Amoxicillin Allergy? HELP!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-02-2005, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, the sick kid thing is making me crazy. I caved and got amoxicillin for my kids monday cuz they have been battling too much for too long and their immune systems are in a weakened state. They both had ear, nose and eye infections going...
So now we are three days into it. And my dd last night broke out in a hivey rash like a diaper rash all around her Yoni. I don't know whether to continue the antibiotics (which have cleared up her eyes and seem to be helping with everything else) the other thing is that she has no appetite...could be part of the nose running...
but I can't figure out what to do next.

I have been dealing with so much illness since october (they both had chickenpox and have been ill every 2-3 weeks ever since)
I am just beside myself - don't know which way is up anymore.
!!!! help! is there anything I can use topically and still give her the antibiotics to continue clearing out the rest of her funk?

immediate advice sorely needed, before I lose my marbles!
#2 of 5 Old 02-02-2005, 01:17 PM

I would call the ped ASAP. If it is allergy, you will probably be told to stop the medication right away and give her benedryl. She might be given a different, unrelated antibiotic.

My dd is allergic to amoxicillin and we went through this. They don't usually show a reaction until they are well into the treatment. In my dd's case, she was actually on the second to last day before she broke out in horrible hives, with a fair amount of swelling.
#3 of 5 Old 02-02-2005, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you suspect an allergy, stop giving it immediately!

Hives were my first symptom of a penacillin (sp) allergy. With every dose it can get worse. The hives can spread to her throat and cut off her air passage. I don't want to be alarmist, but please, please, please, don't give another dose. Talk to the doc about another antibiotic if she still needs it. You will want to stay away from all antibiotics in the penicillin/amoxicillin family.
#4 of 5 Old 02-02-2005, 02:00 PM

Definitely call the ped ASAP. I have a -cillin allergy. It was discovered when I got my first dose and my tongue swelled up, turned orange, and then split open. It was really lucky I didn't stop breathing.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#5 of 5 Old 02-02-2005, 02:28 PM

While I agree that you should call the doc, since you don't want to mess around w/a 'cillin allergy, it sounds to me like you might be dealing with a yeast infection, if that's the only place she got the rash. Something to look into.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page