Safe at daycare??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-04-2005, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. I've never posted over hear but have been awaiting its arrival.

We just found out Ds#2 is allergic to eggs and peanuts and were told to avoid all nuts and shellfish. He also has a few environmental allergies to watch. We were told to live egg and nut free due to the extreme response to the skin test. Now I find that I must go back to work, full time and will need at least two full days of care for both my boys. I'm getting ready to start calling around and any info would be great.

What questions would you ask, right off?? Do you prefer in home care or a center type?? One with a nurse on staff?? We are new to the whole daycare thing until this point and it really scares me.

Thanks so much
#2 of 8 Old 02-07-2005, 12:40 PM

Hi Sara ~ We found out about Zach's allergies after he was already in daycare and they have been FABULOUS about being careful. We are also in the nut, egg catagory with a scattering of more thrown in.

We went with a center type as they were willing to work with us, though some people do prefer home daycares. We are using Tutor Time and they have been great to us. All the terachers are CPR and epi-pen trained. We provide all of Zach's food so we don't have to worry about contamination or mistakes (except when he steals stuff ). Our center was aso able to work it out with corporate to give us a discount due to the fact that we would be paying for food that he doesn't eat so worth checking into.

Also get a medic alert bracelet, you can get one from medicalert.org it is $35 and they keep all of the information on file and you can update at anytime. I found we were taken more seriously after we got ours.

Definetaly ask about their policies regarding food allergies, if they have any enrolled, amd such.

HTH
#3 of 8 Old 02-07-2005, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for responding Jessica. I started to call around and found a large center that claims to be a nut and egg free facility. They are also willing to use cloth diapers. I'm looking forward to touring and really talking to them.

All the other places I called said if there was a problem they would just call me. (I guess they don't get it.) They didn't want to mess with the Epi-pen.

What type of MedicAlert would you recommend for a baby? Would a small bracelet work?

Thanks
#4 of 8 Old 02-07-2005, 01:30 PM

Acck! I can't imagine anyone saying they "don't want to mess" with an epi-pen. Like anyone does! But it sure beats a dead kid! RUN the other way from those centers!

Good luck with your search. I have only dealt with older kids who were that allergic and knew that if they started feeling weird or even THOUGHT they MIGHT have gotten into something they were allergic to to head straight for the nurse. Not even ask permission- just GO.

-Angela
#5 of 8 Old 02-07-2005, 01:44 PM

When I called and talked to the medicalert people and went with what they suggested which was this one the basic bracelet. A156 Child's Standard.

Where in IL do you live? I ask cause I live in the South Suburbs of Chicago You can just be general. LOL
#6 of 8 Old 02-07-2005, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

I live just across the river from St. Louis, MO. It's nice being this close to the city without all the traffic and crime. We get all the advantages though.
( Childrens Hosp., art centers, ...)

We are going to order ours today. Just need to figure out what to put on it.

One of the private home daycares we called was run by LP Nurse and she didn't want to talk Ds.?? That one really surprised me. Oh well. I have time to look or fix my house up and do my own daycare. Who Knows...
#7 of 8 Old 02-07-2005, 03:22 PM

When you call they will help you put what is best on there. Zach's says "Asthma Life Threatening Food allergies Call Immediately" It then has a code number and their phone number.
#8 of 8 Old 02-08-2005, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarakay2
Thank you for responding Jessica. I started to call around and found a large center that claims to be a nut and egg free facility. They are also willing to use cloth diapers. I'm looking forward to touring and really talking to them.

All the other places I called said if there was a problem they would just call me. (I guess they don't get it.) They didn't want to mess with the Epi-pen.

What type of MedicAlert would you recommend for a baby? Would a small bracelet work?

Thanks

Run like heck if they dont want to deal with epi's but do take the time to report them so they can learn more about Tittle III and ADA law which says they MUST take kids with epi pens and administer them. Calling the parent to come do it doesn't cut it. I spent yesterday reading about tittle III since i'm looking for a new sitter too. oh yeah, you can force them to go nut free if you really wanted to push it thanks to ADA law

Seriously?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page