Questions about dairy allergy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still sort of a newbie when it comes to understanding all this, and have some questions about dairy allergies for any of you who have had to deal with them.

First, here's a quick background: At 2 months old, ds developed eczema in his diaper area. I asked my doctor if it could be something in my diet, since he is exclusively bf'ed, and she said no, probably not. She gave us Elidel to try, but on a hunch I quit eating dairy products- since I seem to get eczema more when I eat dairy, and have a bit of a lactose intolerance, I thought maybe it was bothering ds too. I cut back on dairy and started him on a homeopathic remedy, and his eczema got better; and then I quit dairy entirely and w/in 2 weeks, his eczema cleared up completely. He has had 2 flare-up since, and both times I accidentally consumed milk products because I didn't read labels of something I ate. We never used the Elidel.

So, today we had him at public health and the nurse asked if he had allergies. I told her about the dairy in my diet and his eczema. I asked if it could be lactose, and she said that there is lactose in human milk, so if he did have a dairy allergy, it was probably due to the proteins in cow's milk. I thought that maybe the lactose molecules in human milk were different than in cow's milk, but she said no, lactose is lactose is lactose. So, my first question would be is she right about this?

Second, if it is an allergy to the protein in milk, is there a way to make it more digestible? I am curious about other's experiences here. I have been reading Nourishing Traditions and the author talks about cultured dairy products. Has anyone here with milk allergies tried any of these with any success?

Third, I am wondering about organic vs. non organic milk products, and what people's experience with these were as well as raw milk in comparison to pasteurised milk.

I bought some organic butter and am going to try making ghee (clarified butter) soon. I hope to try some other organic cultured milk products. I am also anxiously awaiting springtime because I will then have access to raw goat's milk. I am keeping my fingers crossed that ds will be able to tolerate some of these things.
#2 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 06:39 PM

Ok quick post will try to dig my info up later.

Lactose is in your milk, however it is lactose made for a human baby not a cow's baby way different. She is wrong on that, ignore her.

2nd ~ one there is the theory, But if I were you I would avoid it. Why mess with it when he is cleared up.

Org vs pas no difference that I have heard, the proteins and such are the same.

Goat's milk has the same proteins as cow's sorry
#3 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 06:46 PM

Hi!

Sorry to tell you that the nurse, unlike many medical professions, was right.

My son's dairy allergy is his most severe. His first symptoms, too, were eczema via breastmilk (first showing at two months) and now, at 2.5 years, he's ana on contact. Lactose is lactose and very, very few babies, if any, have a lactose intolerance. Reactions via breastmilk are due to the proteins found in food. Organic products have no fewer proteins than others, and, if his allergy is at all significant, he won't be able to tolerate butter either. My son's first ana reaction was to a drop of yogurt on his skin. It never touched his mouth. So, obviously, we don't see any difference in cultured products. The protein is still there. The best way to help your child outgrow any allergy is to practice total avoidance of the allergen. Every time he is exposed to it, it revs up his immune system and keeps it on hyper-alert. You want the immune system to forget the allergen.

Also, please keep in mind that 95% of dairy allergic people are also allergic to goat's milk because the proteins are so similar. Some people (that other 5%) get lucky, but for us it isn't even worth the risk to try.

I hope this helped; I know it isn't easy in the beginning!

Missy
#4 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Jessica and I x-posted. In a big way, she's right about the lactose in that human lactose is made for a human baby. But, the idea is still the same. A baby isn't going to react to lactose.

Sorry--I tried to over-simplify it. (I have the flu--can I use that as an excuse for taking the easy way out?)

Missy
#5 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 06:59 PM

Most dairy allergies are from teh casien NOT the lactose.

Lactose is the sugar and casien is one of the protiens.

Nurses who give nutritional advice drive me nuts. (tho mothering moderators are not the end all be all in advice either )

We have a diary allergy, big time! My dh gets arthritis like symptoms when he eats it. He has eliminated his back and joint pain with a dairy free diet. My kids are both dairy free.

Organic milk is no more digestible than regular milk. Still has the casien in it. Organic milk is usually ultra pasturized as well. Remember lots of good stuff gets killed during pasturization. Stuff that i believe helps folks digest it. We tried raw milk cheese over Christmas. My dd said it hurt her belly just the same. Raw milk has all of the enzymes in tact.

Hope this helps!
#6 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 07:22 PM

The other dairy protein is whey. Some people have an allergy to the casein, some to whey, some to both. In the end, it doesn't much matter which protein is the problem--it's very hard to completely separate them out. Kind of like having an allergy to just egg whites and trying to separate the egg to eat the yolk--it's almost impossible to remove all of the white from the yolk.
#7 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

So I'm still confused; do I need to avoid foods with lactose, or just with casein/whey/milk protein? (Granted, many products contain both, but some foods only have lactose listed as an ingredient). Ds doesn't seem to be lactose intolerant.

I'm really surprised by how many foods contain one or the other. I've almost had it completely with refined foods!! :
#8 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Foods with lactose would still contain traces of the milk proteins (kind of like my description of separating the egg). Now, lactate can have several different sources (such as corn or potato) so you have to call the manufacturer to find out what it's from. That's a heckuva lot of fun because frequently they get their ingredients from a separate distributor and they have no idea what it's derived from. All possible sources are out for us, anyway.

It gets easier...
#9 of 9 Old 02-02-2005, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Well, thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

On the up side, I've been making some really great new dishes and discovered a newfound love for coconut milk!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page