exposure to a virus (she has never had a cold or ear infection) caused her immune system to weaken ( allowing major yeast overgrowth) and then go into overdrive and attack all these random foods. We're doing everything we can to heal her little system, but he warned me it would be SLOW. She hates to eat and drink and only weighs 16# at 14 mo old.
#22 of 127 Old 02-06-2005, 03:03 PM

Hi Mama's!!!! I am Sooooo excited that we got our own board!!

OK here goes...

Elle 3/2/04 she is intolerant to...

Dairy
Soy
Wheat
Carrots

She also has a mild case of acid reflux

Elle is still breastfed so I am on a very restricted diet. She cannot tolerate dairy or soy in even the smallest amounts so there is not cheating for me It was really hard to adjust to this diet for me in the begining but now it is not so bad.

I suffer from severe seasonal allergies and extreamly severe eczema that started after my last Tetnus shot in 2000 and gets progressivly worse each year. I don't have any food allergies but my dh is lactose intolerant and our dog Ditka is allergic to Corn :LOL
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#23 of 127 Old 02-07-2005, 06:43 AM

Lovin` this new forum.
Me 36 allergic to bee stings
Maya 15 months allergic to eggs, dairy, and soy
we avoid seafood, tree nuts and peanuts

We found out about the eggs at 2 months and the dairy at 4. She was also allergic to wheat, but she out grew that and developed a new allergy to soy.

I live in Japan so it is not the *hidden* soy that is hard, it is all the out in the open soy! I worry that I over did the soy after we cut out eggs and dairy and nuts and wheat. It is a cheap protien source here... I am not sure if we will ever know if that is what caused the soy allergy to develop.

It is only in Japan where you find soy sauce in Italian dressing and Indian curry!!!

She is not ANA, thankfully as epi pens have *just* been approved in Japan.

I have been on the elim diet and have had a few struggles. Thanks for the warm wishes LaLa. Maya got rashy and was having increased night wakings after I cheated a bit too much. I am back on track now and her skin looks better. We should bathe less frequently, or not as long... but she loves her bath time soooo much. In Japan the tub is deep so we all hop in together, it is such a great family time for us I just can`t quite give it up, so we are going for a few times a week instead of everyday.

Warmly,
Kathryn
#24 of 127 Old 02-22-2005, 11:00 PM

Who?? DS, Owen

How old are they?? 16 months

What kinds of allergies?? Corn, dairy, egg are confirmed. Strawberry is suspected.

and how long have you known? The dairy I suspected around 7 months, when he reacted to yogurt. It, along with the corn and egg, were confirmed by an allergist at 10.5 months. The strawberry I started suspecting a couple weeks ago and have cut that out. Will probably reintro around age 2. We are also avoiding peanuts, tree nuts, and shellfish. I will probably consider introducing them around age 4.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#25 of 127 Old 02-23-2005, 03:54 PM

I so don't want to be here...again....but here goes

Me: 29, allergic to mostly enviromental stuff, but I believe maybe wheat and dairy.
DS1: Now allergic to wheat, dairy, corn, red dye, and other stuff. He used to be allergic to 40 different foods, but after a trip to the homeopath, dairy was the only thing that lingered.
DS2: Possibly eggs (I craved them during his pregnancy )

I'm b/fing both of them, so eliminating them from my diet as well. I haven't given up eggs yet, as I'm just so freakin' tired of eliminating crap.

He is now becoming allergic to more foods. I had the best 3 months of my life mamas after our trip to the homeopath. I ate miso soup (soy), corn chips and guacamole, spelt flour!! It was incredible.

Right now, we are living w/a true to life monster. I hate to say it, but I really don't like him anymore, he is incredibly violent--trying to kill our cats, throwing things, hurting us (he leaves DS2 alone--thankfully). I am prying him away from this or that all day long. I'm very tired.

I must say though that reading mountainmon's post caused me to rejoice. DS1's allergies started after a vax (his first and last). After his birth (hospital) he was hospitalized in the NICU and received countless antibiotics. I know these 2 things messed everything up.

We have another visit w/our homeopath scheduled on 3/1, but in the meantime, I'm thinking of starting a new protocol

No yeast
Probiotics
Cod liver oil
EPO
+ eliminating the other stuff he is allergic to.

mountainmon--you said "SLOW", how slow? 6m? A year? I just want some kind of time frame....

Thanks
Amy

Edited to add: My sister came down w/lupus and hypothyroidism after her MMR booster shot. She is now pregnant and plans to fully vax her son

Oh, and my dog Birch is allergic to cow in all forms. He didn't want me to forget. :LOL
#26 of 127 Old 02-25-2005, 06:40 PM

Who? DD ~ 21 months

Her face has had a rash for 2 months (started after a bad fever) so I just started trying to figure it out. I am starting by eliminating cow dairy (I've heard conflicting things about goat dairy) from her diet but my husband keeps forggetting! She has mostly been off cow dairy for 3 weeks and there does not seem to be an improvement- but she did not really eat a lot anyway.

