Experience with caprylic acid or oral nystatin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-03-2005, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I'm so glad to see and allergy forum - YEAH! This was needed.
Have any of you mamas ever had your babes on caprylic acid or oral nystatin for overwhelming yeast overgrowth - I'm talking yeast rashes in 5 diiferent body areas! I have dd on all the other good stuff and have had caprylic acid mentioned to me and was reading about it in The Yeast Syndrome last night. We're waiting on stool test results to confirm the yeast and then the doc probably wants to put her on oral nystatin for a month. He said all the natural stuff really doesn't work when the yeast is this overgrown for many months. She has been on Candex for a week and a half and I'm hoping this will kick in so we can stay the natural med route. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-05-2005, 04:43 PM

I don't think capryllic acid would be very good for a baby. I was on it for about 3 months and it did not make me feel good. Also, capryllic acid does not work well in the gut because unless it is suspended in some form of fiber, it just goes directly to the liver and bypasses the bowels.

How much in the way of solid food is she eating? If you give her cereal, you could try adding coconut oil to it. It's a very effective yeast killer (and not just yeast either). It has capryllic acid in it, but more importantly it also has lauric acid which is not only better at killing yeast, it's also something that is needed for brain development. The most effective thing to do would be to mix it in something like sweet potatoes or cereal so that it's metabolism is slowed down and it has a chance to go to work on the yeast in the gut.

Other safe foods that have anti-fungal properties: olive oil, butter has butyric acid (only if she's not allergic). You can bandage a slice of garlic covered in oil to a foot over night and it will enter the system thruogh the skin. Just take care to remove it in the morning so it doesn't start to irritate.

(nak) Have you tried probiotics? Either feed her yogurt every day, or find a good probiotic powder for her.

There's lots more, but I'll just give a link to a good Candida treatment forum. I got a lot of support there and learned a ton. www.wholeapproachforums.com
#3 of 4 Old 02-05-2005, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Myjo,
Thanks for the forums. I learned quite a bit. Yes, I have her on probiotics, Omega 3 oil, and candex for the yeast. She is on a 3 day rotational diet which has done wonders for the vomiting. Her holisitic doc wants to put her on compounded nystatin when we get the results of her stool test. She is healing SLOWLY. Thank goodness she is only 13 months and will bounce back much quicker than if she was older.
#4 of 4 Old 02-06-2005, 06:32 PM

We had nystatin for AJs' thrush when he was about a month old and all it did for him was give him a belly ache. Gentian violet worked well for the mouth and nystatin cream worked well for yeasty rashes in the diaper area though it would work on other areas I'm sure.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page