Help!!!dd/dairy Allergy/diarrhea!!!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need a shout out from some mommas who deal with dairy allergies. My dd is 18 months and has had a severe dairy allergy since birth. We are fanatical about reading labels and 21 days ago I screwed up. I accidentally gave her Carnation Instant Bfast in her soymilk(someone had recommended it to help her gain weight). I thought it was just like Ovaltine, something you stir into milk. After she had slugged the whole thing down, I picked up the box to read the label about calories, etc and the first ingredient was NonFat Dry Milk. I nearly died. So we start her on the usual homeopathic allergy remedy which usually keeps her stomach from hurting so bad. And the only times we have ever had slip ups (rare) we had 2 days of crying and then diarrhea that reeked of rotten milk 2 days later. Well, this time, it didn;t happen. Within hours she was bouncing off the walls screaming, and we didn't get diarrhea for 10 days. We know that dairy protein is in there for 14 days, but this time her body didn't flush it out. On day 12 the diarrhea was so bad I started her on Isomil DF. specific for soy babies with diarrhea. She stayed on it about 5 days and then seemed to be back to normal so I pulled her off and put her back on her regular Toddlre Soy Form. Well this diarrhea has continued off and on now until now(day 21 since screw up) and I have been taking her to the Chiropractor because her behavior was crazy, it was like I had given her a drug that she had a reaction to. Now she is back on Isomil DF because today her poop is like water again. She is not feverish, she doesn't act sick and she 's through teething. I realll feel that the cows milk washed away all the good flora that my milk had left in her. She has been weaned from nursing for 4 months. Is there anything I can give her besides massive doses of acidophilus for her intestines??I already have her on a bland diet( bananas, cheerios, eggs, toast, etc) And we've cut back to just ice water and Pedialyte besides the formula. Any suggestions are welcomed!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2005, 10:19 AM

I wonnder if that slip up didn't cause her to become sensitive to something else for a while. I know AJ had a bug that I think lead to his temporary egg allergy. She does o.k. on the soy? Neither of my boys handle dairy/soy well. Acidopilus is all I can think of too. sorry.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 02-22-2005, 11:25 AM

ya know that most homeopathic remedies are in a lactose base? ]]

We went to soy from going off dairy and after about 10 months of soy, my dd developed the WORST allergy to it. She reacts very badly to soy.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

The soy formula of any sort is fine... But I have noticed that giving her soy beverages of any sort (more than about 8 oz every other day) causes her to have loose poop. I have completely taken her Silk soymilk away while all this is going on. As soon as I have this next one(3.5 months) I am planning to pump my milk and give her that in a cup or bottle. A df who is a pediatriacian emailed me and told me toddlers are bad to do this...lingering diarrhea even when they feel great. They call it..chronic nonspecific diarrhea. She said medical literature says it will go away when they potty train Can you imagine?? Her rear end would rot off if she keeps up at this pace. I have commited us to 10 nonstop days of Isomil DF to see if we can conquer it. And yes, I noticed that homeopathic remedies are in a lactose base, I just tried to only use them when It was absolutely necessary. The dairy remedy happened to be a liquid remedy that was not a lactose base.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanley
We went to soy from going off dairy and after about 10 months of soy, my dd developed the WORST allergy to it. She reacts very badly to soy.
Almost the EXACT same thing happened to DS, also! He has a dairy allergy among others. (had never seen TRUE projectile vomiting before, until he had dairy). He thrived on Soy Formula while I supplemented with it. For DS, the soy allergy was triggered by a severe flu that our ped (an osteopath) said basically ate away at his already super sensitive tummy lining. Dr. W reminding me of that likely being the problem, made me realize that us weaning DS back onto the soy (after just doing clear liquids during the sickies), was the culprit of his prolonged severe diarrhea, poor baby. His tummy just couldn't handle it anymore. After he finally recovered (a month after coming down with it), we found that Rice Milk is all he can tolerate now.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:48 PM

I might consider looking at eliminating other potential allergens. It looks like that's all she's getting right now (wheat, soy, eggs...) It might be bland, but it's packed with potential troublemakers. I'm not saying she has multiple allergies, but it does happen commonly where there's one, there are more. My ds (dairy) also had/has a banana allergy! Go figure...they're *supposed* to be so benign! Anyway, the chronic diarrhea sounds like it might be wheat/gluten...just something to look at.....We do daily acidophilus at our house, too---it works pretty well.

s

Sounds like mamas milk will be a great addition for her---that's wonderful!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2005, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Wow what a lot of possibilities....I never thought about her having multiple allergies, or the "bland food" I was giving her causing trouble and I also never thought about her suddenly becoming intolerant of soy. We tried rice milk way back when and she really hated it. With a purple passion!! Soy was all she would take, and FWIW, she self weaned very suddenly at 13 months when I became pregnant again. I was not really ready at that point, but she moved on and went to a bottle like "whatever mom". Keep on posting while i figure this thing out......
Old 02-23-2005, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamamom
We tried rice milk way back when and she really hated it. With a purple passion!! Soy was all she would take,
That used to be my guy as well. Have you tried the flavored Rice Milk, like Vanilla? Or Liam really loves his with a pinch of strawberry syrup in it, just enough to give it flavor. Well, he'll love it until he possibly develops an allergy to strawberry that is.. thankfully that's not the case yet!

Or, you may try just cutting out the soy all together for a trial run and put her on clear fluids for a bit to calm her system down and see if indeed soy is the culprit.

Oh, and straight eggs cause mucousy poop for all 3 of my kids (if the eggs are baked into something the kids don't react), so like someone else mentioned, that could be a part of the problem, as well.

Just some more brainstorming...

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:34 PM

we have the same story as full of grace and chanley...soy was a life saver at first and then turned out to be just as bad as dairy over time.

BUT the worst culprit was gluten

I would start a food journal and pay CLOSE attention to those other "bland" foods to pin ponit what it might be!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 PM

Here are Zach's allergies
Egg, Peanut, Dairy, Wheat, Corn, Peas, Rye, nine times out of ten, dairy allergenic children are Soy sensative. Also if she is hurting that bad, dye-free Benadryl might help,, call your trusted advisor and get their opinion, but it works for Zach.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Oy Oy Oy Oy!!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 02:43 AM

Old 03-06-2005, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

I am reviving this old thread to let all of you know that..........................................EVER Y SINGLE ONE OF YOU WAS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! Earlier this week we had tummy viruses, all of us. And dd has become totally intolerant of soy, which was her mainstay. I also tried to ease toward rice(instead of all that wheat) and she threw up what looked like rice cakes, which she had for the first time that day!! I have bought rice milk in vanilla and plain, and plan on trying a sip of them maybe a couple of days from now. Thanks for all your help, I've been so fed up with not knowing what was causing all these problems, and FWIW, she had normal poop for the first time in over a month!!! YIPPEEE!!
Old 03-06-2005, 02:08 PM

I'm glad you found the problem, hopefully she'll outgrow it soon!

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Old 03-09-2005, 05:28 PM

Oh Yes very common. FWIW you don't need Milk. Zach actually doesn't drink a milk type substance. Juice, water and vitamins. If you want a decent one check out *****'s Dari-free, it is potato based but works well!

HUGS
Old 03-10-2005, 05:01 AM

Thanks for letting us know! Hope things continue to get better and better. Yay for "normal" poop

For us, once all the detective work was done, eliminating was the *easy* part, and now that we know what we CAN eat, things are so much better.

Hang in there!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

User Tag List