But I think its EGGS!!! I am excited that I may have some definitive evidence on the cause of her eczema. We had eggs 2 days in a row and after the second time she got red bumps on her face beside her eyes- where she has never shown any ecaema or dry skin. They appeared within 20 minutes and went away after ~40 minutes. I just started giving her eggs as a meal at ~14 months and she only has them ~ 1X/week. But I guess they are in a lot of other foods she eats too.

I have only ever used coconut oil on her but I wonder if I should use something more potent. I try to avoid petroleum based oils and fragrance. But treating the cause seems more worthy--

I am amazed at all the moms here who have 'gone the distance' with your elimination diets. You should be proud of yourselves!!
#27 of 127 Old 03-04-2005, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrine
Who??
Myself, Michelle, my girls, Beth and Samantha

Quote:
How old are they??
Me? Hmmm Beth is 8 and Samantha is 4 1/2
Quote:
Me, since I was 6 on the dairy. I just found out two years ago that my dad has celiac (long story) and so I probably do. Samantha shows lots of symptoms of being celiac and she has been dairy intolerant since birth. Beth is dairy and suspected gluten intolerant but few symptoms of the gluten. They have been completely GFDF since April 2003.
#28 of 127 Old 03-05-2005, 01:11 PM

Who?
DH and DD.

How old are they?
30 years and 16 months.

DH has had eczema, asthma and various allergies since he was 18 months old. As a teenager he tested allergic to dust, mold, cats and dogs but was not tested for food. Recently he tested allergic to wheat and corn. Since DD was born, his eczema has been worse than ever, possibly due to the happy stress of having a baby in the house?

DD's eczema started showing up when she was 3 months. She's tested allergic to wheat, dairy, corn, cane sugar, and tested sensitive to soy. We stopped the testing for the time being due to stress. I suspect she also reacts to orange juice (citrus), peas and maybe beef. Can people be allergic to beef?

The eczema is the main thing for us, it takes over our lives and is sometimes unbearable. DD also throws up if she eats certain things (peas, citrus, beef). She wheezes and breathes with difficulty at my parents' house (reaction to cigarette smoke? mold or pollen?). We visit rarely and she has to use an inhaler there.

She had one episode at home where her upper lip and the side of her face swelled up. It seemed very much like an allergic reaction, but we're not sure to what - possible an antiviral medication she was on, or to food (she's eaten some lamb and dill rice from a restaurant). That was frightening, but it resolved itself within a few hours.

How does an anaphalactic reaction start? Is it different from an asthmatic reaction? I feel like she's going through every possible allergic reaction a person can have, so I want to be on alert.

We are seeing a new pediatrician this week, and a new dermatologist with the next few weeks. Our holistic ped has nudged us in the direction of more conventional medicine. We've been working with an allergist for a while now. We've used steroid cream sparingly but whenever we stop using it the eczema rebounds, so we're off that now. We've tried Claritin and Zyrtec, and Protopic, with no notable effect. We use Benedryl several times a week. DD's eczema showed up before she'd had any vaxes or antibiotics. Recent antibiotics and vax's did not seem to effect the allergies or eczema in our case.

We're on a gluten free, casein free diet, and trying to generally avoid the other foods. It's been 2 months, and I haven't seen any change, but we haven't eliminated everything, certainly.

Since November we've been dealing with recurring viral infections of both DH and DD's eczema (eczema herpeticum, the cold sore virus, which goes crazy on people with eczema like ours - makes me wonder if DD should have the chicken pox vaccine, since chicken pox may also be complicated by her eczema. I have to do some more research on that). We were in the hospital with DD's initial infection, but recent outbreaks have been less severe, thank God.

My MIL was just saying what an incredible resource the web is for people in our situation. She felt so alone when DH was a baby, like she was the only person in the world dealing with this. What a support it is to have you all here. Thanks!

Best to you all,
Panda
#29 of 127 Old 03-16-2005, 06:31 PM

who: me and DS1
how old: me 27 ds1 25months
What kind and how long have you known:
Me all bell peppers and melons. I could eat them as a child but when i went through puberty I could no loger eat them I can't even touch bell pepers w/o breaking out in hives .
DS1 we are still tring to sort it all out but he is def allegic to dairy and he possibly has ciliac altough my gut tells me he does not. He had a + IgG on his 1st screening in oct but he came down with croup the same day the blood was drawn so we are in the process of trying to do another blood draw. He was supposed to have a RAST in oct as well but the friggen lab didn't get enough blood! I've known something was up for about 9 months but we've only just become + about the milk protien this month when I became what dh calls milk nazi!

I look forward to getting to know all of you and hope I can pick your brains for some much needed BTDT advice

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#30 of 127 Old 03-20-2005, 10:04 PM

Who?? DD
How old are they?? 26months
What kinds of allergies?? Dairy, treenuts, eggs, mustard, beef, lamb, pork, seefood, rice,dog,cat,dust,feathers,tree pollen
and how long have you known? I've known something wasn't right from birth but was tested at 1.

The pros of this is we eat very healthy and i've lost tons of weight. The cons are we are on a very restricted diet and have to make sure we are getting enough nutrition. We carry the epi pen but thankfully we haven't had a reaction bad enough to use it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page